ZBrushCentral

Scythe's Anatomy

Hello guys, I finally muster up the courage to post here.
just a C/C from polycount, since my resolve haven’t changed from that :

let’s go straight into the subject.
Back around the end of november, I felt very unhappy with the level i had in anatomy, posing, rhythm and forms. I know i was able to get some result but it took a hell of a time and iterations to get there.

I decided to challenge myself, from this day and for a month, i would have to do a sculpt per day, posed and without symmetry. Getting back to the masters, I decided to copy famous sculptures at firt. as I advanced in my quest for anatomy, I started learning how the body move and work. The funny thing is the more i practiced, the harder it became, and the funnier it was. Time for each sculpture range from 3 to 8 hours. It doesn’t matter if they’re not finished at the end of the day, It wasn’t for the details.

Due to my schedule, there were days when i couldnt work and the weekends were for the family. Though at first i wanted to do it for a month, I Think i’ll be carrying it to the january (while at the same time doing the comicon challenge) and febuary. For now.

Sorry for the novel, now onto the pics.

As of today, i am making a little less because i am working on my comicon entry and on Katon Callaway’s Workshop at the same time.
day1-4.jpg

day5-10.jpg

day11-14.jpg

day15-18.jpg

day19-22.jpgday23.jpg

Attachments

day23.jpg

day1-4.jpg

day5-10.jpg

day11-14.jpg

day15-18.jpg

day19-22.jpg

2 Likes

day23.jpg
day24.jpg
day25.jpg
day26.jpg
day27.jpg

Attachments

day23.jpg

day24.jpg

day25.jpg

day26.jpg

day27.jpg

day27bis.jpg
day28.jpg
day29.jpg
day30.jpg
day30bis.jpg

Attachments

day27bis.jpg

day28.jpg

day29.jpg

day30.jpg

day30bis.jpg

day31.jpg
day32.jpg
day33.jpg
day35.jpg
day36.jpg

Attachments

day31.jpg

day32.jpg

day33.jpg

day35.jpg

day36.jpg

day37.jpg
day38.jpg
day39.jpg
day40.jpg

Aaand that’s it for the recap. Sorry for the load of image

Attachments

day37.jpg

day38.jpg

day39.jpg

day40.jpg

Wow… you poses and anatomy are all so amazing!
Really like the last one with the sword, reminds me of a picture I once saw of an athlete. I wonder if you used that ref :slight_smile:

These are beyond great. The man’s pose in Day 19 (leg straight up) may seem impossible to some, but it is not. Many ballet dancers can do that exact thing.

Great work!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Great way to introduce your work! Nice stuff! I can really see improvement from the first sculpts to the later ones! Very nice!

fooking stellar mate

Awesome work, man. Focused study in something like a class, combined with repeated daily studies is how you get really good really quickly. It takes effort, focus, and dedication but when you look back on where you got to from where you came you can see it totally pays off. Nice work!

Excellent works :+1: you poses and anatomy are toooooooo good:D

I dont want to sound rude, but this thread does not deserve the “top row” status. because the topic starter has a lot of anatomy issues from start to finish. you may call this “sketches” or “quick\rough poses” but not a top row thread. forgive me that words, thats just my opinion.

Beautiful work! I love the energy in these figures. And I can see your passion for making them :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

Alexander

Insane!
You can see the progress stright away. Wel ldeserved top row.
I’m waiting for more.

good work,

that’s so impressive and inspiring. one question, how did you get all the angles to do the studies?

Your dedication and persistence is something to be admired for sure. However, I’m not so sure about the value of all this.
First of all, the poses are good in most cases, I like how you make them so dynamic and energized. But the anatomy is off on pretty much all the models. Clearly you make these models in a matter of hours, but you still manage to find the time to make accessories, clothes etc. Instead of taking this approach, I would spend all the time on anatomy itself first, not the poses and other things that would only distract from the main subject. Instead of doing a complete model that is average in quality in a day, spend this time on a particular part of the model, let’s say arms, legs or torso. Spend a week on each of those and arrange an exam for yourself at the end of the course where you’d would make a figure in a dynamic pose using all your knowledge.
You said that you copied the famous sculptures at first, but copying something will only get you that far. It won’t teach you anatomy, it will only teach you how to make a copy of something without telling you anything about the essence of the original subject, in this case - human anatomy.

I’m not trying to bash your work or anything, but I strongly believe that what you do at the moment is, as harsh as it may sound, a waste of time. Sure, you now know how some poses work, but once you understand the anatomy behind it, and if you make those very poses again, it would be like doing them for the first time. I’ve been through this, so take it from my own experience. Study the anatomy first! Use books, tutorials, what have you. Once you have the foundations, move on to more complex things. After all, you don’t build a house starting from the roof, you do it from the ground level, the foundation.

Mr. Bananas,

the first part of your post was harsh but constructive. It makes sense studying the different body parts and then in the end try to compose a full figure with the knowledge from the smaller projects.
Also when you speak of taking away distractions, like clothes and accessories, I agree with you if the goal, as in this case, is to learn anatomy better.

Your second part of the post was, imho, a bit ignorant. Stating that copying famous sculptures won’t teach you anatomy makes me wonder if you ever studied the subject of anatomy for artists. Did you know that students in art schools during the renaissance and the 19th century french academies copied the master’s works as part of their education?
And if you are unsure about their skill in anatomy - google it. I have seen people, with absolutely zero skill in anatomy become masters in the subject in a matter of only three years with the method of the french academies.
If you are up for a constructive discussion about it I would be more than happy to do it (in a friendly manner of course).

The purpose of this post is not trying to make you look inexperienced, but to say that there are other ways than yours to learn anatomy. And this person has a lot of passion and energy in his figures, which is an important drive when studying a subject like this. Please don’t kill it.

Respectfully,
Alexander

its very good discipline

I’m sorry if I sounded too harsh, demotivate or make Scythe feel bad about himself was definitely not the point of my message. If it did come out this way - I do apologize.