Senior Member Follow User Gallery

It's like with every sport out there - you need to keep training all the time, a break is always few steps back. But from what I can see with your work, you are on so high level that these few steps didn't really affect you result (maybe the proces at least).
    You rock man, great sculpt, superb anatomy and pose!

nice study

Thanks for the kind words! They really mean a lot.

@jpericles
    agreed, the perspective is strong, but I kind of wanted to emphasize the thrust of the hips. But I should definitely work on my presentation. Even these quick renders are a step up from the screen caps I was posting in the beginning.

@nebular
    yep, you're right, I can definitely feel my sculpting skills atrophy whenever I take a long break. It's too bad my day-to-day work is mainly in max, I only squeeze these in when I have the time/energy. It's strange, actually, how sometimes I'm really feeling the need to sculpt, whereas other days, once the kid is in bed, all I want to do is play Hearthstone.

@Intervain
    Thanks! I wish you'd post more often, your work is awesome!

Anyhow, I should have another quick study for tomorrow.

So I was about to post my latest study this morning, when I noticed that Tiburone had just posted a sculpt with pretty much the exact same pose. Welp. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Anyhow, this fellow was waaay easier to sculpt than the hip lady. I'm guessing the large muscles and strong shapes had something to do with it. Same with old vs young faces, you've got something to grab onto -- bumpy is easy, smooth is hard. All in all this sculpt took less time to do than usual for me, which I'll count as progress.

I thought the sucked in stomach gave him an interesting, wasp-waisted quality, especially with such massive lats. I worked from a photo, no exaggeration on my part at all. If anything, the real man had even bigger thighs.

I spent significantly less time on the back. That untouched spherical skull is bothering me now.

I really didn't want to do hands again - I tried importing them from an older sculpt, but it just wasn't working. In the end, once I finally forced myself to sit down and do it, they turned out way better than I thought, and didn't even take that much time. There's a moral to this story, I bet.

Looks really convincing. I like it.

Wow, great study!

Amazing work, cant wait to produce work like this.

Excellent sculpting! Great pose. Great anatomy. I like it. I like it alot.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

Fantastic! I love the piece and the pose is awesome also!
    https://www.artstation.com/maximusin3d

"There is no tomorrow!"
    -Apollo Creed

Hey everyone, here's a new sculpt. It took a while, but I'm happy with the result. I really should start doing quicker sculpts, though, a full figure like this takes too long.

As a special treat, I'm including the wip of the head, just to show what is possible with a lot of persistence. It's quite embarassing how crappy the initial stages look, actually. I used reference, by the way, so I guess I also got to practice likeness. See if you can guess who it is.

the usual wip:

this is really quite mortifying:

Fantastic work!
    Available for full-time/freelance
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/jonbrandao

Default Awesome work, dude

Very nice sculpting on the form, it works even without the details. And the pose looks natural, too. As for the head, you got me: Who is it supposed to be?

In the WIP for the body, it looks like you finished up the torso after it was posed? Did you use Poseable Symmetry? I could never get it to work right for me. Seems something always goes off-center and the brush strokes don't match up.

Or did you do it the hard way, and sculpt it asymmetrically by hand?

Member Follow User Gallery

Looking good, man! Keep it up!

Thanks guys!

@TheArtMonkey
    Yep, I posed everything really early on, which meant no symmetry. I tend to sculpt that way - I like the practice (ok, not really, but like vegetables, it's good for you), and in dynamic poses forms tend to look really different, so you might as well sculpt each side separately. One downside to this approach is that dynamesh fuses everything together, like the legs here. I haven't yet figured out a workaround which doesn't mean getting an outside 3d program involved or finishing a sculpt first, then posing. And I'm not telling who I based the face on - it's not really important, as it wasn't meant to be a likeness per se. Honestly, it even felt a bit creepy, like making a fake nude. So maybe it's better this way.

very nice man! keep them coming!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast