New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Twisted Horror (Army of Darkness) - Delicate Business

Hi everyone,

There are onle a couple of days left in this wonderful challenge.
    Nontheless I wanted to participate. Here is my WIP so far:

Story

My protagonist will be Ash from the Army of Darkness movie. (Evil Dead is banned in Germany, so I haven't been able to watch that one yet).
    In my sculpting I want to show him working in the kitchen using his chainsaw.

Process

I started with a simple photoshop scribble, where I have tried to get the overall silhouette.

Since I love ZBrush's record function I have recorded the whole sculpting process from start to finish.
    (one small part in between is missing)

(Timecode 0:00)
    As a base I took one of the standart maquettes that come along with ZBrush and started sculpting.
    I smoothed the whole body quite a lot in the beginning so that I am more liberate in finding a unique form.
    My main brush that I have used throughout the sculpting process is the clayBuildup. For me it is the most intuitive brush inside of ZBrush.

(Timecode 1:00) I also love the TrimDynamic brush which I try to use as my main smoothing tool.

(Timecode 1:20) As a guideline I paint in all the major muscle groups usinge the PenA brush.

(Timecode 2:30) I try to stay pretty rough with the maquette's body until this points because it will be heavily distorted during the posing.

(Timecode 6:30) I indicate roughly some kind of clothes

(Timecode 8:20) Posing the character is so important and at the same time really tough. I always try to go a litte bit over the top and not to be intimidated by a heavily distorted character.

(Timecode 10:00) Once the pose feels right I am trying to clean up the maquette and make a lot of small adjustments with the Move Brush.

(Timecode 12:00) I am doing the folds using either my PenA Brush or by painting a mask on to the model.

(Timecode 14:30) The chainsaw was my first hard surface model inside of ZBrush. I have made a lot of mistakes along the way but once I got used to it it feels really cool to model using the clip brush.

Next Up:

Refining the sculpting & texturing. If time permits I will do the rendering inside of Modo.

If you have an critique, ideas, suggestions etc... I would love to hear it!

So next steps: uv layout / texturing / rendering

(timecode 0:00)
    Unwrapping my model using UVMaster

(timecode 0:09)
    Polypainting in ZBrush

(timecode 0:18)
    You have probably heard of this tip already:
    Painting the regions of the face in three different colors: cheeks blueish, nose area reddish and the forehead yellowish.

(timecode 1:10)
    Here I am using mask-by-cavity to lay a lighter color on the upper surface of the model.

From here on I have used the lovely GOZ-function to export everything into Modo for rendering.
    (EDIT: I haven't read until this point that we should render our passes using ZBrush. So, I couldn't use my Modo renderings in the end.
    Anyway, I have continued and finished my image using only ZBrush's renderer.)

I also exported a vextor displacement and used the following settings

I took the rendered images into photoshop for composting.
    Here you can get a first impression:

Tomorrow I wanted to try if I can make the actual story inside the image more visible.
    Either I would try to get a second character in there or some kind of props that hint at him beeing a father.
    If someone has an idea I would be really glad.

I wish you guys all the best and hope that everyone can get everything finished in time for this contest!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Looks like his leg is bending the wrong way, but very nice job on the lighting. I love the Evil Dead movies
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Nice entry. Love the lighting. Good luck to you.

@X-Titan: You are right the leg bending got a bit extreme. Thank you!

@Seavannah: Thank you very much and good luck to you, too!

So... right after I have posted my last image in this thread I have read in the submission details that we also have to render all our passes within ZBrush. So I went back into ZBrush and painted different materials on top of my character and established some basic lighting. I also exchanged the can with a pizza and put a hat on Ash's head.

Here are the renderlayers that I got out of ZBrush and some photos for the blurry background.
    From there on everything was thrown into photoshop to get the final image.

Default Final Entry

Final Entry

for HIRES-version click HERE

Love it!

And... now I'm hungry :S

Member Follow User Gallery

Haha, no way...
    this is really cool
    he got a pretty bad ass right arm didn't he ;D
    good luck

Really nice final render, love the colours of it Nice one!