Default Twisted Horror (Jaws) - "We're gonna need a bigger hoop"

Welcome to the open tryouts at the Generic Happy Ocean Funtime Marine Center's Sea Life Stadium show (actual name to be determined later)... Bruce is trying to get into the show, but it looks like he's a bit too big for their current hoop. There will be some employees in the picture... but for now here is my placeholder concept...

John Stetzer
    JWS
    "Putting the 'k' back in kwality."

Hehe I love this.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Also had a similar idea but this is by far much better than my idea. Really good concept

New Member Follow User Gallery

This one made me laugh. Great idea, can't wait to see more!

New Member Follow User Gallery

My first reaction was a big smile... Looking forward seeing your WIP!!!

Member Follow User Gallery

Hahaha! Brilliant idea. Can't wait to see the progress

Cool idea Man, can't wait to see ur sculpts!

Wow, over a week?; sorry for the delay in posting something, real life has interfered a bit more than I'd like. Will work at correcting the problem in the future. Anyway...

Here a quick pose test, just to get an idea of where I may want to go...

I'd started thinking I would try using panel loops for the fins, to try something different from my normal process; it looked workable, but for some reason I was having problems with the bevel I couldn't correct (it doesn't show in the saved file, but the bevel result seemed to shrink in before expanding out, making smoothing the fin problematic). Ended up going to the curve trifill brush instead.

Continued working building pieces like that, merged them, and dynameshed/sculted on them. Used ZRemesher to build a new base mesh... using the default settings was giving me results I wasn't happy with, took several tries using a variety of guides to get a result I was happy with.

From there I took the base into Max to play around with some of the tools in there (for quick tests, is generally quicker for me to go that route); for speed reasons went with several bends on soft selections, as using bones wasn't quickly working for me. This caused some bad distortions in the fins and tail... I appended an earlier shark to the imported results, and chopped off the tails to have a correct looking tail, and used the unbent fins as a template to correct the bent ones, and redynameshed everything to play around with the sculting, ending up with the results posted above.

At this point I'm unsure whether I want to keep some level of realism or go cartoony, and if I go cartoony how cartoony to make things. Going to get some more reference picks to show what the results of sharks being picked up from the position the ring is in, and work from there.
    John Stetzer
    JWS

Good job so far man!
    \

Member Follow User Gallery

This is looking sooo great!

After some real life complications and a few roads gone down that didn't lead to anywhere, I've missed another week in updates... as penance, here's a pic of the pumpkin I carved today for a friend's family for Halloween (had to stop on the face; the pumpkin wall was starting to get thin, and I got concerned about adding the detail I wanted). Should have a real update soon...

John Stetzer
    JWS

Looks like it's coming along! In regards to your direction to either cartoony or realistic, why not both? You can have a stylistic shark that takes design cues from realistic and cartoony features. Good luck!

Looks like I picked a bad time to first get very busy, then to get very sick :^/. Does not look like I'll be making the image deadline, but I'm going to try and finish something.

Decided to go a little bit cartoony... not as much as I had in some of my sketches, but some. Here are some progression pics of the sculpting on the head...

John Stetzer
    JWS

Here's some of the progression on the color side of things...

John Stetzer
    JWS

Brief side note... I love layers, and I hate them with a passion. When they work, all is good with the world, when they don't (just referring to myself here somewhat tongue in cheek) it must be a day ending in a "y" ;^). Here's some layer errors I picked up along the way...

The first one shows a color error from collapsing layers (I had an empty layer in this version; it was the cause of the problems, merging down in sequence and collapsing fixed that problem)...

The second one shows what happened when I clicked on the first layer from the second layer (the first layer was my imported "deformation" layer, the second layer was the corrections sculpted in Zbrush). Pleased that I had the file saved before I made that click, or would have lost some work :^/.

The third one is the result of collapsing the layer stack in the saved file referenced above... while it may not be initially evident, all polypainted detail above level 1 was lost. Went back to an earlier file version, mapped it using UV Master, exported a proper color texture, and then brought the mapping and texture to the new deformed mesh to restore the polypainted info.

I'd upload a version of the corrected mesh, but I was playing with some of the BPR Filters, and ended up with something overly washed out, and it's late ;^).
    John Stetzer
    JWS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast