New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Free contest to have one of your sculpts 3D printed and sent to you

I have been getting my work 3D printed for about 5 years, and I have owned a 3D printer for about a year.

It's really a great experience to hold something in your hand that started in your mind, went through the computer, and ended up as an actual object.

I did computer animation for over 12 years before I ever got to hold one of my models in my hands. I want other people to experience that awesome feeling, so I am having a contest where you submit an image of a model you digitally sculpted. I'll pick my favorite one and 3D print it for you, and mail it to you. All for free. If you live outside of the USA though, I may ask you to pay for shipping since overseas shipping has just gone up a lot recently

Keep in mind that my decision for the winning model is totally based on my own personal taste mixed with what models I think are likely to print well. Items with very small features like an arrow in a bow and arrow will likely mean I can't consider that model for printing. Also, I tend to like cartoon style sculpts that have a sense of humor about them. But, submit what ever you want.

The winning print will be between 2-5 inches tall. The final size I choose will be based on how long it will take to print. Some 5 inch prints only take a few hours, while other 5 inch prints could take 20-30 hours. I can't give up use of my machine for more than 10-12 hours for free. The color choice will be up to the winner as long as you choose between the colors I have available at the time.

You keep all rights to your model, and only grant me permission to print one for yourself and one for myself, and that's it. I won't print any more, nor will I share your model with anyone else.

Only submit up to 5 models per person in the form of a jpg render of the object that shows 2-3 angles.

The object does not have to be hollowed out, and doesn't need to have any texture maps since the final print will all be one color.

You can submit the images to me privately or on this section of the forum. The winning model when sent to me will have to be in the form of an STL. Zbrush can export to that format using the 3D print exporter plugin.

I will post a photo of the final 3D print from the winner of this contest here and possibly on my website. The photo will contain full credit to the designer of the original model.

The contest will end July 17th (one month from today). I may cancel the contest if there is low participation so make sure to submit early.

sorry for the small picture. i cant figure out how to make it bigger on here. this is the only picture i have right now, but if you think there is any chance of me winning, ill send side and back shots.

sorry, guess it actually wasnt small, lol

Hi Lotus,

So far you are the only person that has submitted for the contest.

Like I mentioned in the original post, if there aren't a lot of people that participate, I am going to cancel the contest. So, unless quite a few more people submit, it won't happen.

As far as your model goes, the fingers and possibly the tips of the hair will not print well because they are too small. So if enough people submit for the contest, to keep your model in the running you will need to put the fingers together, and probably poss the character in a way that the hands are against the body or in a fist.

I'd recommend a dynamic pose for making it more interesting as well.

But, you can wait to make those changes until after you see if more people submit for the contest.

For anyone that would like to have their model printed, but doesn't want to join in on this contest, I'd love to find out why you chose not to join in.

I had assumed that a bunch of people would want to be a part of this. Before I had my printer, I'd have jumped at the chance to get something printed for free.

thanks for the tips. i really dont know much about 3d printing other than that its really expensive unless you have the cube. im pretty knew to this whole thing. btw, is my model bad?