ZBrushCentral

Medical Illustration by Tim Vernon

I am a medical photographer/illustrator in the UK. I use Zbrush to make image of subjects that I cannot photograph. I am posting some medcal/scientific images.

Most of the images posted are made up of picture elements modelled & BPR rendered in Zbrush, then combined in Photoshop.

I have found the following features of Zbrush invaluable in making these images:

• SSS
  • Wax modifier
  • FibreMesh
  • Mesh Insert brushes.

The “Depths of the Mind” image was a brain modelled in Zbrush, then rendered half submerged in a 3D sea in Vue Infinite 7 (to allow me to render it with an ice material).

Are there any other medical illustrators using Zbrush to make scientific images?

Tim

Attachments

DNA damage.jpg

fertilization 01.jpg

neurons firing.jpg

Ovum & sperm in uterus.jpg

sperm penetrates egg 01.jpg

Synapse firing.jpg

pretty cool job you have! nice sculpts and renders :slight_smile:
how does one get into medical photography/illustration?

Awesome work … technical but still works of art. You can’t beat mother nature! :lol:

All the best, David

Just posting some more illustrations of scientific subjects.

The subjects covered include:

• the structure of a bacteriophage.
  • fertilization of an ovum by a sperm cell.
  • an astrocyte cell in the brain
  • sickle cells in the bloodstream.
![Sickle cells blocking blood vessel 01.jpg|1200x1289](upload://rH2fi8KRJiUlaHAHuTwsIfDMNAj.jpeg)![fertilization 02.jpg|1200x590](upload://6HEdjimOmIL6J9z8070p0ACtFTg.jpeg)![Sickle cell Vs Normal Red Cell.jpg|900x1120](upload://uoWNb1fAQYNTbdZxbQJHoAqFGFA.jpeg)![Astrocytes 01.jpg|1200x1800](upload://3B0kd6u26RkvpFJeg89LB9dI3BJ.jpeg)![Sickle cells & red cells in vessel 01.jpg|1200x1296](upload://aawYNkWgk6IMdKeSKMT4GGVVB0j.jpeg)![Bacteriophage 02.jpg|1200x1800](upload://pXxZexx3mFwhDCmK0pmUJBvYcdr.jpeg)

Hope you like them.

Tim

Dear Forum,
sorry, didn’t attach the images to the last post.
See below my images of the structure of influenza and HIZ viruses.

Glass Flu virus 01.jpgGold HIV Virus.jpgSilver HIV Virus.jpg

The micromesh and mesh insert brushes were very useful in the creation of these images

Tim

Dear Harapuzo,
it is nice to hear from some one interested in medical photography. The best resources for careers advice are the Institute of Medical Illustrators in the UK (Google them), or the BioCommunications Association in the USA.
My “day job” is photographing patients for their medical records. The work is largely technical, but it helps the medics in curing people in the hospitals where I work.

My passion is in making images that illustrate ideas. I find any ideas in science fascinating, and like to illustrate subjects that would normally be hidden the eye or the camera.
Most of my stuff done in Zbrush is sent to the Science Photo Library in London, to sell. I have had images published in “The Lancet,” “Focus” magazine (a popular science mag)," The Times" newspaper, “The Fortean Times.”
I haven’t earned a fortune, but I have loved making the pictures.

My advice is: contact the Science Photo Library and ask them for a list of subject that they are interested in. Then research the subjects in New Scentist, Scentific American, and on Wikipedia’s website. Then, have a go. Just send then some images.
The picture editors have scientific backgrounds, and can advise you if you need to change the images to make them accurate & saleable. Unlike some of the larger photo libraries, the picture editors at the SPL are helpful, and encourage new talent.

Hope that this helps,

Tim

Very nice work, hope to see more! :smiley:

Cheers, David

Thanks Tim for the explanation and links your provided.
Its an interest of mine and I’ll try out the options you mentioned for sure.
I’d be happy to do this sort of work at a professional level.
I’ve seen some really nice medical type 3D work, yours included, and would
like to contribute to that field.
Thanks again Tim,
Orest

(Tim: your two other threads have been merged into this one)