ZBrushCentral

Character Artist Gavin Youl

Hello, my name is Gavin Youl, I’m an Australian artist. I have 14 years working as a 3D artist with 6 years specializing as a character artist. I don’t usually post on forums but I’m currently looking to move to the U.S-Canada to work in the Games/Film industry there. If anyone is interested in employing me here are a couple of characters that I’ve completed this year.

The first character is inspired by one of my favorite game characters from Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, the Strog Infiltrator. I’ve tried to take the original concept and push the design and complexity to another level. Some parts are based on the original design, but most has been modified with my own designs.

The second character ‘Grieve’ is a concept conceived by my old art directer that I worked with on Transformers and Star Wars projects at Krome Studios, Ray Leung. The initial organic modelling was begun by Brendan George before I took over.

Modelling, texturing, materials, lighting and rendering - Gavin Youl
Original concept, art direction and character design - Ray Leung
Additional modelling - Brendan George

To see more of my work please visit my website at www.gavinyoul.com
You can contact me at gavin@gavinyoul.com

Thanks.

Attachments

Strog01compressed.jpg

Grieve01compressed.jpg

That is one badass saw right there.
Great work, from head to toe. :+1:

Great work! They both look great! :+1:

Are those two game models?

Thanks Thomas! I’m uploading some low quality test renders of the chainsaw components so you can get a better look at them. This is at the stage of developing the textures and shaders how I wanted it to look, in a much more naturalistic style. Art direction later dictated that it be more stylized and simplified for a much more cleaner cold blue metallic look.

Attachments

Grieve_Chainsaw.jpg

<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml><w:WordDocument><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel><w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery><w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery><w:DocumentKind>DocumentNotSpecified</w:DocumentKind><w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7.8</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Compatibility></w:Compatibility><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]–>Thanks Abishai. Both models are film-res models. The Strog Infiltrator was a personal project and my original intention was to project the high-res detail onto a low-poly game model, but after finishing the elaborate shader network creation on ‘Grieve’ I decided instead to unwrap all the pieces and go with a more realistic film-res model using a multitude of different blend shaders for more naturalism.

ZBrush helped me immensely with the ability to paint the masks for blends in 3D. For example areas where metal would have more wear and tear a different shinier metal shader would come through the old dirty metal shader. This is much harder to in-visage in 2D. Also cavity and AO bakes helped in the creation of dirt shader blends for the creviced and overlapped areas.

Wow, I can only marvel at this because my hard surface modeling sucks.
Just a few days ago I had a try on a pair of boots for a character I’m currently working on…no chance.
So, the more I fail on something, the more I respect the work of others…like yours in this case.

Stick at it! Most of the hard-surface modelling was done in Softimage, but I think now all of this stuff can be done a lot more easily and quickly in ZBrush. These characters were completed earlier this year, but now I’m trying to do all my hard-surface modelling in ZBrush. Good luck and thanks for your support.