New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Scultris High Detail Mesh Crashing

Hey,

I've been doing some models with sculptris and I ran into this huge problem. Whenever I make a model with at least 1 million triangles it keeps crashing almost each five seconds when I try to sculpt... setting low detail helps slightly so it's purely only mesh detail level. How can I avoid this?
    I've 4 Gb RAM
    2.8 dual core pentium processor (old I know)
    GTX560 Ti Graphics card.
    Thanks in advance!
    EDIT:
    After Sculptris reaches above 1 290 000 triangles and I set the brush to high detail it crashes instantly.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to avoid this. Every computer is going to have its limits with Sculptris. I think that there was a program that lets Sculptris use more RAM, but I can't remember if it was mainly for 64bit OS's or what it was for (been a while). If I remember correctly, someone posted it again recently so it shouldn't be too hard to find to see if it will help.

On the other hand, if you have the time to go through the many threads on here, there have been numerous discussions regarding just how many tri's you may need in order to get the details that you are wanting. If you could post an image of what you were attempting, I'm sure that you could get some help with getting the details that you wanted without going too high for your computer.

Default re

yeah, Sporks right .... bottom line Sculptris runs in a Game-engine type environment, and it's limits are the limits of the computer .... when I first heard of Sculptris, I had an old Dell D600 XP machine with a 128mb graphics card .... I was using Mobility Modder .... I could only take models up to about 120k tris before it would get slow .... This new HP laptop is nothing special .. less chip than yours, but I've had it over a million tris (just for fun) ...
    Really though, you can't paint a model that has much more than 250k tris .... and most animated game models have less than 15k!! ... Sculptris lets you paint to the Bump/Normal map in Paint Mode, rather than Baking a High to Low Poly. It's different, and there's limits, but it makes a lot of things easier .... you can use image alphas for skin and wrinkle details, and use heightmasks for faux AO details. I like the Paint Mode of Sculptris better than the Sculpting .... I use it to import and paint models that I've built and UV-mapped in Wings3d and Blender. Painting to the bump-map is like Sculpting in Paint Mode ... takes some learning, but it's a lot of fun!!

You see, I am doing this for a print. It's a hairstyle model and it does require a lot of details, I'm just wondering why when I use zBrush I can push for even 15 million polygons without my PC breaking a sweat and here it crashes every time I reach above one million - it's not slow it just crashes.

Sculptris is extremely capable at what it does, but it isn't limitless. As computers continue to push forward, Sculptris abilities will also move along with them. That's about all you can hope for since it would seem that Pixo is against the idea of furthering the capabilities of the program. While it is Pixo that is offering Sculptris through their website (and under their name), they had nothing to do with the programming of it so there really isn't a way to truly compare Sculptris and ZBrush abilities for any particular computer. It's an apples and oranges type of thing here. While it's all in 3D, they both do things in a completely different way.

To give you an example along with justadeleted's, my laptop which is getting close to a couple years old now at least, can push Sculptris to well over 2.5 million without any noticeable slowdown (though I can't remember a time that I've taken it over 500k for an actual sculpt).

If you already have ZBrush, and you are needing things that are required to be so highly detailed in the actual model, my question would be why you aren't using ZBrush for this particular project?

I find zBrush ridiculously hard to use due to it's UI, controls and navigation. For example you can't reselect an object, you have to go make a new instance of it to edit it again (what). I can technically create proper assets in zBrush but it takes much more time then in zBrush or blender.

I can use zBrush pretty smoothly, just I find other packages easier to handle, of course nothing beats zBrush power. Thanks for the link tough.

Quote Originally Posted by ArasTeam
    I find zBrush ridiculously hard to use due to it's UI, controls and navigation. For example you can't reselect an object, you have to go make a new instance of it to edit it again (what). I can technically create proper assets in zBrush but it takes much more time then in zBrush or blender.
    What? Make a new instance? Hmm. Read more..