ZBrushCentral

Splinter Cell Blacklist Art Dump

Hello everyone, My name is Tito Belgrave, I would like to share with you my contributions to Splinter Cell Blacklist recently released by Ubisoft Toronto (Our first title!) I was mainly one of the character artists on the team, we were also tasked with some other duties as you’ll see below. Had a great time compiling all of these. The first 3 characters are based from the actors scans that required quite a bit of work to clean up and texture. Hope you enjoy and thanks for checking them out.

Attachments

CharlieRealtime.jpg

NouriRealtime.jpg

GarethRealtime.jpg

CharlieZbrush.jpg

NouriZbrush.jpg

The pants here were modeled and textured by Mark Vick (Ritorian)

Some mechanical stuff, all made in Zbrush with immense help of Dynamesh and Shadowbox

The sculpt of the Mark VII OpsSuit originated from Conviction out of our Montreal studio, I was tasked on retooling and matching it to our other sets from Blacklist… Mark Vick (Ritorian) was a big help here as he did all the other suits and also the final textures for it.

And finally some generic heads.

Thx for looking!

Any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

This is really great work… Thanks for sharing. Could you please show some of the process of your work like work pipeline and all… best regards :slight_smile: :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

great stuff guys , i was playing the game just now xD :+1:

Cool stuff :slight_smile:

Could you give us the range of polycounts you used for the characters ?

Great work! Somehow I feel like the eyes could be improved though… They feel emotionless because they are so dark. I really miss that special sense of depth.

Awesome work master. Thanks for sharing. Regards.

great stuff :):+1:

Great work and thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Thanks very much everyone, was a blast working on this title, ecstatic it saw the light of day!

nirmalendu_paul - Cheers! I can’t show persay, but I can explain what I did for anything you might be wondering about

Ouran -Thx! Polycounts varied a lot, but I don’t believe we went pass 20k for anything particular asset. For principal heads they were around 2600 tris, secondary heads around 1600 tris and the goggles averaged around 7-8k tris. The suits changed depending on customization :slight_smile:

zenopelgrims - I’m sure Intervain and I would agree on that one :wink: Would love to increase the realism moving forward.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!

Thanks for the information :slight_smile:

Really cool stuff. Good job ! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Great work man!

I’ve played Splinter Cell since the first game - you guys really did the series justice!

Fantastic game - so proud it came from the T-dot!!! :slight_smile:

Claudio

Heya thx! and np Ouran. Dragonboy not too sound bias, but I really think it’s an awesome game myself! Was a blast to work on, and as a first title I think we did pretty well :wink:

If anyone has additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

~t

Hello Tito
I had couple of queries…

1. what is the process while you are dealing with a scanned model? viz. highpoly cleaning, etc.
  2. what were the limitation of poly-count and texture sizes with your models?
  3. How many materials you used for one character?
  4. what was the engine and if multi-sub material were used then how you handeled it for the engine?
  5. what software or which process you followed during high-poly to low-poly conversion?

I know the list is little bit long but if you kindly take couple of minutes from your busy schedule and provide me with the solutions, it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks once again mate :slight_smile:

Hiya Nirmalendu, I’ll try to answer your questions :slight_smile:

1.For the scan models, we receive the raw data which is pretty rough in every sense of the word, we had to clean up the scanned imperfections because many times it looked like this http://craphound.com/images/missingmenu2_display_medium.jpg .A lot of careful smoothing, sculpting the eyes/ears/mouth/head e.t.c. Surprising amount of work actually.

1. See my reply to Ouran

2. Depends really, Sam had quite a bit, but it varied anywhere from Torso/Legs/Arms & Head to other additions such as shoes/gadgets/hair cards. I was just happy we didn’t have to fit everything on one map :slight_smile:

3. Same engine as Conviction with a lot of improvements. Also I can’t quite remember if we used Multi-subs, I don’t believe so tho.

4. Varied depending on the artist, but for me - Zbrush,Topogun,Max/Maya, XNormal and Photoshop

I hope I answered everything well enough :slight_smile: Thanks for the interest.

~t