Default Moving an object in Windows Surface

I have just downloaded Sculptris onto my new Windows Surface Pro, and have the most basic question..... how can I move the object? I have no mouse. So, I only have the front view of a ball, and can not turn it to see the side.

Any suggestions? (aside from the obvious, 'buy a mouse'.... the point of having this is because it is very portable without any add ons, wires, etc.)

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I'm waiting to see if there's an answer to this one. I was considering getting one of those because I'd love to sit and mess around with Sculptris while I'm in the vehicle and waiting for a customer.

Since it's a touchscreen tablet, don't they make some kind of pen that has buttons on it to more accurately simulate a mouse while using a tablet? I've never checked, so it's just a question that I may have to go and google. Though I'm still not sure that that would completely solve the problem since you have to use a couple of buttons to move a sculpt around unless it's a programmable pen that allows you to add in that functionality. If they don't make it, someone needs to...lol.

Otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath for Pixo to adapt a version of Sculptris that works on either that or an IPad.

Just as an edit, when working in Sculptris and you click outside of the sculpt, it usually rotates it, does that still work on there?

It comes with a pen. I don't see using Sculptris or Zbrush without the pen.

Kay - You should buy the digitizer pen.

I believe the Surface Pro has an N-Trig Digitizer Display. Its similar to a wacom display but has far fewer levels of pressure sensitivity (512 I think). Im used to a Wacom 21UX, but have an Acer Aspire R7 - 572 at home that I use with Sculptris and Zbrush. The Aspire R7 - 572 has the N Trig Digitizer display and it's not a bad little setup for sketching in either program.

One major difference between N Trig Displays and Wacom Displays is that N Trig is also a multi-touch display, meaning that it not only recognizes the pen, but also your hands and palm. I would recommend disabling the multi-touch feature while sculpting so that your palm doesnt rotate or draw stuff on your model and only the pen will work as an interface device. To do this go into the device manager to disable the human display interface device that recognizes your hand and fingers. On mine it was the first one listed in the device manager. You'll have to turn it back on after each sculpting session to be able to use your fingertips on Windows again. Dont do this if you dont have a mouse or pen because you wont be able to touch it with your fingers anymore.
    BTW, if anyones interested in the Acer Aspire R7 - 572, I give it an enthusiastic 5 thumbs up. The 571 was the earlier model and does not have the N Trig display. It's not as good as a Wacom, but its a great little machine for sculpting, sketching and painting. http://www.acer.com/aspirer7/en_US/

Quick question then. How does that work when you want to zoom in and out with just a pen and the touchscreen? All I've ever used was a mouse, and the only experience I have with a pen like thing is the little stylus on the Note 2. But, if it all works, I really need to consider getting one.

Its been a while since i used sculptris on the R7, but i believe in the sculptris options menu there is an option to turn on tablet navigation. It adds a couple little buttons to the interface that you have to switch between rotate and zoom. An easier way is to hit control on the keyboard and right click outside the model to zoom. (Right-Click being the button on the pen) With no keyboard on the Surface Pro that might not be an option.

BTW Spork, i had a Note 10.1 for a while. I hated it. Android seems to be more like a consumption OS where Windows is more about creation. I had considered the surface pro when i bought the R7, but the R7's bigger screen, backlit keyboard and hinged display won me over. I also bought the Sony Vaio pen because it works the same as the Acer Pen and it was a little longer and cheaper.

Plus there is something called tablet navigation.

Now I know what I'm getting next. Thanks

Also had one more question. What's the tri limit on one of those things? I've never looked at the processors and memory in those.