Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Is sculptris no longer supported?

I noticed when going to the pixologic home page. they are promoting zbrush but there is no download or section up for sculptris anymore. Has sculptris died? am I late about something??

Just curious.

Default Okay.

Spoke too soon. the link is now at the bottom of the page.. I would like to see pixo at least update this program one more time. I believe the program would have a very bright future if development was still going on (I assume it is but maybe there is no rush)

Quote Originally Posted by selahpoetic View Post
    I believe the program would have a very bright future if development was still going on
    And so Pixologic thinks. That's why they bought the thing before it could grow more menacing.

It's Snow White without happy ending.

Member Follow User Gallery

I saw that they were supposed to be developing it up to a sculptris version 1 and that is why this is in beta--when i inquired about whether there would be an upgrade of any caliber, I received silence.

Still, this is an awesome sketch program and I intend to keep on using it. Serek, sooner or later our prince will come. Keep your fingers crossed.

Maybe mudbox will pick it up, LOL.

I asked about Sculptris at Siggraph 2012 (last year). They told me they couldn't talk about any developments on it but specifically did say that DrPeter was working on it. They told me they don't know why he's not active on the forums.

That was about a year ago. Still not a single update on anything Sculptris while Zbrush has made some major steps in its arsenal. That tells me that Sculptris is dead. They might update it without warning like they do with Zbrush. However Zbrush has pushed Sculptris completely out of my workflow. Sculptris is severely lacking some basic tools and functions any 3D program should be able to do. Too bad as it has great potential, even if it's a stepping stone into Zbrush.

Hopefully people might ask more at Siggraph this year then?
    But considering that Z4R6 just appeared with no warning an announcement, it could be that the same thing happens sometime with Sculptris. I'm hoping so, anyway.

Default aaaahhhhh

not this again ........

Well people are always going to hope. Whether it's Dr Marcus or Pixologic, unless they say otherwise, people are going to hope that there is still active development.
    And so if people going to Siggraph can actually ask the team first hand, while I know they won't say anything specific about if ther is an upcoming release (I know you firmly believe not, and you may well be right), it would be at least the decent thing to tell their users.
    Don't get me wrong, Sculptris is great, and I hope there is more development of it, but it is very useable as it is. I have had Zbrush since version 2, but for just picking up and sculpting I prefer starting in Sculptris, then GoZ'ing it across.

(as a side note, I know there is moderation of posts and I understand why, but is it a certain number of posts before it gets shown without the hours long delay?)

New Member Follow User Gallery

I have great respect for Sculptris and its author but in my opinion Zbrush has evolved past the point of needing to be connected to it. The fact is that Dynamesh/subtools/panels/polygroups/shadowbox/clip curves/automatic retopo give you more freedom than adaptive geometry alongisde more control.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the automatic retopo and dynamesh don't turn out to be the precursors to some form of native adaptive subdivision inside of Zbrush at some point. I think that they first want to see whether or not they can get it to be compatible with polygroups.

That's my theory.

Default re

And don't forget how far Blender has come since Sculptris started, was just coming into the new 2.0 facelift! Now we have 2.67 with Cycles, Dyno-topo (Similar to Sculptris), Multires (Similar to Zbrush), Shrinkwrap and Snap-tool (for Retopo), plus all the other goodies.
    And Wings3D now has a 64-bit version (it's experimental and buggy but it works) plus your normal maps work,and better sculpting tools.
    Honestly I'd love to wake up and see a new Sculptris update, but I've also learned that it's possible to do most of what you want from Zbrush with a combination of these free-wares. It takes more time, and some imaginative usage, but works fine!!