Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I have been concentrating on the head today. I decapitated him but i'll stitch his head back on later.
    If there is one character where you should be allowed to do this...
    Probably most of you already know this but for those who don't you can use spotlight as a great way to make a mood board for your character to draw inspiration from.
    In order to keep sculpting you have to disable spotlight projection. I just found out of it recently.
    to be continued.

Member Follow User Gallery

He is looking awesome. Great tip with using spotlight!

Has really nice style to it!

Very cool style to the anatomy.
    Good to see another surfer here

Thx for the comments guys!
    Here is an other wip. Because I am trying to go for a stylised anatomy I wanted to pose the character in an pretty early stage.
    Because I had a few subtool I was gone use transpose master this works on the lowest subd level. But because I was working with dynamesh my
    subtools were pretty high. Which made a really difficult too pose. In order to pose him I had to take a few steps to create a lower res model which could be posed.
    Here are the steps.
    1. duplicate the dynameshed subtool
    2. use Zremesher to create a lower res version
    3. duplicate all the info from the copied dynamesh version back on. By using project all every time I subdivided the model.
    4. After using this on all the subtools pose him using transpose master
    5. After posing copy the modifications too the different subtools with transpose master.

and that was it basically. I still have to tweak a lot in order to find the right balance.

Love the style of this, looking great! Perhaps you can sculpt some water splashes or waves...

I think the pose is really good. It has a nice balance between the sort of pose I'd expect a surfer to have and the way Frankenstein moves.

thx for the comments!
    SarwarZahirKhan yeah I tried to sculpt a wave but I am still figuring out how I will approach the camera angle without a wave it is just too much the silversurfer

Here are some more wip's: I tried rendering it out in zbrush and comped it in Photoshop to have a kind of color key I am aiming at. I ams aiming at a super sunny colourful shot. Could still change though.
    I have also be working further on frankenstein himself. I tried to colour him the way I wanted but that makes hime look a bit too hulky . I will tone down the saturation and perhaps more blueish;
    I am also still figuring out the muscles and how they fit in the stylisation.

I meant small waves, more of a close up shot. From distant shot the attention might go to the wave instead of your character. Here are some refs, I think it would be good to look into cartoony stylized splashes or waves for refs also. Or you can just make him stand on the sand holding his board like in you would see Bay Watch, idk...

yeah I think you are right. The wave will take all the attention. I am gone try too look for an other way to visualize the water probably less realistic.
    Standing on the beach could be cool but I am trying to go for a "dynamic" pose a bit outside of my comfort zone. Anyways thx a lot for the comment!

Love his expression
    Tom Parker - freelance character artist
    Artstation
    Instagram

Thx Crazyfool really appreciate it!

Here is an update I have been testing different things lately.
    I started detailing the face. I am trying to find a balance between creating realistic skin and the pronounced style i am going for.
    This basicaly means I have to refrain myself from putting too much detail in it that would make the face too realistic. But the small subtle details that make the skin fleshy are allowed.

An other thing I tested was rendering in Zbrush which was a first for me. Just tested different matcaps rendered them out with and without polypaint and combined them in photoshop.
    Here is a useful tip probably most of you probably know but if you shift click on the active subtool little paintbrush all subtools polypaint will be disabled or enabled. this comes really handy when rendering different passes.

I've also been testing the fibermesh which gives great result on the fly however I am not sure yet if I am gone go with fibermesh as it gives a bit too realistic hair and I might prefer the maquette sculpted hair.
    More 3d printed. Same thing for the wave which isn't final but I tested with some splashes (badking brush) they got awesome brushes btw. In print the wouldn't be able to fly around.
    As I am not gone go for a full background I am thinking more of it as a print I would want on my desk.
    Here are some renders and renderpasses.

i like this one. he looks really friendly. go with the sculpted hair I think

LOVE this guy! I really like his extra large top half of body on top of skinny legs--and that jaw! The renders are really looking great too!

THx for the comments
    Yeah I always make a sculpt of the hair first to have a feeling of how it should look afterwards I turn it in fibermesh. If i am happy with the sculpt I might just leave it at that.

Well the idea is that the legs are from a skinny guy. With a japanese tattoo on his leg. That wasn't completed so he tried to finish it himself but in a totally different style. Don't know jet if that is going to make it in the final.

I have been working on the torso and the hand today. Just sculpting with the usual brushes. I see a lot of people with custom interfaces I must say I really like to use the hotkeys for the different brushes.
    Once you get to know them it's pretty fast too switch brushes. Here are a few that I use constantly.
    BCB CLAYBUILDUP
    BCL CLAY i usually use this to clean up the claybuildup sketching
    BTD TrimDynamic This I also use too clean up the sketching
    BHP Hpolish cleaner polishing
    BMT Move topological
    BMV Move well I didn't use this because the effect was too hard but if you tone it down it is also very usefull
    BDS Damian standard off corse for small details.
    Still quiet some work to do

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast