Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default THE FLY - - - A soup for every fly and A fly in every soup

Hello Everyone,

I've been traveling through Italy for the past month but I happened to come across this challenge and the works you guys have been posting, and I have to say I'm hooked. I wasn't able to do any work while away, but now that I'm home I will devote all my free time to make up for the late entry. I hope I'm not too late. It's Halloween today and I figure what better day to join than today

My idea is to have "The Fly" working as a chef cooking soup and selling it out of a back alley. The teleportation pod will act as a storage for ingredients as well as sleeping quarters for the fly. It will also double as a power supply for heating up the soup. Parts from the pod will be ripped out and re-purposed as pots, pans, spoons, bowls and so on. Wires and electronics will stick out from the exposed areas on the pod. There will be significant wear and tear on the pod since it's out in the open exposed to the elements.

Here's a clip of a quick and dirty sketch of what I have in mind. I wanted to try and do everything in Zbrush because it's such a powerhouse of tools. There are a ton of features that I've yet to try, and I'm hoping this will be my chance.

Attached Images Attached Images  

lol hobo fly I love it. hey got to do something to make ends meet right and in this economy it's every fly for it's self lol. love this idea and love watching your concept art drawing that was cool. Did you use PS or ZBPaint or ZSketch for it was just wondering.

lot's of luck to you and hope you have lot's of fun too!

Default Tele POD

Thanks for the kind words Seavannah I used ZSketch because I want to use this opportunity to try out as many features of Zbrush as I can It was quick and dirty, but it helped to flesh out the idea.

Here's a quick update on the Tele POD. I've never really done any hard surface stuff in Zbrush and I have to admit it was quite a challenge. I probably spent 2 hours working on just the pod shell.

Then I discovered Zremesher, the clipping brushes, and hPolish. Now I'm moving along nice and smooth

I'm going to post a shot explaining my workflow as soon as I finish up the pod. Maybe a clip to accompany it as well.

I did a super quick lighting setup with 3 lights in lightcap, maybe 1minute total to set up.
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Quote Originally Posted by x-titan View Post
    I used ZSketch because I want to use this opportunity to try out as many features of Zbrush as I can It was quick and dirty, but it helped to flesh out the idea
    I thought so great job on that another neat feature inside of ZB and glad you were one to use it for your needs! Love your newest addition too.

Default Tonight's update :)

Thanks again Seavannah it's coming along nicely now. I'm sure there will be a few more set backs and new features to learn along the way, but I'm glad to see it taking shape

Here's today's progress. I have the base and back for tomorrow, and on the 4th I'll be tearing it all apart and figuring out the inside bits. I made my first of what will most likely be many insert mesh brushes to make the tube for the wires.

Hey x-titan !!! I can not wait to see the fly coming into action

Default Pod Update

Thanks RenoAnimations I'm working on the pod since I'm not too confident in my hard modeling skills in Zbrush, the fly will be a much more familiar process.

Here's another update on the pod. Still have a few more pieces in the back to do and the door hinge elements. I'm going to try and finish them up tonight so that I can start the destruction

wow, awesome pod, how the hell did you do that fog glow in Zbrush? It looks amazing .

awesome work on the pod!! looks really good and similar!
    - Gabo

Here's my progress. I'm falling a bit behind, but I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish. I would never have imagined that I would be able to make something like this in Zbrush. I knew it was possible, but if you told me a week ago that I would be making hard surface stuff in Zbrush and be happy with the results, I wouldn't have believed you. I'm going to post a making of image some time tomorrow explaining how I went about creating the pod. I'm hoping to start tearing it apart tomorrow and making it look worn and weathered.

scottleroc - I made the glow in Photoshop using a Gaussian blur and radial zoom blur, then I overlayed it using screen as my blending mode. I am going to have to figure out how to make a pass with a fake radial zoom in Zbrush. I'll use the BPR filters to get the Gaussian blur pass for compositing. I'll probably extend out the glass shape and use zdepth to composite it to make it look as if there's a light emitting. Maybe there's a better way, but I don't know if I'll have the time to experiment too much to figure it out. If I do I'll gladly share Thanks again for the interest, sorry for the long reply.

P.S. I modeled the back even though you wont see it in the final image I just wanted to have a clean complete pod to work with.

wow, that looks amazing, i'm gonna have to look up about this zbrush lighting stuff...

Member Follow User Gallery

This is some amazing work! Can't wait to see it finished. can't wait to see it with brundlefly in it.

Default Tutorial time :)

As promised here's the start of the tutorials explaining my workflow. I'm having to redo work to show how I did things, and it's taking quite a bit of time to put together, but it's better this way than to have done it as I went along and possibly spend time explaining something when there's a better way to do it.

Default Tutorial Part 2

Here's the method I used to help resolve a problem I had after realizing that I forgot to place a hole in the pod :/

For whatever reason, dynamesh wasn't able to remesh properly after I used the insert cylinder while holding alt. It kept exploding the mesh, so this is how I went about making the hole.

Luckily, there's more than one way to skin a model in ZBrush

Default Tutorial Part 3

1. CurveQuadFill brush to make the initial shape and split it into a separate subtool so that it's easier to work with.

2. ClipCircle brush to shape the inside and outside of the ring(use transparency to use the pod as a reference).

3. ClipCurve to refine the corners. Mirror and weld, followed by dynamesh at 234 or something other than 128, followed by ZRemesher
    (TIP: If your ZRemesher is taking forever to solve, it's probably because your mesh has too many bunched up polygons, reDynamesh and then try ZRemesher again).
    4. If you have flying polygons just hide and delete hidden, then reDynamesh. Of course you need to be a little more precise than I was but that's the basic idea

This is how I went about making most of the meshes. The CurveQuadFill brush is quite handy. I discovered it close to the end of the finish of the POD I used to mask a part of the mesh extract and form or insert cylinder or cube and form, but this is much much quicker.

P.S. This was also my first time using the regular Record movie function. It's pretty handy. After all the hand written tutorials, this was such a breath of fresh air.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast