Default Elite

Hey guys, it's my first post here.
    I finaly have something that is worth posting although it is far from the quality thats around here..
    But I think it is nice to show regardless and give it some views after all the work that went in.

Based on various designs of Halo's elite, this character holds most true to its earlier appearance.
    I built upon it redesigning and reworking it to find shapes to create an interesting flow with curved lines.

full version at 2400px
    http://artbyrens.com/elitebyrensback.jpg
    http://artbyrens.com/elitebyrensfront.jpg

When looking at it you might not see it right away but I tried to have the lines and curves in the model flowing into eachother. It proved to be quite difficult as it needed to work from 360 degrees. During the concepting of parts it took me quite some time to find the right shapes for the armor. In the end the shapes seem very basic, but it was the learning experience of and trial and error that I like about it.

There is a lot wrong with the model that im aware of as I've seen it upclose for a long period of time, but I will leave it for what it is and try to be better on the next piece. The material definition for instance is not great, though I tried a lot of variations it did not want to work well for me. Medium shapes are missing a bit, which is somewhat intentionally as I looked more for flow rather than having all the ingredients. I did add some but it became busy quickly, maybe that could be the next area of learning, how to make it all work together.

I was quite new to rendering and got corona recommended to me. It is a super fast and straight forward renderer for 3ds max. Not having that much experience with offline rendering im quite happy with the result it gave, hoping to step it up a bit on the next one.

It is at Ownage now ready to be printed as a sculpture, so I'm quite excited to see how that turns out.

Hope I did it some sort of justice.
    Thanks for viewing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elitethumb.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	418928  

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

This is very cool. Great design and presentation.

Appreciate the thought of forms and the hard work you put in, and i think you're definitely headed in the right direction.

Btw what renderer did you use?

Keep up the good work and welcome to ZBC.

awesome sculpt
    www.MahamBerry.com
    available for freelance

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks!

I made use of corona, its a free plugin/renderer for 3ds max
    https://corona-renderer.com/

Super fast and hardly needs any tweaking or setting up. Just throw a light into the scene, fiddle around with some materials and you are set!
    This model is about 40 mil triangles and rendered at 2400px, an hour would give a really good result and be alright for most passes,
    after 30 seconds of reading the geo it would start producing an img that is representative of the end result.

Felt that it was efficient to make itterations with,

Hey guys,

I received my 3d print and thought I would share a few photos already.
    It has been done by Ownage, it stands 7inch/18cm tall and exists out of 8 parts counting the pedestal.

The project took me quite some time, but now that I have the final result in I am happy I stuck with it.
    As an artist, I feel that being proud of your own work is hard to achieve. But after having put this together I just cant stop looking at it.
    It is such a reward to see it in a physical form that I have a hard time figuring out that I made this.

anyway, good times!

Stunning piece man - congrats!!

Claudio

that is awesome!

Congratz. very nice work.

what tutorials did you look at for creating the keyed parts?

awesome work!

Thank you!

hockey,
    I did not take care of the splitting of the model or the keys. All this has been done by Ownage, I simply supplied them with my model.
    What I did do is manually sculpt in some extra padding between parts in the ztool so that there were no leaks or empty pockets.
    Sorry I cant answer your question.

Member Follow User Gallery

How much they charge for printing and preparing for print a model such as yours ?

You should be very proud.. It is a great feeling when you see the fruits of your labor.... Great job!

You nailed it, man! How many hours does it take to build a model like that? How about the dimension? It seems like it***8217;s printed in average size, but the details are stunning.
    3D2PRINT- Creating the 3rd Dimension

Sorry for the late response,

As you pay by weight/volume of the model, the cost goes up tremendously if you go above 5 inches or so.
    As this model is rather solid and wide, being 7inch tall it is expensive. Not going to give the exact cost but it is several hundred dollars.
    Do mind I also picked the most expensive service out there, but for a good reason, their quality is absolutely fantastic.

A rule of thumb I stuck to is the FOV in zbrush is about 20 to get the perspective of how it turns out in real life.
    As well as if you scale the model in the viewport to the size you will print it, and still see the details on screen they are most likely to be printed.
    I did notice a bunch of the smaller grain and detail didnt make it, so make sure to carve some of it in a little bit more than others.
    What helps for this is switch matcaps to get an idea of what is enhanced by the material and what will print.

artistguy, !

edjennings, It is hard to say as this was my go to project to learn from.
    I did not rush it as it has been over two years that I started it. I would boot it up for a couple nights in a row and doodle around. After that I would leave it alone for a few weeks or months.
    If I did the whole thing in one go I think it would take me about the same time as it would do now, though I would have never learned about shapes and volumes as ive done now.
    Because of the getting back to it and realizing that a lot was wrong, or by trial and error of adjusting it you get to see the difference.
    I am confident the characters I would build now will be of higher quality as I know why I do certain steps or choices.
    It would probably take me a couple weeks to rebuild the whole thing?

Thanks for the replies guys

awesome model and great print glad it came out so well
    Just had a brief look through your portfolio
    nice collection of work you should post here more often