ZBrushCentral

Leifa's sketchbook

This is a little project I’ve been working on after work hours. I’m still working on the texturing, but the sculpting part is just about done now.

I think I’m going to try comping togeather some layers in ps when I’m done in ZBrush. Anyone that’s sitting on some nice tutorial about the matter?

Critique is very appreciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

twin_wip06.jpg

twin_wip07.jpg

Ended up cuting out a huge part of her for the final image. Learn to kill your darlings ey :slight_smile:

Comped it al togeather in ps, had no idea you could render out passes from ZBrush. The more you know.

I love the the stylism in this piece.
I also think the final comp is great. It’s frustrating to hide work in an image like this, but I think you made the right call.

I’ve noticed that I haven’t been modeling any males for a while. Thought that my portfolio could need a hunk in it.
Still have a long way to go before it’s done, but here’s a work in progress pic.

Critique and feedback would be deeply appreciated :slight_smile:

hunk_wip_05B.jpghunk_wip_05.jpg

There is something really strange going on with your porportions here… maybe somebody with more anatomy knowlage than I could give you more concrete advice. I’m learning the same way you are, so I could be completely wrong about these things and look silly by saying them. :stuck_out_tongue: …but I’ll try to help… My first impulse would be to make the upper arm longer, because the forearm and hand are looking really small. The entire arm feels like it should be a good 5cm longer… Also his thigh and calf muscles are looking really saggy - try studying how the muscle curves attach to the bone structure, and how age effects them. And the feet seem very large, especially the thickness of the ankle from the side. Try comparing the size of the feet to the size of the hands and you will see where some of the strangeness in the sculpt could be coming from. Which is weird, because most sculptors tend to make the feet too small by default.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I totaly agree with what you’re saying on the forearm. Something is wrong there, I’ve been working on it a little more since I uploaded this image. But will definitly take your comments into acount next time I sit down with the sculpt.

It’s something with smal hands and feet that I think look really feminine. And I know people tend to make the feet to smal. Which is why I made them a little bigger, maybe bigger than I should have.
Thankyou for a very detailed comment, it helps alot. Tnks :slight_smile:

Made a new render with less messy shadows, also like the angle a little better.

Render_v02_web.jpg

ops, a long while since my last update. Here’s the final on my hunk sculpt.
This was my first time working with hair and I used the Vray Hair & Fur modifier.
Would really like to test another hair system, this one was not very intuitive if you ask me. Though there’s a lot less bugs in the 2015 version, it still crashes often when styling with splines.

nice work on the defenition and the shoulder area. There’s something odd happening around the wrist area of the hand.
The wrist, even on extremely muscular men, gets much thinner than the forearm and you are losing much of that curve here.
weirdwrist.PNG

Started on a new project. Here’s an work in progress image.

The idea is to start relearning Maya, Arnold and start learning Mari. I needed a model to work with, hence the old man.

Working in Maya is almost like riding a bike, with emphasis on almost.

Attachments

oldman_wip01.png

And so, here he is.
Thought it was time to learn how to use Mari, It was a lot more sluggish than I thought it would be.
Maybe need more RAM here.

Also used Yeti for the first time so much more intuitive and easy to use than Vray hair.
Thinking about testing “shave and a haircut”, thoughts?

The image was renderd with Arnold in Maya, final comp in was done in Nuke.

Attachments

oldman.jpg

Hi here’s a work in progress pic, time to do a sifi sculpt!
irst time I will give a go at hard surface modeling in ZBrush.

Attachments

SSuit_wip_v01.jpg

As I was finishing the sculpt I found these nice greeble brushes. Need to take a closer look on all the brushes that follows with ZBrush…
also, anyone notice that when you have multiple transparent objects it’s very important which object you have selected when you render?
And why is the strongSmooth not a standard brush!? So many questions.

SSuit01.jpg

Love the detail on his feet!

Trying to learn how to sketch a little quicker in Zbrush. Here’s the first try, took about three hours.

Also trying to make my sculpts look a little more interesting. Worked in photoshop with different filters and such, think it came out quite nice.

Zbrush 4R7

Great stuff!