Member Follow User Gallery

Default Dragonhead

I got inspired by watching some videos of scultping Dragonheads in ZBrush and started my own. Still have to do the eyes, tooth and maybe painting/texturing. Hope you like it so far.

Eyes and teeth added. Tomorrow I'll try painting and texturing.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Before entering Paint Mode, do with the tusk and horns the same you did with the teeth - use separated objects for them. Also, flatten and reduce all the scaled surface and leave only the major details and volumes (see the left corner bellow? use the Reduce Mesh Tool and get that number to 300.000 triangles at most). You can add reptile skin, scars, scales and else detail later in the Paint Mode with the Bump Tool. All this will save you a lot of troubles and annoyances.

Practical expalnation: you're using loads of triangles and that will result in a really poor texture map or in a crash to the desktop while trying to create the UVMaps, depending on your PC.

Thank you for the tips. I hope the model will not suffer dramatically by reducing the poligon count to about 300k. With another model I already noticed that the change to Paint-Mode took ages (20 minutes or so) and this model had about 1 million poligons.

I got a try with Projection Painting with Photoshop and it works really good. One advantage I realized is that these painted textures are still useful even after you make minor changes to the mesh, just load in once again the PSD-file and it looks just fine, whereas the painted texture made in Sculptris that I can save as a PNG-File gets ripped apart after editing the mesh.

What do you think?

That "ripped apart" image you see is the Texture Map, generated from the UVmapping- and is totally normal (I'd make a joke here but you won't get it yet ). In this process, you get the "skin" of a 3d model projected as a 2d image, all sliced in smaller parts - pretty much like costure paterns. Since Sculptris tries a best-guess method to create the UV map (and it really sucks at it), every painted model has that awful looking archipelago. UV Maps made with any decent 3d software look much better and make a better use of the space, too. You can see a preview of it right in the Paint Mode by pressing "T".

Also, there's another thread here at the Sculptris section of ZBCentral about a Dragon Challenge. Go and take a look at it - most of those full body dragons have less than 500k triangles.

I imagined that the problem were the UV-Parameters. What I found out is, that if you paint in Photoshop with Projection Painting and import those in Sculptris, the painted texture is intact, apparently it is adapted every time to the new UV Parameters, which is cool. If I am correct, ZBrush also uses mainly Projection Painting, though with its own editor and not Photoshop.

A little advance with the skin modeling. Had no time to start the painting.

That's a great detail level but look at this model. See the scales? actually, the base model surface is smooth as an egg but I added all the fishy scales and wrinkles in Paint Mode with the Bump Tool. It's just a suggestion.

You may be right. I am still impressed what level of detail one can add in Sculpt mode. Eventually I will have to do some compromize and learn the hard way: that such a model is hard to handle for painting and outside of Sculptris.

Thanks for the advice with the bumpmap.