1. #1
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default Twisted Horror (Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde) - Good/Bad Shoulder Angels

    Hey All,

    I'm very excited for this challenge and best of luck to all participating! Ok so my idea is to use the little angle & devil on a character's shoulders to show the internal struggle of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

    The initial image that comes to mind is a generic character placed in the middle with angelic Jekyll and demonic Hyde on either side yelling into the character's ears. I'll be working on a basic concept and will post it soon.

  2. #2
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dchase View Post
    Hey All,

    I'm very excited for this challenge and best of luck to all participating! Ok so my idea is to use the little angle & devil on a character's shoulders to show the internal struggle of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

    The initial image that comes to mind is a generic character placed in the middle with angelic Jekyll and demonic Hyde on either side yelling into the character's ears. I'll be working on a basic concept and will post it soon.
    Very cool and fun idea. I might try to pick a character from the Jekyll and Hyde movie to tie it all together? as opposed to a generic random character. Just a suggestions. Or maybe the character having the struggle could be a third monster? I know it would be a lot of work, but I think it would be funny to see the interaction. Cheers!

    OR! The character in the middle could be half jeckyll and half hide (split down the middle) with each side interacting with the opposite. Heckyll side would have hyde on his shoulder whereas hyde would have jeckyll on his side. Then you wouldn't need to model a whole new character. It would be a combination of the two! Just throwing out ideas.
    Jsculpts

  3. #3
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hey JSculpts,

    That's a great idea! I was a bit worried about making a generic character. I'm working out the concept drawing right now replacing the generic character with the author of the original novel - Robert Louis Stevenson. I know making 3 characters might be a bit tough but I'm excited to try it out. Let me know what you think & thanks for the comment .

  4. #4
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dchase View Post
    Hey JSculpts,

    That's a great idea! I was a bit worried about making a generic character. I'm working out the concept drawing right now replacing the generic character with the author of the original novel - Robert Louis Stevenson. I know making 3 characters might be a bit tough but I'm excited to try it out. Let me know what you think & thanks for the comment .
    What a brilliant idea and a great nod of respect to the author. I think this is a great idea! can't wait to see it.
    Jsculpts

  5. #5

    Default

    Hey All,

    Here's some reference I'm using for the concepts.



    Jekyll will be handsome, well dressed, & predominantly follow a cool color palette (angelic). Hyde will be ugly, in tattered clothing, & will be composed of red hues (demonic).

    I hope to get the character designs up quickly .

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm also doing a Jekyll and Hyde entry and I found that the version they have listed is the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy. I think your reference is from the 1931 version? (Which I think looks better but I seem to remember that you can't use characters from different versions of the movies?)

    I think the idea is very cool though, particularly having R.L.S.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjensen View Post
    I'm also doing a Jekyll and Hyde entry and I found that the version they have listed is the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy. I think your reference is from the 1931 version? (Which I think looks better but I seem to remember that you can't use characters from different versions of the movies?)

    I think the idea is very cool though, particularly having R.L.S.
    Hey sjensen - Thanks and I really like the direction you're taking Jekyll/Hyde. As far as the reference goes, I wanted to create custom designs for Jekyll & Hyde instead of having likenesses to the actors. I liked the hair style Jekyll & the monstrous feeling of Hyde in those reference images. Hopefully the concepts look somewhat unique .

    Here's my concept of Dr. Jekyll as the angel:

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angel_Jekyll.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	479.6 KB 
ID:	378700  

  8. #8

    Default

    Aaaaaand here is Hyde:


  9. #9

    Default

    Your concepts look very cool, it'll be great to see them as sculpts, I particularly like Mr. Hyde!

  10. #10
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Liking the concept. Looking forward to seeing more.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks for the kind comments guys! Here's the overall concept I'm going for. Robert Louis Stevenson is in the middle with his Good & Bad angels.



    Now I can FINALLY get into Zbrush! I'll post updates as time goes on.

  12. #12

    Default

    Very nice concept.I can't wait to see this in 3d!

  13. #13
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Good idea and composition.

  14. #14

    Default

    Hey All,

    Sickness struck and kept me out of Zbrush for a bit but I got a chance to read The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression. I highly recommend it and see it becoming quite useful for this challenge.

    On a side note, I've had a chance to start blocking in Hyde. During this process I mostly used a combination of the basic brushes (Move, ClayBuildup, Dam_Standard, Flatten, etc.), Dynamesh, and ZRemesher. Here's his face as of now:



    I'm also playing around with Zbrush's recording features. They're very intuitive and easy to set up. I particularly like the "Timelapse" feature under the Movie menu. Here's some timelpases of Hyde (I forgot to hit record between the two videos so it skips a bit):

    Video 01
    Video 02

    I should have the body blocked out fairly soon. Until then!

  15. #15

    Default

    Hello everyone!

    I'm posting the latest work I have. Hyde's body is coming along and I started on Jekyll's head:





    Also I've created playlists of all my timelapses for the two characters:

    Hyde videos
    Jekyll videos

    Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •