ZBrushCentral

WIP: anatomical rat model

Hi all,

I haven’t shared it here and I am still less than half way, but here the progress of a project I am working on: making a accurate 3d anatomical model of a rat.
Although I can get a lot out of scientific papers, for the skeleton I dissected one rat and for the muscles I am working on now I am in the progress of dissecting another rat. I will probably need a third rat for the intestines.

the rat skull:

the complete skeleton:
http://sketchfab.com/mk4jihg20

basic nerve system:
http://sketchfab.com/mlkjihg0b

Attachments

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

schedel.jpg

1 Like

And here the first muscles of the head. For this I mostly had to rely on the actual rat. Most visual data in research papers is to vague and I found that a lot of the time simplification also changes the accuracy of illustrations.
I first started with a generic color, but in the end I try to be as accurate as possible with the colors.

BPR_Render.jpgNekspieren2.jpgAcromiotrapezius.jpg24-07-13 - 1.jpg
Look ath the muscle structures I found in the neck!
neckmuscles.jpg

What you see is indeed a work in progress. Most of the time I start out with what I find in the literature and then adjust that accordingly to what I see in the actual rat. The head muscles are a good example of that: in illustrations they look separated from each other while in reality they smoothly align. So the first pictures are from the data I got from literature, while the last ones are renders as I saw in the real rat.

Working on the rib cage

ribvet.jpg
ribvet2.jpg
ribvet3.jpg

:smiley:
Hi I really like the style , the process is it all in ZB ZSphere or Dynamesh or do you start with a base mesh ?

Looking forward to seeing more

James

Hi James,

It all depends on the complexity of the part I am working on. The muscles between the ribs for example are based on meshes I made in blender. Goes faster. But the bones and nerves are mostly build out of ZSpheres. After that I work with dynamesh and of course ZRemesher. The skeleton you see in the images with the muscles is a reduced skeleton that I made as small as possible. After each layer (bones, muscles, nerves, intestines) I go through a optimization process where I make everything as small and efficient as possible.

Yesteday I closed the abdomen with the Obliquus externus abdominis
601989_568560836539888_1276034852_n.jpg
And I adjusted the pectoralis major. Still have to place the pectoralis minor.
601989_568560839873221_1445479626_n.jpg
Here you see the latissimus dorsi that covers most of the ribs and the space that the Obliquus externus abdominis left open.
601989_568560843206554_1117298914_n.jpg
And started with the intestines. First the main tract: sarcophagus, stomach, small intestines, appendix and colon
972308_568991553163483_894619160_n.jpg1004500_569018933160745_1456448916_n.jpg

Great stuff. I am curious about your material and transparency settings on the muscles/gut subtools. nice, clean renders.

Thanks, Carver,

You can find the transparency settings in the tool panel at the display settings. The only problem I have is that when you make a sub-tool transparent, it becomes very transparent immediately, not that tweak-able. But it does do the trick. Later on I will make better renders, this is only for the WIP :wink:

transparency.jpg

I continue where I stopped last week: the intestines and reproductive organs. I made a start with the testicles and urinary tract. Look at the beautiful shapes of the different parts!
testicles2.jpgtesticles.jpgblaas.jpgnieren3.jpgbuikvet.jpg

P.S. The kidneys aren’t in the right place. The left kidney is placed lower than the right one

I have put the heart and major arteries in place and the lungs, including the trachea. Also put the nerves I made earlier in the model. Still a lot of work to be done but it is beginning to look like something!
totaal5.jpgtotaal4.jpgtotaal3.jpgtotaal2.jpgtotaal1.jpg

heart.jpg

Impressive !

thanks!

That’s it for today. Working on arteries and veins in its lower abdomen.
2.jpghb4.jpghb3.jpghartenbloedvaten2.jpgaderen.jpg

It is going slow right now: I am making the skin and although that seems to be easiest part of the rat, everything had to fit in and it still has to look natural. I know now, for example, that the hind legs are a bit too strait underneath the body. I adjusted the toes and fingers with the help of living rats, but those hind legs I still need to do. And still to come: brains, veins and arteries in the legs, molars, glands in the neck, the tongue, the muscles of the legs…
So as you can imagine I am still in a bit of a dip. But I will proceed!
bovenkant.jpgbuik1.jpgschuin.jpgzijkant.jpg

Ton of work there, impressive.

thanks!

Although I planned to do the muscles of the front legs yesterday and today, I still had to finish the brain. And, as with almost every part of the rat, that wasn’t easy. The 3d renders that are already out there are, I am sorry to say, inaccurate. Although there are a lot of brain atlases out there, even in 3d, most are hard to access or even not maintained anymore. So it took me 2 days to finish this brain, based on bits and pieces found in scientific literature. I also tried to dissect the brain myself, but since I am working from the kitchen table (yes, for real!) I didn’t have the proper equipment (yet). Anyhow: enjoy!

hersenen1.jpghersenen2.jpghersenen4.jpghersenen5.jpghersenen6.jpg