Default Western Lowland Gorilla

So Hi Everyone. Its been a very long time since I played with ZBrush. In fact, not since version 3. Been sitting down trying to relearn the old & teach myself the new. Its been great fun. Great improvements. So with this guy I started with a sphere & used dynamesh & remesher.

Default Western Lowland Gorilla... 2

Fibermesh is great. Very easy to create, preview & alter. The groom brushes are tough to get used to. But with a little practice.

Eyes are hard...

Default Western Lowland Gorilla... 3

So I rendered this in ZBrush with BPR & composited it in Photoshop. The background is a photo. I just knocked it right out of focus.

Here are my render passes.

Default Western Lowland Gorilla... 4

This is the same guy. A simple crop sometimes improves. Less is more. I just think it looks better like this.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

thats cool man! really dig it!

can someone call the guys in charge of the top row, we have a new winner here!!! Awesome Gorilla, that skin texture and the fibersmesh and the sculpt....wow

Very impresive Job! the fibermesh looks great. How you get the fibermesh so thin?

Fantastic hair work!

Default Western Lowland Gorilla... 5

Thanks guys. Your comments are very appreciated. In response to your question Jeordanis about fibermesh. Its really easy. You just need to play with the settings. Mostly the Tips, roots & coverage settings. The great thing about fibermesh is that you can BPR test render it before you hit the accept button. Also, even after accepting, your mask is still there. So you can always have another go without having to repaint your mask.

Here are a couple of close up images of the Gorilla. I actually put a very fine layer of fibermesh over his face. This gives the surface a great break up. It's one of those, you know it's there but you can't see it things.

For anyone who hasn't played with fibermesh... Do. It really is very easy & fun.

Hi Colin, Nice to see you posting here. Cool gorilla.Glad to see that you are ZBrushing. Cheers

Thanks for the tips! I have another question if you do not mind. When I try to render transparent materials in zbrush I can not get a result like you accomplished in shaders eyes. In my case the light does not pass right through the transparent object so I can not get a realistic result. How did it so well in the eyes?

Thanks in advance.

Default Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeordanis View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I have another question if you do not mind. When I try to render transparent materials in zbrush I can not get a result like you accomplished in shaders eyes. In my case the light does not pass right through the transparent object so I can not get a realistic result. How did it so well in the eyes?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Jeordanis

Well to be honest. It was very frustrating. I have to give full credit to Colin Ware (Prosthetix on ZBrushCentral). I found a post he made about eyes. He made a stage by stage creation page. It's still tricky though. I used Basic Material 2 for my inner eye & Chrome 2 for the outer eye (then making it transparent). Even then, when you get the lighting right for your model its not right for your eyes. I used lightcap for the final light & it had about 8 light sources which destroyd my eyes. So in the end I lit the eyes separately with the standard lights & composited it in photoshop. If you Combine Standard Lights & Lightcap you at least have some similarities.

I'm sure Colin has better advice than me on this.

Regards
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by monstermaker View Post
    Hi Colin, Nice to see you posting here. Cool gorilla.Glad to see that you are ZBrushing. Cheers
    Wow. Hi Rick

Its been a while.

Thanks for having a look at my Gorilla. I feel that maybe it was a mistake posting this now though. There is no better authority on primates than yourself & you will know everything that is wrong with my model.

I have to say that I'm loving ZBrush. I try to learn something new every day if I get the chance. Next is creating sculpted alphas (I need to improve my texture work).

I hope all is well with you.

All the Best
    Colin

By the way. Can you believe Henry is 5½ & enjoying school now (where does the time go)

Great stuff Colin, very nice !
    - S

New Member Follow User Gallery

Fantastic sculpt Colin! Also great use of Fibremesh. Looks fantastic even in the close up shots. Quick question though, for the over all skin texture on the arms did you use a combination of some sort of leather alpha which had those goosebumps on it (my terminology is probably way off here) I'm sitting here just baffled at the detail on the skin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast