Default Recent works of Darcy Korch

Hey all,

So its been far to long, but I wanted to start up a little thread on what I've been up to, and have a place here to show you all past, present and future works. So here we go.

First piece is a quick personal project I recently finished (for now). I may go back to this to do a bit more work, or finish some things out if I decide to print it. It started just as a torso study from a sphere, but then i just kept going....

This Next piece is a little creature I created from a concept by my studio's animation manager John Meehan. His work is absolutely killer. You can go check it out at his blog: http://johnsfigments.blogspot.com/
    This was done as a favor for him, and I had a blast working on it. Its been printed out, so once I get a decent photo ill post it up for you all to see!

Default The Last of Us

I had the great pleasure of working with Naughty Dog again, this time remotely through Sony San Diego. I was brought in very early to the Last of Us, and was so entirely stoked for the idea of this game. Like always it was a blast working with this group of people, and as you all know, the game came out amazing!

If you saw the art of book for the infected creatures, you will know there was a lot of ideas thrown around. I had the great opportunity to help with some concept sculpts, and eventually end up making the infected female that was in one of the first trailers. In the end, her head was redesigned by the great Michael Knowland, and might I say, for the better!

The first character I worked on for this project was a background Stragler. This was his design, and my creation of it.

This Last character I created was Marlene. However as my creation of her was early on in the development of this game, her style ended up changing, and they went in a different direction. The final character was created by the very talented Soa Lee!

Woww.. amazing work man.. I am a big fan from naughty dog, you guys a big inspiration for me hehe..
    I just started a program on Gnomon in LA, I am working hard to achieve this level of ability some day.

You worked remotely with naughty dog? That mus be amazing.. How long do you have to create a character from the beginning to the end, do you also have to retopolize it?

How long have you being working with 3d ?

Congratulation on your achievements.. really amazing

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Nice work Darcy. Always cool to see what you've been up to.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hey Gregory, thanks for the compliment!

Hi Renato, thank you for your compliments! To answer your questions:
    Yes I worked remotely from Sony San Diego with Naughty Dog. I use to work at Naughty Dog on uncharted 1 and 2. I then Left to come back to San Diego.

The time it takes to create a character is a very debatable question. It really just depends on how much iteration and change goes on. But a general rule of thumb is 1-2 months for a next generation full character, and yes you have to retopoligize it.

If you include going to School, I have been working in 3d for close to ten years now. but 7 years I have been in the video games industry.

Thanks again! Ill have some more work ill be posting up next week from my work on infamous 2!

Hi all!

Here is a new piece I Created. I made this as a character/likeness study based off of a killer sculpture I found by Artist Jami Young. She had created this amazing sculpture to turn into a Halloween mask. http://www.jyoung-studio.com/halloween.htm

Starting in on this piece I had only the intention of it just being a quick lunch sketch and in a couple hours I had the majority of the sculpture done. But as I was deciding to put it away.... I just kind of kept going.... So after finishing out the sculpt I thought it would be fun to texture and render the character and try some new techniques out using keyshot and photoshop.

Also, here is a render of the sculpt I did for the shaman character I created. As you can see I did not go into the full detail I usually would with human skin. I felt this would help maintain the style and character of what Jami Youngs original mask was. I also think doing this lent it self into focusing and making certain features pop and making the render a bit more interesting.

Hope you like it, and you can see higher res versions of it and my other works over at:
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/dkorch
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-o...59485874244905

Really liking the shaman. I love the texture of the bone!

Default Infamous: Second Son

Thank you bolovorix!

I semi recently had the great pleasure to work on one of the first ps4 titles and work with the amazing team over at Suckerpunch on their latest title, Infamous: Second Son! I contributed with a few different aspects on this project, but one of the aspects I was the most proud of was the great pleasure to create Betty, AKA, stapler lady! hope you enjoy!

The clothes look great! How did you achieve the lightly crumpled look on the skirt? Surely not by hand?!

Nagulov: Thank you for the kind words. The larger crumples are created by hand, and the smaller micro wrinkles were created by various alphas that I typically will lay down in a pattern fitting to the garmet. I then go in using the morph brush to paint out and break up the wrinkles leaving only the ones that make sense. After that I then usually do a second hand sculpting pass to make them pop a lot more.

Default saga

Hey All, here is a little side project I had started last year based off of the amazing art From Fiona Staples for the comic book Saga. The giant cat was clay sculpted by the talented Julio Garay which was scanned by our team down here in san diego, and brought into zbrush to test out techniques of scanning a traditional sculpt to digitally pose and print with other 3d objects.

This has a very Richard Corben "Den Saga" look to it(though with more clothing). Is he an influence?

Hi Springfield-Jack: While I did not use any of his work as reference for my sculpture, I can definitely see the similarities you are pointing out. Its very possible that the original comic creators used him as an influence in the creation of their comic. I can really see it between these two covers:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...984611d9b1.jpg

https://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.ne..._009_cover.jpg

Beautiful job. I'm unfamiliar with the source material, but the thumbnail made me think of 'Riddick'. In fact, I'm now wondering if they were sort of pulling from this when they made that. In Riddick he looks a lot like that dude, and hangs out with a Jackal type creature with large ears like that. From afar, it's basically the same idea.

Thanks dopepope. You could very well be right. I see some similarities in the design as well. But hey that's how it goes really. We all pull designs from what we see!
    Cheers!