Default X-Wing hard surface practice

I found some pictures of this spaceship from some movie nobody's ever heard of before (ha!) and I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a hard surface study and get comfortable with panel loops. I wanted to stick with a fully developed, recognizable concept, so I would be forced to learn how to make zBrush produce specific results. There are plenty of details that I would want to improve on this model, but it's at least at a point where I can show it around a bit. This was all done in ZB, including the paint job. I did make use of some of the great insert multi-mesh brushes from BadKing. Those things proved really useful for something like this. Comments and crits are greatly appreciated.

awesome!

Thanks hitesh! I like the work you've been posting lately. It's actually what spurred me on to start a hard surface project of my own.

More hard surface practice. The Panel Loops button got so worn out it fell off my screen. This project and the previous one were great learning experiences in that they showed me how a zBrush workflow can replace much of what I used to do in traditional poly modelling. I was able to stay in ZB for this entire work, and it made me much more comfortable with this amazing software.

And you did this all in Zbrush? Wow.

I would've thought part of it would be in Max or Maya. :S

Very Cool mate! Love all!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default X-Wing hard surface practice

Well I'd say the practice has paid off, great work!
    Best regards
    Greg Hurley

Default hard surfaces

Hi. Cool work. I'd like to try my hand at staying in Zbrush for the duration as well. Any tutorials that explained your process? Thanks in advance.

Cagnazzo: Thanks! I think it may could have been faster for me to do the initial blockout in Max, but this was a good experience nonetheless.

Sergio: Big thanks! I love that Vincent Price you put up this week, by the way.

Greg: Thanks! I got plenty more practicing to do, so I'll keep posting.

mister4d: The process for these models was a lot of trial and error. Mostly error. I figured out some decent techniques for getting sharp results with panel loops, but I'm almost positive I'm not the first one to do it that way, so I can't claim credit or anything. Once I get my workflow for this stuff under control, I'm planning to post some tips if anybody's still interested.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by turbocop99 View Post
    Cagnazzo: Thanks! I think it may could have been faster for me to do the initial blockout in Max, but this was a good experience nonetheless.

Sergio: Big thanks! I love that Vincent Price you put up this week, by the way.

Greg: Thanks! I got plenty more practicing to do, so I'll keep posting.

mister4d: The process for these models was a lot of trial and error. Mostly error. I figured out some decent techniques for getting sharp results with panel loops, but I'm almost positive I'm not the first one to do it that way, so I can't claim credit or anything. Once I get my workflow for this stuff under control, I'm planning to post some tips if anybody's still interested.

yes please! any tips would be great, your handle on panel loops is awesome !!!

Cagnazzo: Thanks! I think it may could have been faster for me to do the initial blockout in Max, but this was a good experience nonetheless. Sergio: Big thanks! I love that Vincent Price you put up this week, by the way. Greg: Thanks! I got plenty more practicing to do, so I'll keep posting. mister4d: The process for these models was a lot of trial and error. Mostly error. I figured out some decent techniques for getting sharp results with panel loops, but I'm almost positive I'm not the first one to do it that way, so I can't claim credit or anything. Once I get my workflow for this stuff under control, I'm planning to post some tips if anybody's still interested.
    Your work is so absolutely amazing. I would love some tips as well. Definitely something for me to aspire to.

Great sculpt, impressive.

Thanks for the all the kind words. This has been a great project to work on and I'll be happy to share anything I've learned. I'm putting together some screenshots of the panel loop techniques that gave me the best results. None of it's perfect, but some of it might be helpful. I also tried out something interesting for the paintjob on the xwing that could be useful in other projects.

On a related note, I did try to model out the glass for the canopy of the xwing, but I couldn't get it to render transparent. I've spent so much time focusing on modelling that my rendering and material knowledge is subpar at best. Does anyone have a tip for transparent stuff?

Thanks for the all the kind words. This has been a great project to work on and I'll be happy to share anything I've learned. I'm putting together some screenshots of the panel loop techniques that gave me the best results. None of it's perfect, but some of it might be helpful. I also tried out something interesting for the paintjob on the xwing that could be useful in other projects.

On a related note, I did try to model out the glass for the canopy of the xwing, but I couldn't get it to render transparent. I've spent so much time focusing on modelling that my rendering and material knowledge is subpar at best. Does anyone have a tip for transparent stuff?
    looking forward to it...thanks!

Hello , awesome work. I'm new to zbrush modeling . How did you made the straight lines of the fuselage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast