ZBrushCentral

Digital Sculpts by Darren Wallace

Hello everyone!. This is my first post
Here is a project I’m currently working on. My friends and I have monthly challenges and this month we had to mix two or more animals together.

This is Octo-Wasp (Octopus/Wasp)
I picked a octopus as I’ve wanted to sculpt one for a while and I picked the wasp as they both kind of share the balloon like abdomen/body, so I thought they could mix well. General response to this so far as been “That’s terrifying!”

Hope you guys like it so far, cheers

Updated render

Attachments

Cool concept :slight_smile:

Here are some shader tests done in Maya with Vray. I’ve never had much success with using the sss2 shader, lack of spec control and normals/bumps looking weak and soft. I’m using a blend/layered material made of two materials. One is shinny wet translucent (SSS2) the other a standard Vray material. I painted a mask in zbrush to blend the two materials as I want them. The sub surface material is strongest under the tentacles / webbing while the “solid” material is strongest on the body and head.

Thanks

(The Bird) Bust of a creature I designed for a short film.
Beauty_233-Recovered.jpg

(Happy African Chap) First attempt at a realistic face. Zbrush
African Chap.jpg

(Alien) Creature I designed for a short film. Zbrush / Maya / Vray / Nuke
alien2.jpg
2012-2013

(Hero) Just playing around. Zbrush
HeadSculpt01.jpg

(Shark) Shark made for game. Zbrush / Maya
shark1.jpg

(Torso) Anatomy study. Zbrush
torso.jpg

(Wolver-Minion) as made for an online competition. Zbrush / Maya / Vray / Photoshop

(Turtle) I made for a game I helped with in a class project. Zbrush / Maya
turtle1.jpg

(Zombie) Zbrush / Maya / Vray / Photoshop
Untitled-1 (1).jpg
2011-2012

(William) Character concept for a short film. Zbrush

Very nice! Great job on the hair on the minion, fibermesh?

Cheers,
Brian

Nice body of work! Especially love the Octo-wasp. The thought of a wasp grabbing on and repeat stinging is very creepy!

Thanks Brian!
I used Shave and a Haircut for Maya to get the base shape. But I was having issues with rendering with Vray so I created curves from the S&H hair then used that to drive Maya hair. Which I could happily use the Vray hair shader to render.

Thanks Lynne
Yes it is creepy! So much so it has inspired me to rig and animate it doing such a thing, should be fun.

Great sculpts Darren! Your minion made me laugh for sure, and your animal sculpts are spot on! Nice job on all!
-Mark

Ewww! I’d hate to have a run in with the octo-wasp. :eek:

Nice work.

I finally got around to setting up the wing materials. As well as being a bumpy transparent material I wanted to get that colourful rainbow high light effect like a lot of insect wings have. But it’s only visible when it’s reflecting. It was as easy as adding the desired colours into the reflection map. I’m rendering some turnaround videos so here is a few stills from it. I’m yet to setup the wing “bones?”. I may also add some body hair / fuzz.

Very cool concept…and great execution. Like it a lot.

Thanks!

Stingers on each end of the tentacles , just an idea ;p

I’ve finished and rendered out a turnaround video. Here is a few stills from it. The only big difference from my last update is it now has some fur.

[youtubehd]8TA85zM8Il4[/youtubehd]

Make a crude rig so I could pose him. The “T-Pose” he was in wasn’t doing the model justice, needs to squirm and wriggle.

Wow, I have to give you credit for taking the Octo-Wasp concept to this level of commitment.
That’s a fun hybrid design to look at!
I wonder how big it is?