Default New to Sculptris

Hey there, I´m new to Sculptris - trying to get a feeling for it, so this is the second attempt. Its real fun working with it. Hope to post more soon.

Cheers!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Smile

Looks neat, man. Keep it up. (Neck might use a little more clean up...)
    I have a question, though. How many tris did this end up being? Somewhere around a million?

New Member Follow User Gallery

Very nice indeed. Nice detailing !
    Question though, the earrings, are they a different object ? A new sphere or an .obj import ? The teeth on the other hand seem to be part of the same mesh as the head itself ?
    I am new to sculptress as well and i'm still figuring out how to do sub objects

Member Follow User Gallery

Great sculpting. I am also new to Sculptris and in fact to sculpting at all. Already made 3 or 4 models and I used Sub-Object as you name it.
    Reading the manual gave me a couple of very helpful information (as a manual should ). Here an example of mine with Sub-objects. The eye-balls and teeth are seperate objects. In the case of the teeth, I modeled one in LightWave and exported it in Wavefront-format (OBJ). You can import this object in Sculptris and with a little bit of luck, Sculptris won't mind, but in my case I did have to clear the mesh up in LightWave before Sculptris accepted it.
    Then I loaded the same tooth a couple of times in an empty scene, moved rotated and scaled them and saved the group of teeth as a Sculptris-file and loaded it to the model of the dragonhead. You can still edit every single object in Sculptris (if they were saved with symetry, you may be able just to edit one side and the other mirrored object receives the same editing automatic. You can hide objects by holding "h" and clicking on the desired object or holding "h" and dragging to hide selected parts. CTRL+h makes them visible again. Very handy.

Ralf.

Necro: Thanks - it´s 780k triangles, without any cleaning.
    sighalot: The earrings, tongue, eyes and teeth are seperate objects. Just added new spheres to the existing scene. Still figuring out how it works best as well
    Ralf: Great modelling too. Your dragon looks nice - thanks for the hints! I started modeling in symetry mode, than had to switch it off for posing the head.

Another one, not yet done (with 596k triangles if someone is interested)

edit:

and another one (with around 500k)

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

You are using an awful lot of triangles for that level of detail. 200k should be more than enough for a full female body.

Fear not the Reduce Mesh Tool, if you don't trust me and don't want to modify these models you can start a new one and see by yourself that you won't loose any noticeable detail (and if so happens you can still use Ctrl+Z).

Check my gallery or Sporks' or many other users here for simple examples of "under 200k" models

Serek,

I am also a beginner and I have also high to very high polygon counts. Maybe the "issue" is that at the moment we (I) are not aware of the correct workflow and we (I) are not aware why it is important to keep the poligon count that low (200K). The moment that I am convinced that I can add those details in an more economic way to my sculpt (maybe Normalmaps? Displacement?), I am more than willing to do so, but right now I don't know how. I like to see my sculpt or end product with all the detail I can get. For the time being I only do Still images.
    For rendering I use most of the time Vue 10, for editing meshes LightWave.

Do you have some tips or comments that guide us (me) in the right direction?

Ralf.

Default re

for Mesh Reduce keyboard shortcut Y .... Use this to reduce triangle count in Flat areas where they're not needed. For Bump/Normal maps, in Paint Mode there's checkbox in the Options Menu for Combine Color and Bump. Click that and try using Alpha Brushes and Textures. It's Faux Geometry, not so good for large extrusions, but you can do skin and scales, wrinkles, veigns and fur quite nicely. It's also good for painting a Terrain made from a Plane. It can do Rocks and Vegetation.

Thanks for the replies people. Ill give that a try. Didnt use the painting mode in sculptris yet. Maybe ill try a full body sculpt next, so I can see what polycount runs well on my pc.

Cheers!

Great model Frankyn.

I already noticed that everybody says that the polycount has to be low. Noneoftheless and because you may need it, I tell you that I patched my Sculptris Exe-file in order to handle more memory in a 64bit operating system. Works like a charm and it may reduce crashes if you don't have an eye on polygon count while sculpting. I already went to 2.5 million, not that this is what I am looking for, but Sculptris won't get unstable that easy any more. Besides I had to disable OpenGL Antialias in the Sculptris options, otherwise it crashes a lot for me (AMD 5850 1GB). Happy sculpting.

http://www.maketecheasier.com/increase-memory-limit-for-32-bit-applications-in-windows-64-bit-os

Ralf.

Sculptris Alpha 6
    Ignore polygon counts and mesh structure and allow yourself to be spontaneous in your sculpting.
    Sure thing, models are more easy to handle with low polycount, though even pixlogic presents sculptris with the sentence quoted above. I´ll just continue fooling around with it, sometimes clean up the mesh to a good looking balance between detail and usability till my pc tells me to stop it.

once more, the barbarian...

Talking

Lol.

I am just glad to see people breaking the long silence that has held this forum I like your cartoon style Frankyn. It transfers well from 2d to 3 On polycounts there are differing opinions. IF you don't plan to animate and are just shooting for single image projects Polycount Shouldn't count. If however you plan on using the character over and over in say a graphic novel project then yes you want a clean mesh that's easy to rig and use in another program
    They say time is the fire in which we burn. Quick! Someone get a fire extinguisher!

Tartan, that sounds logic to me what you state about polygon count. In respect to Sculptris the only thing that matters to me at the moment, is whether other applications like Vue or LightWave can handle the polygons. If not, then I have to reduce them. Maybe in the future I will want to rigg something and I hope that until that moment I will have learned how to handle Displacements or Normalmaps or other tricks!?

Ralf.

Been around the forum (and the previous one) for a little while, so I've seen many opinions on tri-counts. This is just my two cents on the subject.

While I don't think it is going to help or hurt much of anything if you want to have extremely high tri counts or want to be a bit more conservative, I have found that it can be helpful to go for a lower count when starting a sculpt. Almost every computer so far is likely going to have a limit with Sculptris. That's just an unfortunate fact. As the years go by and computers get better, that limit will raise, but as for now the usual limit is somewhere near 2.5-3 million (I haven't tried to go any higher...lol). I've found that it's nice to start low and have that reserve for doing any possible details later.

There's going to be many reasons to keep your counts lower though. Some have been said, and there are countless others. One of my main ones is just simple impatience...lol. I hate sitting around and waiting while Sculptris tries to take a larger sculpt into paint mode. I don't have any of the other amazing sculpting programs, so I have no choice but to use the paint mode in Sculptris. Thankfully, it's a great addition in itself. On the other hand, if you have the patience (and a computer that lets you bring in a massive sculpt) into Paint, then by all means, you should do it. But, that's part of what the bump map is for with Sculptris. You kind of have to use Sculptris for its strengths and not use it like you would some of the other sculpting programs.

@Franklyn To start with, some interesting sculpts so far. Keep it up. As for the quote from Pixo, I tend to think of it with a different perspective in mind I guess. In some ways it deals more with how many of the other programs before dealt with polygon counts and edge loops, etc. It's not really from the perspective of someone new to the sculpting or 3d area in my opinon. Sculptris has that dynamic tessellation which lets you not focus solely on polygon count anymore. It allows you to just put the details where you need it. But, in some 3d areas, gaming and animation for example, the Sculptris file isn't going to be as usable for numerous reasons. If you aren't planning on going into those areas, then you can pretty much not even worry about any of that and take any sculpt as far as your computer will allow. Then I take it into Blender to render it out since I can get shadows, hair, and numerous other effects with materials that I can't with Sculptris alone. Plus it's free and works great with what Sculptris exports. Though the rest of Blender is completely alien to me and I really don't plan on ever using it...lol.

I normally don't state how many triangles my sculpts are (mostly because no one has really ever asked...lol), but as far as lower tri-counts, I'd ask you guys how many triangles do you think my latest sculpt of a satyr is at right now (sorry, no prizes for who ever is closest)? It's a full body, there are 5 objects (the eyes are currently just unreduced imported spheres so that's 4098 to the count) and it was done before I read any of this so I wasn't trying to create a model with any of this in mind. Nor have I used the reduce mesh button or the reduce brush on any of that model. I also don't have the fingers in yet (that will add quite a few tris once I do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast