Member Follow User Gallery

Default Hannibal Lecter as Celebrity Chef

I'm still new-ish to hard core anatomy but go big or go home right! This will also be a first for hard surface accessories in Zbrush, so it should be quite fun to learn!

I'm thinking of Hannibal in a TV kitchen, showing off his culinary expertise!

The first thread I go into and the idea couldn't be better. This is a great idea! I can already picture what it could look like in my head and its hilariously creepy

"Celebrity Chef"?? Which celebrity is he cooking up?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Lol love the idea had it for Freddy but Hannibal works best so awesome and yep hella creepy lol love it. Good luck to you and happy Zbrushing.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Great idea , love this one. Can't wait to see the work on it. Good luck

Thanks guys! I hope I can do him justice

So I decided to jump right in on the face since I haven't had a lot of experience in likenesses. I am currently finishing my last semester in game design at a local school here in Dallas, TX so sadly most of my day time is doing that or interning but I am working to get as much time as possible to get going on this since character sculpting is what I really want to do for a living.

Anyways Here is my major piece of reference. I have a few others but mostly for detailing and a few different views.

Going along with the Zbrush only ruling I began my sculpt using a anatomy I had been pitering around with so forgive the muscular neck! Here is day 1 at around 3 hours.

Now Here is current work in progress, about another 2.5 hours. I still feel there are some major planes of the face that I am totally missing here so any help would be great. My personal problems are the brow line and the mouth area.... especially the chin area where the cheeks come in. Too fattish? something. Will keep cracking at it.

I am doing my best to keep subdivisions low and not to add any details aside from likeness planes of the face but this is definitely a great challenge!

So I'm running through the concept while rendering some stuff at work and thinking of how to get this concept fully conceived while keeping the props to a minimum. I really want to have a video camera pointed at him as he shows off his dish but logistically the camera would have to be really close to him to make it in the scene so I'll leave that to consideration.

As far as the food is concerned, I know he liked cheek so if I can pull it off I am thinking Cheek Soup would be fun to design as well as a nice challenge to render. I think he's holding the bowl out to the camera with that twisted smirk, maybe licking his lips? and he will have a counter/table of some kind in front of him with what I hope will be a decapitated head missing some parts! a pot to hold the soup and maybe a knife or two should finish off the illusion quite nicely.

As for the chef himself; definitely a chefs coat, buttoned up and folded over at the neck, an apron over that. His sleeves are neatly folded up to his upper forearms and I am thinking of putting a emblem of some kind on the jacket as well. some dark pants and a working man's shoe should finish off the costume.

While I want to use as much realism as possible in this challenge I also want to present Hannibal on a base as if he is a high quality sculpture so that will be added to finish up the piece.

I think you're starting to get a good likeness already. Spotlight is a really good way of check proportions, so that might be worth a try. To me it feels like hannibal's brows hang over his eyes a bit more? I also think getting some reference of a profile view might be good, it could help you understand some of the forms that you don't feel are working from the front?

also, in addition to spotlight you have the see-trough function up there to make zbrush transparent over any window or image below it. That might help too.
    - Gabo

thanks guys for the input. I have been using the see through function a lot lately for getting his shape right.

I think I am pretty close to the likeness now. I'm still dropping down subdivisions to move the planes of the face around a bit but I think I need to get some eyebrows and hair in there to see if I am close enough.

I added basic wrinkles and skin textures using the standard alphas that come with Zbrush and I think they worked out well. I could really use an alpha for fine lines though, so I'll be looking for one of those.

Still much to do but I am pretty happy with the current progress.

Now that I am looking at the thumbnails of him before I post I really need some more work on that mouth ugh! and the eye bags are not working for me. Oh well back to work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faceWIP_5.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	378361  

Not a tremendous amount of progress today, I spent a bunch of time trying to learn fiber mesh but in the end I think I will have to let that learning curve go until after this contest. Sculpting hair it is! I still need a lot of detailing on the face but I think I'm getting closer.

I think blocking in the hair helps to get a sense of things. Hopefully this week I will start work on the Chef's jacket too!

I think its a good attempt so far, I think at this stage maybe go back to your reference of Hannibal, and study the proportions of the face. The nose bridge seems rather narrow, the eyes a bit wide, and the mouth a bit high ?
    Not sure what the best approach would be to "move" those features around and balance them out, since i myself I'm totally new to zbrush, but i think with a few tweeks , and realy studying your reference, you can rally bring the likeliness across.

thanks Waldo. I agree with you. The bridge is an easy fix, the eyes and mouth are a bit of a challenge! I have made some additional tweaks to the face but I don't have an updated WIP to show on that quite yet. I think after watching some videos from Joseph Drust and Paul Gaboury, I will give Fiber Mesh another go. Im still new to really understanding all of the selection, cutting, slicing, and grouping tools so it's a challenge to get all of the polygroups set up well for the hair but I think I can do it.

As of now I have set up the base for the Chef's Jacket. I started from my base anatomy and created a polygroup of the jacket shape which I then made a subtool from. I then Zremeshed the shape down to 500 or so polys and moved the verts into a decent shape. I then deleted the center edge loop and overlapped the coat, bringing in my head to work the collar shape into the right position. Then I remeshed again at .7 to get a more even coverage of polys from all of my movements making sure border protection was on so the overlap of the coat did not get broken or blended. (It took a while to figure that one out!) I added panel loops at this point which may have been too early; giving the jacket thickness. Then I brought my base anatomy back in and posed the arms in symmetry to a closer approximation of his gesture and moved my jacket arms to match. Finally I used the standard brush to start sketching a loose idea of some major folds.

And that is where I am at right now. I hope to have major folds set up today or tomorrow and I probably need to get a base of the pants and forearms into place soon.

Here's a quick update on the Chef's Jacket. I am horrid with drapery, something I really need to do some studies on but I think I have the general idea of this guy. I am pleased with the progress and look forward to your more practiced minds finding the errors to fix before I clean it up to detail. Ignore the head, it's just a place holder.

I think at this point I have the basic forms of the jacket down. I talked to a couple people and got some advice against the flowing aspect and I have tried to make the cloth look more firm. I also sculpted the pants which are loose cloth and I think they are looking good. Here is an update with them added into the scene with the head. I stuck some basic materials on there for contrast.