ZBrushCentral

Digital Painting and Sculpting: Elevators, Mechas and Androids - Butterfly IV

Hi!!!

Today I bring you a new Making Of video. It’s not about a big great sculpture, neither a very complex technique, nor a super amazing character. It’s just my daily workflow, where I use all the tools I have at hand to achieve what I have in mind. In this case, it covers the process of making one of the inner illustrations for the last Sergio R. Alarte’s “Butterfly” fascicle, Butterfly IV - Elevators, Mechas and Androids.

Long Version:
[youtubehd]2PqweIGb0wA[/youtubehd]

Short Version:
[youtubehd]DzvigACh5nA[/youtubehd]

So, the challenge was to recreate one of the most intense secuence of the short novel, when the main characters, dressed in some sort of mechas, face against an android inside the elevator. Ok, the idea was very clear, but the main obstacle was the vertical layout, and the complexity of the angle of view and perspective to take a look of all the characters involved in the action. Instead of getting mad with perspective lines and all kind of bad issues, the solution for me is obvious: sketch in 3D, refine in 2D.

The very rough scene is sketched in 3DsMax, cause it’s very appropiate to match the camera and search for a suitable composition. The rest of the process is made in ZBrush and Photoshop. And yes, everything it´s almost sculpted and redrawed twice, coming back and forth until we liked it.

Mecha characters are sculpted from zSpheres and posed with Transpose in the first part, just sketching from the kaos. Then, I resculpt them from a single dynamesh sphere and then rigged and posed multiple times with Zspheres. The same about the elevator. And then everything is painted over in Photoshop, to achieve that cartoonish style.

Hope you liked it, thanks for watching. Follow Butterfly crew and Captain James’ adventures!!

Attachments

BIV-4Low.jpg

That’s a cool process. Thanks for putting that video together.

Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Wow very cool and informative… Thanks for sharing. Excellent work.