Member Follow User Gallery

Default Twisted Horror - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Leatherface Cosplays

Well, I am new to ZBrush community, and probably way out my league but this contests sounds like a hell of a lot of fun and a great way to work on my zbrush skills! To jump right in my concept is pretty simple, Leatherface to me is a character that is trying to fit in, or hide who he is. All I could think of was my recent venture into Comic Con and some of the terribly awesome cosplay I witnessed. I want to create a Leatherface at Comic Con dressed in the skin of a Sailor Moon cosplayer! To describe it a little better, I want Leatherface to be wearing a skinned Sailor Moon cosplayer, still wearing his suit, but with the added bonus of a sailor skirt, and some messed up blond pigtails. Here are some of the early pose shots I've started collecting! I look forward to hearing from everyone and welcome criticism and advice along the way!

P.S. my blocking phase and maybe some drawings should be up within the week!

-Vurian

Default Work in progress

Greetings again Z Brush community, I got some unexpected time to work on my piece today and figured I would throw up some WIP stuff. Below is just a simple build using Z spheres to create a base skeleton, I used the silhouette of a character already made in proper proportions as a working base for the "skeletal template" of my Leatherface. I know it seems redundant to create it this way but I hate using assets that come "pre-made" or are done by someone I don't know for final works. I come from a very distinct Maya background and since this competition calls for the creation of as much as possible in Z Brush I figured I would stick to that. Now that this template is made I plan on doing some pose studies using the rotate tool and these Z Shperes. This method ensures that I maintain accurate anatomy, while being able to quickly make multiple compositions in order to start creating my final piece. Personally I love the quick and sketchy nature of Z Brush, and since my drawing skills are still in need of improvement, I find that this is an amazing way to block out pieces! below is a picture of my finished base skeleton and a link to my Vimeo, which throughout this competition will have videos of my methods, phases, and sculpts!

-Vimeo-
    https://vimeo.com/77312879

-Sample-

-Vurian

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Welcome here and good luck! Hope you have fun with your project!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." -E.F. Schumacher

Default Pose Study

Gotta love some random free time at work. Here is just a quick pose study and some atrocious Photoshop painting to further visualize my concept and block out my sculpt.

-Pose A-

-Concept-

*please note that the final piece will be Leatherface in his traditional suit, the skirt is going to go over the pants and maybe under a flowing jacket. I'm still working on the idea in my head.*

I welcome any criticism of the pose and feel! Also thanks for the warm welcome Jerick!

-Vurian

Default WIP Background

Hello again, here are just some WIP on testing out some environment ideas. I want to create a cloth like backdrop for Leatherface's pose. At comic con they had a nice booth with the logo plastered in repeat on a banner, and they let everyone pose in front of it to take a picture. If you look at the first image I posted below you can see what I'm talking about. The background I made is just a really quick mock up of a "cloth" mainly because I wanted to test out creating a seamless repeated texture in ZBrush. I made the simple NYCC logo in Photoshop and used Zbrush's drawing mode to create the repeating pattern. I then just simply applied the texture to a plane and did a 5 second sculpt on it. I'm also debating on what elements I want to add to the foreground and background to give this piece some depth. I think I want to hint at a disfigured, dead, and mutilated sailor scout behind the curtain. Maybe with a pool of blood coming out from underneath the curtain, and the outline of a boot or arm poking out from somewhere.

-Image A-

-Texture Creation Test-

Step 1

Step 2

-Test Framing-

-Vurian

Default WIP Building a Base

Hello again,

I just finished working on building up my Base Model. I used a fairly simple process, which was as follows. Create an adaptive skin off of the ZSphere Model, I then broke apart all my similar polygroups and merged the apropriate shapes. Once I finished that I quickly threw on some divisions and sculpted a really fast base character. I am not to worried about proper anatomy or shape at this stage, especially since most of Leatherface's body is going to be covered by clothes. Once I finished my sculpt I used ZRemesher at a level of 2 to re-topologize my model. After the re-topo my final base was 4k.

-Adaptive Skin-

-Fixed the Poly Groups-

-Created Sculpting Guides using Primitives (I also used them with transparency allowing for good vision of my model during my sculpt)-

-Final Quick Base Sculpt (just did this to fill out the character and define basic shapes for the final piece)-

-Finished ZRemesh-

-Vurian

Default WIP Need Help

Hey Everyone, I just finished gathering some reference for the body build of my leatherface! However it seems that its a toss up between two types. Let me know which one you think is better! Mind you clothes are going over it, and we wont really see hair. (mind you I crushed the quality of my reference IMGs for the forum the real ones are a super high resolution)

-A-

-B-

I'm working on the base head sculpt now, so I wont be modeling the body for at least a day or two, please give me a shout out as to which body type you like more. So far the vote is 1-1!

