Default Maintaining proper size of a dedsign in Sculptris

Am a newbie to 3-d modeling software & cad software.

Am looking to use Sculptris for presentation of ideas to clients of
    abstract sculptures – see attached jpeg of sample sculpture to see what I am
    trying to do.

Am interested to make sure that when I carve a stone block that the design
    generated in Sculptris will closely approximate the size of the block. Want to
    make sure before I start promising a sculpture to a client from a design in
    Sculptris that it is doable in the real world. In addition, want to make sure
    that the design is actually carveable (can get my hands into all the tricky
    places to chisel & sand).

To make sure it is doable in the real world how do I put a template/ruler
    over the work area that approximates what the size of design I am dealing with
    is? For example, my next block to work on is a 24” x 24” x 36” tall block of
    stone to carve. The aspect ratio of the stone could be seen as 1:1:1.5. Or
    is there a ruler I could use that is set on both the x, y, & z axis
    (analogous to Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop) to make sure that the fantastic
    design I come up with will fit within the parameters of the existing stone.
    Would hate to blithely start carving a design on a block of stone to find out it
    does not work & ruin a 2,000 lb block of stone. That would be about a
    $4,000 oops – like to avoid those kind of mistakes.

If there is no way to do this in Sculptris are there plug-ins that will do this??
    Thanks, Carl

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

your approach on this 3d world is quite wrong.
    There are not real world measurements in a 3d app. Even on a cad app.
    An illusion. There is only an internal scale.
    Export the sculptris mesh to a decent massive 3d application, like 3dsmax, maya, blender, lw, modo, etc etc ask for metric or imperial system, and resize it to the appropriate measurements. Apply it if needed.

Wrong starting point for you. You have to learn the basics first.
    Try to stop demanding measurements, it is artistically irrelevant, you simply don't get it. Not yet.
    I did a lot of CNC router works, some 3dprints. I'm aware what is needed there. Never had issues on this.
    BTW
    From my experience, the less capable people to understand the meaning of scale were mostly architects. Pity... Egoists, what can you expect from them?

There currently isn't an in-program solution for what you are asking for. But, I'm sure that there are a number of work-arounds that could be implemented. Sculptris would be a great, simple, and free tool for abstract ideations and sketching prior to the actual use of real world tools. If you are worried about your sculpture fitting within a specific size, you could use any number of 2d programs to create a front, side, and top view that fit within a specific set of dimensions that the stone, or final material, will start out as. From the dimensions that you gave, you would only need 2 images as the top and side (or front depending on your view) would be exactly the same. The first being a square of 1 x 1, and the second a rectangle of 1 x 1.5. Using those images, they could be changed out with the background image to ensure that the piece fits within those dimensions when you turn it to those views. Sculptris is normally not a very exacting tool like many other box modeling/CAD programs. In my opinion, especially with an abstract piece, you would have only made a rough to close approximation inside of Sculptris of what what the final piece will be. Changes are likely going to be made as the real world sculpting starts. The client would at least see quite a similar idea that they could move around in 3d rather than a sketch on paper that they would have to try and mentally see all of the intricacies.

If the object lives in that block, it is up to you to release it from it's prison, no matter what the scale.

Was just thinking, If you made those shapes for a background, you could then import three planes into your sculpt. Matching each of the shapes with the first two planes. Rotate and resize them so that they fit together, then copy the rectangular plane and rotate it into place as well. You could then create a basic setup that simulates the size of the stone that you will be using while still giving you the space to work. Just keep them hidden and you would have a fairly accurate way to keep track of whether or not it was going to fit. Give me a moment and I'll try and do a quick example of what I mean.

Here's a quick example of what I was talking about. You will have to be out of symmetry, but considering your subject matter, you likely will be anyway. What I'd likely do is to create the 3 planes first and save it out. Create the basic idea that you had in mind while still mentally trying to keep it within the dimensions that you know it will have to be. Then import the 3 planes file and move things around to ensure that it absolutely fits within those dimensions.

Or, simply,
    construct your base mesh in any decent 3d/cad application, enable dimensions / conversion, there.
    Sculptris has a lot of limitations, it can't make holes by example. So, it is wise to construct a basic mesh somewhere else. Avoid n-gons though. Please.
    Then, import it in sculptris, do your sculpting and export it back.

SporkFu, you gave me the best all around work around. Basically that is what I was looking for, but could not get it from concept (my brain) to an actual unreality (or 3-d reality as defined by Sculptris). I appreciate your thoughtful way of putting yourself in my shoes & trying to work from there. Michalis sorry I was not clear on a point that was confusing you; I am a professional sculptor not a 3-D animator. Was looking for a quick & easy way to illustrate an idea so I could get back to the paying work of sculpting. Am not interested in investing countless hours in researching & learning 4 - 5 different programs & also spending money needlessly just to turn out basically a pretty picture that will be changed/discarded. As a sculptor I can only sell my time & final product. The 3-d design is only a pretty picture/rough approximation to help the client make the decision. Also not interested in learning something that cannot help me to keep a design within an aspect ratio. Finally, thank you for trying to belittle my initial efforts in computer modeling. You have reinforced for me again that the way to lead a good life or at least satisfactory to myself is to be gracious & sharing. Am sorry that you feel the need to "be the expert" so badly with phrases such as "...your approach on this 3d world is quite wrong.....Wrong starting point for you....From my experience, the less capable people to understand the meaning of scale were mostly architects. Pity... Egoists, what can you expect from them?..."

Default re

as far as other 3D applications .. Wings3d is free and has the same model size - measurements as 3DSMax. in Wings3d they are called Units. Max is based on Metric but the model sizes are the same. Wings3d is Free and would be good to make your cube or measurement thingy ....

To maintain symmetry you could, using another 3D program create 2 planes of the correct scale, one on top and one on bottom. (It woudl be much like a cube, but having the sides deleted out. You can set up your planes in Blender to scale, which i think is free btw, and then import that OBj file into sculptris. You'll have to sculpt within the imaginary lines that would complete the cube. The result would be the correct ratio, but would not be exact measurements.

Most 3D programs are much much deeper than sculptris, so there is a steep learning curve. But Hey, with the rise of 3D printing, you might be ahead of the game when it comes to sculptures in the future if you know your way around the 3D world.

@Carl I may not have put myself far enough in those shoes if you are even newer to Sculptris than I first assumed. Which part wasn't too clear? I've got a few things to get done today, but I can throw together a more detailed step-by-step description in terms of what needs to be used in order to create that initial set up.

I've yet to see anything that can't be made using Sculptris alone. In order to do that, you often need to have a clear goal in mind. Do you have a 2d sketch of what your plans are for the final sculpt?

Quote Originally Posted by SporkFuMaster View Post
    @Carl I may not have put myself far enough in those shoes if you are even newer to Sculptris than I first assumed. Which part wasn't too clear? I've got a few things to get done today, but I can throw together a more detailed step-by-step description in terms of what needs to be used in order to create that initial set up.

I've yet to see anything that can't be made using Sculptris alone. In order to do that, you often need to have a clear goal in mind. Do you have a 2d sketch of what your plans are for the final sculpt?
    xx

Spork, You have been great. You answered the question & put me on the path that I can take it from here. If I need further help to get out of the ditch I drove into, will ask.

You are correct in that I am very new to this. This is my first stab at doing computer modeling of sculptures. Have used Photoshop & more analytical programs like spreadsheets in the past but have avoided cad programs & computer modeling programs, because they were overly complex & not sophisticated or fast enough. Also started looking at 3-d Coat as an alternative.

The reason for moving to computer modeling is I am hoping to move the design & revision of a drawing along more quickly than by hand & also give the client a better looking, more comprehendible presentation. Currently what I give in a drawing is very much like from the 1950's drawn on a drafting table - 4 views: front, side back & top views - to scale. You can see that would be laborious at best.

As to the final design, I have it in mind but have not committed it to 2-d paper yet. I find that many designs that I think of suffer in the final sculpture if I go from 3-d in my head to a 2-d representation on paper then back to 3-d final carving. That is why I am trying computer modeling - can go from 3-d in my head to 3-d on the computer screen to final 3-d carving - no translation between 3-d to 2-d, just straight 3-d. That is also why I used to make 3-d mockups in modeling clay to scale & photograph them.

Finally the two questions you alluded to but did not outright ask. I usually see the sculpture or art furniture as a 3-d object. First it spins slowly in a circle from left to right then after I that view down, it usually spins slowly end over end. That way I can get a real good feel for the sculpture before I start.

When I don't have a specific design in mind, want the ability to sketch out several directions & then pursue them. I find the more that one works with a design, the more wedded you get to it & that makes it difficult to change or revise it later. So spontaneity also plays a part.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Not a problem. That's what the forum is for.

That's part of what makes Sculptris so much fun is that it's extremely easy to use for any beginner but it allows you to create pretty much anything you want for those that want to spend a lot of time with it. But, I'd say that it should be considerably easier than the draft table process.

The main reason I was was asking, was more for technical reasons in terms of realizing the final sculpt. Especially if the new idea has any similarities to the previous picture. If you were wanting it all out of a single mesh, it would require a bit of pre-planning to do inside of Sculptris alone. Considering that picture showed an object (when broken down) that basically consisted of 2 holes within an object. While Sculptris is capable of creating an object with holes, the process isn't as intuitive as just punching one in. The process consists of taking the initial sphere out of symmetry, creating a backwards "C" shape, moving the object across the symmetry line and then turning symmetry back on. You then repeat the same step as often as necessary and then start sculpting on the basic shape to get it where it needs to be. This is only necessary if you are wanting the object to consist of a single entity. You can always just add multiple pieces together if you aren't requiring that.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Senior member?

@Michalis

The tone of your response to this question should have been moderated and you should have been removed from the thread. I can only imagine how many other questions you've answered with such brovato. If you have no patience to help, no one asked you to answer. This should be a place of community support, not release for someone's ego.