Member Follow User Gallery

Side note; it's a good thing I had done some of those deformation tests as I'd mentioned earlier, as it ended up giving me a quick method of getting some deformation in quickly. I used Zbrush's ZRemesher to make a low poly version of the shark body, brought that into Max for some further refining to define where and how I wanted things split, duplicated the shark body, and separated the fins and tail flukes from the main body. Used bones to deform the body, bend modifiers to deform the fins, and Skin Wrap to transfer that detail to original version of the low res shark body.

I then Turbosmoothed the original version of the low res body to add more polys, and used that version with Skin Wrap to deform the actual level one export of the shark's body (the extra detail added by the Turbosmooth modifier was needed to deform the level one export properly; if I hadn't had the extra detail, the deformation would have not been as smooth).

I'll try to put something together showing the above procedure if anyone's interested, or if my description is too confusing.
    John Stetzer
    JWS
    "Putting the 'k' back in kwality."

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Good stuff! Keep rolling and i feel your pain on the layers haha
    https://www.artstation.com/maximusin3d

"There is no tomorrow!"
    -Apollo Creed

One more shark entry...Looks cool

-Guru

Looking good, its a great idea.

I think I've had your first issue before.

I find that collapsing/baking layers while one is in recording mode causes this issue. As long as you turn off recording on all the layers it should be fine?

A bit more detailing... see some things to fix, but time runs short...

John Stetzer
    JWS

Trying to at least get to the point of matching my initial sketch... added a start to the pool he's swimming in. Tried using creasing in the making of the pool border, ended up working better than I expected. Had to remove the creasing before the panel loop portion, as I was getting some extra unwanted geometry that was messing up further subdivision.

John Stetzer
    JWS

Ha ha lol love this poor fat fishy love this idea. Just a thought though which way is he going through the hoop because the bunched up weight is in front of the ring instead of the back of it. if he is jumping through or trying to his "belly fat" should be bunched up on the backside. Just my opinion. Or could be on both sides then he can't slip backwards out of it he is really stuck. lol

Love this very much hope to see it finished good luck to you and have fun

Thanks for the comments on how you see him as being smooshed in the hoops Seav :^); just to explain my thought process as to why he looks as he does...

I kind of saw him as jumping into the hoop, fins tucked tight to the body to get them through, and right as he gets past the fins he get stuck and stops going forward (it was a tight fit and he was compressing a bit as he was passing through). When he stops going forward, most of his weight is still on his back end, and that back half starts to fall back down. As this happens, the weight gathers on opposite sides of the base of the ring. At the top of the ring, the half on the right side is pulling down, resulting in the lack of a bulge at the right top, and the flesh on the left top getting a bit smooshed as it tries to be pulled back through the ring. The fins also are a stop point for going backwards.

Here's a pic sans fins showing more of how I have him stuck... hope that explains my thought process as to why he's stuck as he is.

John Stetzer
    JWS

Well, it was fun while it lasted; really wish I could have that week back where I was sick :^/. Pretty certain that by the rules of the contest I'm not going to qualify for entry (due to posing my creature outside of Zbrush), but just because I can't win doesn't mean I can't post ;^). So for now, here is my...

Final Entry

Rendered a lot of renders with various materials and comped those together in Pshop to create the mess you see above. With the exception of the background and text (and the lighting effect... and 6 smudges) everything was a Zbrush render output. Here's the base render I started with...

Intend to go back and finish this properly in the future... it was fun to give the contest a whirl, and I want to wish good luck to all the participants :^).
    John Stetzer
    JWS

And one without the text...

John Stetzer
    JWS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12