-Vurian

Default WIP Head Sculpt

Just some WIP of my process for sculpting a head, I find that when I start from the complete base of a skull and work up to my face I get a much better result. I also posted a link to my Vimeo which has a speed sculpt of it. I apologize if the camera is nauseating, I'm not sure how to change the forward and backward history movies in zbrush.

-Vimeo-

https://vimeo.com/77631933

-WIP Images-

-Vurian

I like the first body type image. It already quite hilarious to have leatherface in a sailor moon costume; adding an out of shape leatherface would be price less. Good start on the head so far!

Default WIP New Base Head

Well my old approach didn't really work out to well when it came to re-meshing and creating a base. I decided to take a step back and approach it from a different angle. Here are some more refined sculpts that I did today. I also have some other simple body sculpts that I am going to refine a bit tomorrow and add up here! All the sculpts were done using simple masks, and the basic brushes (move, clay build up, inflate, dam standard, trim dynamic, etc).

-WIP-

-Vurian

Default More WIP

Here is just an update on the body! Also KreativeApe3D thanks! I like the first body type as well, I'm working off of it as we speak.

-Vurian

Default Wip

got a lot of work done today, base is just about finished. Pretty soon I am going to start working on the deformation of his face, as well as the sculpts for the clothes. To start off today I was noticing some issues with the mesh while I was sculpting my facial features. My mesh density was not allocated to the proper positions which meant that in order to sculpt higher details I would've had to raise my poly count to ridiculous levels. I decided that now was a good time to remesh it again. I ended up destroying some work but the remesh had to be done. Below is a link to my Vimeo which has a video of the process. I really took my time planning out density and some control curves which ended up working out in my favor. I also spent a good chunk of time sculpting today, the second vimeo link has just a quick speed sculpt of the process! Just trying to hack away at this project one step at a time!

-Remesh Process using ZRemesher, Painted control density, and remesh curves!-

https://vimeo.com/77871551

-Speed Sculpt-

https://vimeo.com/77878584

-WIPs-

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodyBaseRotations2.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	380495  

Default Wip

I got some time to work on the underlying deformation of Leatherface finally! His character is supposed to be deformed under his mask, so I used the reference images below to push the concept just a little bit further. I also worked on his expression, I am trying to capture him in a moment of bliss, and by creating a creepy smile with messed up teeth I feel like I can really add some depth to this piece. Once I finish out some more details I am going to create his mask, Pose him, and then create his clothing and accessories. To Create the Teeth I used a really simple method, I appended in a sphere and turned it into Dynamesh with a setting at 512 just to block out the basic form. Once I finished that I converted it to regular geo and gave it some deformation levels. After a decent sculpt and a refined ZRemesh I had a decent finished shape. Below are some imaged that I used for reference, a video of the process, and some close up shots of his face.

-Reference Images-

-Vimeo-

https://vimeo.com/78085153

-Sculpt-

-Vurian

Default WIP Lower Teeth

Here's another image from today, just finished working on the face some more as well as sculpting the lower teeth.

-Image-

-Vurian

Hey man,

I'm liking the work in progress on your character, man. If I can suggest a couple of things to help you, for this character, and other characters in the future:

Watch the definition that you have in the trapezius/sternocleidomastoid, it looks a little to defined in comparison to the rest of the body. On that topic, the trapezius is a little too big; if you are going for more of a realistic overweight character observe the way that it would look on someone that is overweight:

So I would lower them a little bit into the shoulders.

Also, a good habit to get into when doing character poses in the future is to make your character bodies more relaxed and natural of a pose. So lowering the shoulders a little bit and pushing them forward slightly would help it quite a bit. I think with reducing the size of the traps would make it a little more relaxed too..One more suggestion would also be for the feet; keeping that whole "relaxed and natural" pose into consideration, I would suggest pointing his toes more away from the character's body, right now you have them pointed in. I know for the sake of this competition these things may not be as necessary to practice, but nevertheless these are a few things that would help with other characters in the future. Hopefully that helps a little bit.

Otherwise, I'm liking how the deformed face is looking so far man; the expression is awesome. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast