Default Gesture Sculpting from life - tutorial (nudity)

Hello guys,

I started a digital sculpting class at Double Negative, and I've always promised that I would do a tutorial running through how I approach a zbrush sculpt when working with the model.

The format of the class is that we work from a model, who just holds one pose for the duration (3 hours). Sometimes we'll run it over two classes, so it's 6 hours, but still it's a limited amount of time to get a full figure sculpt in, which is a nice way of forcing yourself to consider only what's vitally important for capturing the gesture of the pose and the character of the model.

Well it's been well over a year since I initially promised it, but here it is. The tutorial spans two 3-hour model sessions, as well as an hour or so of time working without the model. I've chopped it into 4 parts, but it still tips the scales at around 2 hours, so it's a little bit lengthy I know - I did feel that if I sped it up any more I wouldn't be able to explain stuff in any real amount of depth.

Well, hopefully some of you find it useful. Feedback on the tutorial itself would be great, I haven't done these before and was... a little self conscious to say the least

Tutorial:

Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:

Final result turntable:

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Wow..this is magnificent! Thank you for sharing the tutorial as well!

Beautiful sculpts ! Thanks for the tutorial.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks a lot Chris for taking the time to doing these finally! Love your style and it is great to see your workflow! Your sculpts have such a tangible feeling of weight and balance to them. Very inspiring!

Markus

Thank you for sharing! It's very interesting to watch!
    You could show us a higher res images though

Member Follow User Gallery

Wow amazing stuff ! Thanks for sharing ! Your work is great ! Pleasure to see it up here .

Thanks,

Hristina

Thank you guys, especially you Markus, because you're my delicious little man.

Nebular, fair enough, I didn't realise how small those pictures had gotten. Here's the same images but higher res

I'm sticking in another image, which I'm not sure is really in keeping with the thread, since it's a study from a painting, rather than from life, but it's still unpolished so I'm not going to give it it's own thread! The original painting is by Jacques-louis David, called "Patroclus"

Thanks for posting these. I love the sculpts. Can't wait to dig into the videos!

Very cool! I only watched the first video so far but found it very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic, thank you for breaking down your process!

---------------------------------------
    Jake Raymor Portfolio Website

I'm really liking the gestural sculpts, very cool.
    I enjoyed all of your videos and found them to be informative and insightful.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

Guys, thanks a lot for taking the time to watch and feed back, really appreciate it!

Here's another quick sculpt, which I did as a concept for a pitch on a film. It's Lucifer before his decent into hell.
    Done slightly backwards from the approach I talk about in the tutorial - this time I roughed in the sculpt from imagination, and brought the model in for a session at the end to help tighten things up.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for sharing, that's a really interesting approach.

Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up

Chris this was excellent to watch and made more sense to me a as clay modeller. I liked the workflow which reminded me of welding on chunks of wax or clay as opposed to the other way in digital, definitely looked and felt more like sculpting on screen. A big thank you for taking time to do this. hope to see more examples in the future.
    always hoping to learn....

all the best every-one!

Tim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast