New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Question about tablets for Sculptris and (hopefully ages later) Zbrush

Hi guys,

I have a question for you if you don't mind. I'm new to digital sculpting and I came across Sculptris and I love it!
    Anyway here is my question.

I really need a tablet. But unfortunately I am bit low on money right now. I found a tablet called Wacom Intuos Pen Small. Is it enough for a beginner sculptor? I wanted to buy Wacom Bamboo Pad at first but they I read somewhere that it's not suitable for this type of work. (more for casual user, navigation and stuff)

Also, will they ever fix symmetry in Sculptris. I mean if I turn it off and sculpt something, then turn it on again, it makes the same thing on the other side. Is that a bug or imperfection? Or is this on purpose?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Tablet

Hi there. I'm using a rather old bamboo and have had no problems. Having used a mouse prior to that, I was overjoyed with it.
    As for symmetry, as far as I know, it's all or nothing. There are certain tips and tricks you can use but you'd need to ask someone more skilled with it than me. Hope that helps.

Wacom is definitely the best brand of tablet, as far as which model is really a personal preference. I had an Intuos for a long time and it did the job ok for me. I always felt like i was drawing on a projector because of the way you watch your screen but your drawing on the tablet below. So I felt kind of disconnected with an Intuos. I use a Cintiq now and wouldn't give it up for anything. It feels as natural as traditional media to me.

Some guys prefer intuos because you dont have to hold your arm up on the screen all day like a cintiq. Others like smaller intuos' because you dont have to move your pen far to make a stroke across the entire screen. I prefer watching my hand and pen using the Cintiq. Im so used to it in fact that now when i sketch or paint on paper i am always fumbling with my left hand trying to find the keyboard to hotkey undo's and brush changes.