ZBrushCentral

PietStuff

I’m a complete rookie and am very thankful to be able to play with zbrush – it is a fantastic tool (but in today’s day and age – 64 bit would be a good move!).

I have to thank all that share their thinking and knowledge - in particular post 1445 of MealeaYing’s Now I’m having Fun which opened my eyes to some panel and poly-group how to do skills.

Attachments

swim.jpg

swim2.jpg

i love it.

great use of the loop things.

grtz p

Looking good! Welcome to ZBC. :smiley:

Cheers, David

THAT is GREAT! I love it!
And its VERY DIFFERENT and that makes it even better!
Can you describe how you did it?

@Patpotlood and @Chalkman, thank you guys very much – you have great galleries and I can see that we have in common the liking of intersting shapes and forms.

@MealeaYing - you do not know how helpful you are! I appreaciate so much the answers and examples you provide in your posts – ZB is awesome.

My workflow: First, I created a globe and did your panel loop magic to it as you described in the infamous post 1445. And I exported it from ZB as obj. Using Xenodream I created an obj file for the Quatoris fractal and exported it.

In Octane, I imported a blender produced curve backdrop, the ZB globe, and the XD fractal object. Then using instancing I made copies of the globe and stretched and moved pieces around. For material I used a mixture of a tin material and a silica material and I added a “dirt” function to add grit to the deep areas. I used HDR studio type lighting and placed a bright light to the left for some highlights. And I output a z-depth to try to do some photoshop fog and such.

So for the moment, my typical workflow is to use Octane to import and postion obj files and to render. I need to figure out how to retop some of my larger xenodream files and get them edgelooped in ZB. And figure out how to do lots of ZB things – I’m as helpless as a newborn with ZB!! But I will struggle eternal.

Hi Piet,
nice to see you posting here.
Welcome to ZBC and keep it up,J.

plug.jpg

Hi Jochen – thank you for your help with exporting vector displacements exr for Terragen! I tried more of that today, but quickly gave up - my group loop process is not yet multi-res friendly. Not good at mixing procedures yet – or rather, I mix them up too easily. So I practiced MealeaYing looping. I fear that bad practice though produces bad habits – must slow down and not miss steps. In the US I live in WV, where missing steps and walking sideways is ok. As are triangles and not pushing the draw button.

As you can see from the image, it is a case of 5 steps backwards, 1 step forward. Too much button mashing without understanding what will happen. I DID manage to isolate a group and turn it into a subtool for export, but my thinking and process and workflow is about as muddy as the image. I tried for a darker look (like those that LVXIFER does), but that went south.

I need to create beautiful clean shapes like the last that Chalkman did. Need to backtrack and start over, it’s just that once I start I get excited and the keys start falling off.

Couldn’t sleep leaving that last horrible post, so I tried to simplify and return to the basic process. Now I’m better at pulling a loop off and making it a separate sub-tool ready for lone export. I think I need to watch the projection videos so that I can learn how to add detail to the blank panels – painful learning for an old head.

tower.jpg

Great Stuff so far. I might have to try that XenoDream out, it makes some cool fractals.

Excellent stuff already, beautiful renders BTW. :+1:
Welcome to the loopinitis club. :laughing:

i really like that last one.

grtz p

WOW!
I agree with everyone, that last one is marvelous.
Gorgeous results!

The problem you ran into with the one you don’t like is nothing to worry about, you will get the hang of it quickly.
Since you mentioned the blank panels Im going to describe what can be done with them as well, its a big subject, but it applies to all of what you are doing now and in fact anything else you work on in ZBrush, in other words you can do this stuff to just about anything.

Cheers!

@gmp1993 - I think you would like Xenodream for what it can do, the two fractals shown so far are stock samples and dead simple to produce. However, the obj files can be large and beg for a retopology (and for a 64 bit ZB).

@Michalis - I must say that the whole loop disease thing that you guys have unleashed on the world made me buy ZB to begin with and will cause me untold joy and sorrow. I love the dark and brooding mechanical landscape types of scenes and the Giger/Beksinski shapes and forms and details.

@Patpotlood - thank you - often, clean and simple seems to work best, but I want broody, massive, and dark. And so it always is, you don’t always get what you want!

Mealea – I will watch your FUN thread closely for a BIG lesson on Fill-In-The-Blank!!!

badking.jpg

Ok – so the easiest way to “fill the blank” is to already have detail present! Here we have badking head (thank you so much for that you do for us BadKing!!!). I did a zremesh numerous times and then did the loopy thing and put them out as separate objects and quick render and quick photoshop butchery.

How can I make the loop be smaller (that is… the islands larger)? or to have fewer islands? Are there controls I should be playing with that impact what the loops will look like size wise?

WOW
I love it.

glomo.jpg

mom and dad were fighting and I was having nightmares, but I think they made up, so I’m trying to make something pretty.

Still need to figure out the displacement thing, but until then, slow, slow, slow I go, gently down the stream - just happy to get used to the workflow!!

That is awesome! I really like it. :+1:small_orange_diamond:sunglasses:

this is a great picture.
how is it rendered, bpr?

grtz p

thank you zber2 and patpotlood – I exported globe loops as obj files and applied material, lighting, and rendered in Octane.

sound.jpg

If the last was “sight”, this is “sound”. More of the same, trying to keep things simple and learn the workflow and try to predict what happens when I mash a button. A xenodream fractal snail shell remeshed and looped exported and within Octane placed back into the original object and rendered.