ZBrushCentral

Sketchshido's concept models

Hello Zbrush Central!

I am Steve Chinhsuan Wang, and I recently graduated from school. I am a concept designer that was originally taught to use traditional sketching and digital painting as my tools of communication. In the past 14 weeks, I’ve started to adapt Zbrush as part of my workflow for both soft and hard surface designs.

It is my pleasure to share with you guys some of the works I did during the 14 weeks period. I will keep on updating this thread as I experiment more with zbrush!

You can also see the full-size images at http://sketchshido.com

Thanks for dropping by!

Process: W11 Boomer Mech Design

I started out with a few sketches on the overall form I wanted, then after gathering some military reference images, I went straight into zBrush. The whole model was built 100% in zBrush, starting from a very simple proportion block-out, then slowly refining the model.

The built itself was mainly using the combination of masking tools and transpose tools, with a few custom brushes. The overall process took about 4-5 days to complete, with most of the time spent on making design decisions. I had to spin the model around very frequently because I wasn’t sure how it would look/work.

After the model was finished, I was lucky enough to successfully export and import the mech into Keyshot. I used modified default materials like matte paint and mold-tech to achieve most of the surface qualities. Lastly, I added the decals and some final adjustments in Photoshop.

Attachments

Damn Good Skills for Hard Surface Stuff… all Zbrush?? & The Gorrilla Study looks cool i guess i need to tweak my gorrilla too never took reference for Gorrila Skull…
Good job… can u post some break down for Hard Surface, will love to see tthe workflow…

Just amazing desings and Zbrush skills. Thanks for sharing your works:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

This is clearly a chimpanzee…

just curios can i see the topo for your robot, and is the chimpanzee a render, completly Photoshopped, or a Photoshopped render.

Great work!. Absolutely love the chimp :slight_smile: You plan to do his whole body?

Excellent work … look forward to seeing more! :smiley:

Cheers, David

amazing rendering… Sculpts are cool too…

Thanks guys! I’m glad I can share my stuff and learn here.

I apologize for not really knowing how to quote so I can’t answer anything directly haha. However, here are some of the “process” of the mech design if anyone is curious:

Overview

As you can see, it basically went from a simple sketch into a full model through refinement in details and design. It was important for me to block out the proportions because it is very easy for a mech to feel like it’s going to tip over, especially with the ankle design I had in mind. The original sketch was a little more freeform and it was actually hard for me to build and figure out its functions. The instructor suggested that I study more modern day tech reference, which is why the language changed at the end.

Once I had the block out done, it was alternating between zbrush and sketching. Whenever I needed to make big changes or test if a form looks good, I will screenshot and bring the image straight into photoshop. This allowed me to only spend 3 minutes at max to make design decisions (Although there were still many failures at the end). You can see some of the screenshots in the second image.

Lastly, once the model was completed, it was the time to have fun. I used Keyshot to do 95% of the rendering, with minimal photoshop work. I went through hours and hours of test renderings (you can see some at the bottom of the second image). Finally, I got close to the results I wanted… or maybe time crunch forced me to call it a day haha. Either way, this is pretty much how this mech was done.

lr2.jpglr.jpg

Attachments

lr2.jpg

lr.jpg

Excellent work!
Cheers,
Selwy

Hahaha my bad, Thnks but my point was to study with Skull…

COngrats on Top Row…

For critic, as much as i can see the talent behind the displayed sculptures, i would spend more time working on my organic skills. The mechanical parts seem good, but there’s something that break my “internet excitement” when i look at the design and color choice.

Overall well rounded abilities, but be sure not to slack off on your training because i can see a few things here and there that would certainly need some polishing. (I am only posting this as criticism, and not to downgrade your work or anything.)

Good Job and good luck

amazing work man. inspiring to me!

Really nice work Steve,
congratulation for the work in 3D and in 2D too.
Keep up the great work like that.

Emmanuel.

Wow Sketchshido Awesome work. Top Row too congrats and well deserved in my opinion. All those parts on the WW11 Boomer Mech designs were made with ZBrush awesome! Cool I could look at this for days and still see parts I haven’t before lol that thing has got some muscle so to speak. I like the Chimp and the predator too.

p.s. dont know if you really mean you don’t know how to reply with a quote, or don’t have the time to answer either is fine, but you can do so by clicking on the button on the bottom of what ever post you want to quote that says “reply with quote” for individual posts, Copy the selected text that you want from the person(s) post(s) and enter it into a Reply to this thread post of your own there is a quote box button between # button and insert image button that if you have the text you want quoted highlighted it will make a quote of it, or just copy the name of the person like Seavannah- and say what you want to say without a quote most of us do that if the person is following the thread they will usually see it.

Anyway congrats and would really love to know is that Chimp skull a model or a real skull. Awesome eyes on the Chimp too.

<object type=“cosymantecnisbfw” cotype=“cs” id=“SILOBFWOBJECTID” style=“width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;”></object>

i guess i’m showing my age here, but I still don’t get why anyone would build a hard surface model of this complexity in zbrush. I’ve done a few hard surface models in zbrush with recent versions as experiments, but it still seems imprecise and fidgity. Probably just me, but doing it the old fashioned way still seems faster and more efficient to me :laughing:

nice work though! :+1:

Thank you all for the comments! I am shocked and honoured to be in the top row! Speechless…

Anyways, I will definitely update this thread as I design more!

Thank you and noted. I definitely was not considering enough when executing the design. I guess experimentation of the program had parts to do with it. Either way, thank you and I will keep on working!

Wow Sketchshido Awesome work. Top Row too congrats and well deserved in my opinion. All those parts on the WW11 Boomer Mech designs were made with ZBrush awesome! Cool I could look at this for days and still see parts I haven’t before lol that thing has got some muscle so to speak. I like the Chimp and the predator too.

p.s. dont know if you really mean you don’t know how to reply with a quote, or don’t have the time to answer either is fine, but you can do so by clicking on the button on the bottom of what ever post you want to quote that says “reply with quote” for individual posts, Copy the selected text that you want from the person(s) post(s) and enter it into a Reply to this thread post of your own there is a quote box button between # button and insert image button that if you have the text you want quoted highlighted it will make a quote of it, or just copy the name of the person like Seavannah- and say what you want to say without a quote most of us do that if the person is following the thread they will usually see it.

Anyway congrats and would really love to know is that Chimp skull a model or a real skull. Awesome eyes on the Chimp too.

Thank you!

The chimp skull was a zBrush model built looking at the reference of primate skulls.

i guess i’m showing my age here, but I still don’t get why anyone would build a hard surface model of this complexity in zbrush. I’ve done a few hard surface models in zbrush with recent versions as experiments, but it still seems imprecise and fidgity. Probably just me, but doing it the old fashioned way still seems faster and more efficient to me :laughing:

nice work though! :+1:

Thank you!

I definitely had (have?) the same question. My lack of experience does not qualify me to really make any judgement… but the way my instructor explained it was that Zbrush should be used to create concepts. Therefore, sometimes sculpting just enough to paint over is enough. I really wanted to finish this model so I went in and did a bit more I guess. But yes, imprecise and done just for the look. If I had the chance, I would love to pick up some of the other programs!

Amazing man, your work is amazing.

Congratulations!!!

greetings from Brazil:D

Nice mech design - very fitting for today’s designs lately… I was wondering if you could either post wires (from zbrush) or what your poly count was at the end of the day for all the subtools… Thanks!