Member Follow User Gallery

Default Lion-Arts presents: Make a Jurassic Park inspired Velociraptor in ZBrush

Above are some final renders achieved using the techniques described in the following tutorial. (The High Res Versions can be found on my website: http://www.Lion-Arts.com)
    Rather than just do a simple breakdown of the Render Pass compositing I did to achieve these, I've decided to create a simple, easy to follow tutorial for anyone new to ZBrush and interested in creating dinosaurs or any type of creatures with this level of detail and realism. I hope you enjoy it, and I'll try to upload parts 2 and 3 over the next week or so. Thanks for checking out my work!

Default Lion-Arts presents: Make a JP inspired Velociraptor in ZBrush: Part 1

The 1000% slower version of the Jurassic Park Theme is Uh-mazing!
    Enjoy here: https://soundcloud.com/birdfeeder/ju...me-1000-slower

Some tips and advice for younger/novice artists.

Inspiration
    Love what you're working on or find something else. Have passion! Use music, movies, drawings, art of / making of books, photos, video games, etc. If you can, create an environment which is optimal for you to focus on your craft -stimulating and conducive for your passions and creative energy. Preferably one which allows you to be free from distractions.

Foundation
    Base knowledge of anatomy, drawing, sculpting, form, etc. Be able to sculpt with real clay. Be able draw with a real pencil and paper. While not "required" for working in 3D, those who are skilled in the traditional ways of art and then jumped into digital -it usually shows. A classical basis in art and a scientific background/understanding of your subjects will help you out IMMENSELY! Learn from the BEST, not just your peers. Typically, like in all aspects of life, you'll learn far more and grow leaps and bounds by learning from the older, wiser, more experienced. Your "peers", people who are around your same age or skill level will typically only have about as much knowledge/experience as you, so if you want to actually really GROW and be stretched/challenged (which is the best and fastest way to develop your skills), you better surround yourself with experts or teachers/instructors who know and have DONE much more than you have. Become a cross-disciplinary thinker/artist -diversify your interests, you can gain more than you know from making a concerted effort to learn about other topics tangential to your own -look into the sciences, robotics, animal studies of wild animal behaviors, etc.

Reference Materials
    Have the best available you can find - Whatever inspires you -there's usually more of it out there -find it, study it, master your knowledge and understanding of it. Make your job easier by setting yourself up for success! Google image search is great, but dude, buy a book or two! Nothing beats having it just laying there on your desk, couch, coffee table, wherever, open to a page of something you love.

Time
    Take and/or make adequate time to work on your project(s)!

Commitment
    Have a strong work ethic and for God's sake FINISH what you were so inspired to start in the first place!
    You can have all the tutorials, the best teachers, instructors, experts, professors, and PhDs with years of real world experience teaching you, but if you're lazy, undetermined, if you lack the mature conviction to -act- on your vision, on your passion, you will not experience much success in the projects you take on (in ZBrush, or in life, really). Commit yourself, your energy, time, resources, and will to your chosen objective, whatever that may be.

Be Brave
    Fail - Failure is your friend, so long as you're ^ committed to your work, and passionate. Failing means you've tried, and unless you're a savant / prodigy your skills will only get better with practice. Lots and lots of crappy, sculpts.

Balance
    Balance is KEY - take the dog for a walk regularly, get some fresh air, exercise, get/look away from your computer for a while, get outside, see friends, hit the beach, go see a movie for more/renewed inspiration!

Stay Humble.
    Remember, there's ALWAYS someone better than you. Fewer things will get you blacklisted and out of work than being an arrogant person, so don't become prideful. No one wants to work with a jerk, no matter how good your stuff is "perceived" to be. Learn to speak with people, and learn to be teachable. Everyone's a teacher, even people with no formal art or design background -they're still consumers, and know what they like when they see it. You can learn from everyone; From kids to leading PhDs in their field. You just have to listen and desire to grow in wisdom & knowledge.

Default Lion-Arts presents: Make a JP inspired Velociraptor in ZBrush Part: 1

Here's Part 1 of the Tutorial! Have fun! Experiment!

Part 2 coming in a week or so. If you'd like to jump ahead, check out all the great, free tutorials and training in the ZClassroom, here on Pixologic's site! http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Very nice Raptor, love the colors! thanks for sharing your workflow techniques, very efficient

@SammehSAMURAI
    Thanks man!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up Thanks for sharing

Hey daniellionarts I'm gonna grab a coffee and read my way trough it.. exemplary work here man will share this on FB

Wow, your sculpts are really amazing, and the tutorial is great to
    Tnx for sharing

Thumbs up Great work

Great tutorial really well detailed and of course very beautiful Sculpt !
    JB

jbmonge
    Itak
    xenomon

-Thanks so much guys! I also just revised/reuploaded all of the images here to make them a bit more manageable to read and view/navigate in the browser. Though the text still looks kind bad/artifact-y in some images. Please let me know if it's ok for you guys, or if another revisement/reuploading would be wanted.
    Cheers!

wow i awesome..... i like your workspace cool......

What's the purpose of dynamesh?

I think it's unnecessary in this case. The Zspheres should be your starting base with a little retopo fixes here and there.

Hey MentalFrog
    True, I suppose you could just draw the ZRemesher Guides onto the ZSphere base mesh to create the same type of topology. With other models I often sculpt some amount of detail into the Dynamesh before duplicating, ZRemeshing, and then projecting back most of those details, though here I didn't take that route, so out of habit, I suppose is why I showed Dynamesh more than anything.
    I'll correct the images and show a Dynamesh workflow with another model in another section/tutorial. Thanks for asking.

Default See my Raptor in real-time 3D via p3d -right in your browser or on your mobile device

Still need to get Parts 2 & 3 of my tutorial out to you guys, (been busy) but in the meantime, check out a decimated version of my Velociraptor in real-time 3D via p3d!
    http://www.p3d.in/k3loh

Jurrassic Park Inspired Female Velociraptor - Lion-Arts.com (View in 3D)
    [url=https://p3d.in/k3loh]

Thanks for putting forth the effort for this, you've done phenomenal work. I'd really love to see parts 2 & 3.