ZBrushCentral

Female Anatomy WIP (Some help would be nice!)

Hey guys, so this is my first attempt at a female in Zbrush, been working on it for the past few days and here is where I’m at so far:

Would really appreciate some feedback on this, I think it’s looking pretty good so far but as this is my first attempt at female anatomy I think it would help getting some criticism from you guys to help me improve the form before I step up in poly count.

PS. I havn’t been able to do too much with the fingers and the back due to not having enough geometry in those areas lol.

The model is currently sitting at 45,000 active points and I am using the default “BasicMaterial”.

Attachments

body01.jpg

body02.jpg

Not a bad start. You seem to have a general idea of the form.

Here are a few things that stood out to me though:

Head should be a bit larger

neck skinnier

Her nose is too wide at the bridge

eyes should be larger

brows too pronounced

ribs and waist should be thinner

not so much “lumpiness” in the bicep/tricep area

top part of wrist should be larger

torso is too short

shin area too long

thighs a bit thicker

shin bone slightly more curved

feet should have crests and valleys more defined

I think that’s everything so far. I also based it on the 8 head rule. Gives a really good idea for proportion. Another good thing is too work at very low sub division when blocking in forms. You get a much more nicer shape that way. You should also try to work in the flat color matcap. Gives you a nice silhouette of the form.

Hope all of this makes sense and is somewhat helpful

1.jpg

Wow great post thanks a lot, the legs you reshaped there look really good, I’m going to make alot of changes now, thanks!

With that said I just want to add that I’m actually working from reference with the head using Rooney Mara as a model, and I think the changes you made to the head I won’t be able to do without going too far from her, heres a close up on the head:

head01.jpg

Altho looking at it again you’re right about the nose bridge anyway and yeah the eyes are too small… so… Back to the drawing board :smiley:

Ok heres an update, pretty much used your advice to a Tee :lol:

And thanks a lot @sankar82 , I think its looking better already! :cool:

Very cool. The form is getting there.

I think you are still working at too high of a sub division level. Knock it back like two divisions. That should help you round out the overall shape better.

Do you use spotlight or Image plane? They will help a ton with blocking out the shape by laying an image of your reference on top of the sculpt. I prefer spotlight, but Image plane is pretty helpful as well. If you’re not too familiar with those, Youtube will have some pretty good tutorials on them. Try them both. See which you’re more comfortable with.

Did a quick mock up of the head. To me, her eyes still look too small, nose too short, and cranium is very small. I’m not too sure if you’re going for exact likeness, but this should still help with overall proportion:

![head3.jpg|464x733](upload://pLTRd3DSMO1dvAVWfTGWZiSt2w3.jpeg) ![head4.jpg|464x733](upload://odYRiWEkH7uXR4ZjWtywNUICwNa.jpeg)

Attachments

head4.jpg

Ok thanks again! Really appreciate your help.

I’m not using Spotlight or Imageplanes at the moment, I’ll try them out, I’ve just been using the See-Through slider at the top right with my references in the background so far. :lol:

The problem I’m had before when trying to make her head bigger is when I try to make her cranium bigger, she looks like some sorta alien… lol I’ll try again anyway!

Been trying really hard for the past hour but I just can’t seem to make it resemble her at all, not sure what I’m doing wrong I’ve been messing with the proportions for hours, I’ve had the proportions line up perfectly with the reference image but for some reason the model just always turns out looking like an alien…

I’ve been using different side view images, front views, tweaking so much all night long (I’ve been up all night and now its 4PM… yep not AM… PM!)

Just can’t get it right and now I’m gonna have to go bed and really not happy with my progress :frowning:

(ignore the neck for now)

You really shouldn’t focus on likeness right now. I consider it a somewhat advanced skill that develops when you get more familiar with the modeling process. For now, you should just try to be more comfortable with understanding the form.

As for her alien look, it can be contributed to the no eyebrow and cheeks.

I know it can be frustrating at times, but that’s normal. It happens to all of us. You just need a break and then approach it again. Sketching out the forms before jumping back into zbrush helps. Even tracing over key features of the face will make you see it better.

You are making progress with this. The out line of the head looks better. Her nose also looks to be in better form. Her cheeks, eyes, chin, and mouth can use a bit more attention:

head6.jpg

So back to the drawing board lol, been trying to fix the eyes and cheeks, ended up completely removing the eyes and trying to block in the shapes… I dunno I feel like I’m just going around in circles almost and I can’t seem to make her not seem ugly/alien like :S

head03.jpg

I think its got slightly better from yesterday but I still think shes looking pretty bad… lol I’m using a lot of different references now and I was lining it up with a angled shot and side shot but when I did that, and reshaped stuff, it ruined everything from the front view, then I reshaped in the front view and it ruined everything in the side view… AHHHHH… just feel like I’m in a never ending loop and just can’t seem to get her right… still trying though!

After a while I just stopped using references and tried to block in some shapes to try to get it more anatomically correct, then I completely lost the proportions of Rooney Mara and now I’m back in a stage where if I for example move her eyes back down… Alien… :S

quick update: realised some things when I uploaded the last pic to make it a letter better around the mouth, nose and cheeks…

head04.jpg

another update, took a small break came back and things are looking a little better now… yay, doesn’t look like Rooney Mara at all anymore (not that it ever did lol!), but I think i’m slowly eliminating the Alien look lol.

So I was reshaping the face more and I ended up with a slimmer face, maybe a bit too slim looking, but it didn’t look bad it looked pretty similar to the above one, just looked like maybe a different person and then I thought about trying a Morph target since I’ve never really used morphing much, and it actually turned out pretty well :slight_smile:

I need to work more on the ears since they’ve been stretched and skewed so much since I last worked on them as the head has undergone so much change, also the eyes need a lot of work too, can’t seem to get them correctly yet, but shes coming along! (I think lol, need some criticism!)