Member Follow User Gallery

Default Bonsai WIP

I've finally started getting into zbrush. I've been doing non-modeling work in games for over a decade, so I am rusty to say the least. I tried Sculptris when it came out and, of course, fell in love. I bit the bullet and bought Zbrush a couple months ago and in the little time I've been able to give it, I've been insanely pleased. Speaking of insanely: Insanely, I don't have internet at home... so here I am posting a phone capture of progress (at least to start).

Last night I started this sculpt from a sphere. I've done a concept of it. I have a series of inks that I've done, and though I'm pretty happy with the concept I came up with/value study of an ink I plan to do -I decided I'd model the concept in zbrush, so I can do an ink with the best ref possible. I was so pleased with the progress, that I took it into Photoshop and sketched some color over a bpr render... even though I'm doing an ink- I plan on doing a watercolor wash over it, so these studies may/may not come into play on the final.

Hopefully it's not too confusing: This is going to be a home inspired by a bonsai tree. This is the main level-made of stone, which the bonsai will grow over and around. I'll post the concept later on- I don't want the full thing being revealed right away, because the final image is going to be a kind of surprise for a friend- and I don't want to risk spoilers.

I'll likely have loads of questions- and PLEASE bring the crits... I'm very excited to learn better methods, know my weaknesses, etc.

I'll update often: I need to finish this thing by the end of October- well, I have to finish the sculpt well before that, becasue the final image needs to be done by November. Ack!!

Cheers!

Yeah- installed it Tuesday night- I started goofing with it and got confused quickly- I'll have to refamiliarize myself with the tutorials before I head home tonight. Have you gotten into it?

Very cool, Doug, big thanks. I'll add them tonight.

So, I already have my first question. I'm looking to get into a decent renderer to display this stuff... Obviously I'm looking forward to 4R7 so I can get the Keyshot pairing, but for now I'm considering Marmoset. I really am n00b at this stuff... trying to establish workflow. If you were me, just getting ramped up, would you buy Marmoset? Would you wait to learn materials and the Zbrush UV system first? Maybe I don't even have to go there yet.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

ZBrush can be used to get a pretty good render. Cheating may be involved.

ZBrush can make awesome renders. That combined with Photoshop....well, you may want to wait. I suggest you watch some of the recent Summit videos. You might not need to go any further with additional rendering programs for the time-being anyway.

Very cool. I've been sponging up summit vids- any excuse to watch more is good by me. Big thanks Doug and ArtBot.

Last night's progress. Did another paintover test. The feedback I'm getting from guys at work is that it's hard to see what's going on. I'll keep that in mind going forward, but suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Great. Another rendering suggestion is to check this out. Daniel Bystedt took the time and care to make his rendering steps easy to follow here:
    and they are terrific.

http://dbystedt.wordpress.com/2012/0...n-zbrush-4-r2/

Huge thanks ArtBot! I've downloaded it and will follow along from home :

Got a bit of time to work on this during the weekend. Trying to work out layout as much as the sculpt itself. I'm learning as I go here- I think next on the docket, if I understand how it works, is insert mesh/micromesh... or something? Hah! I plan to add moss and misc foliage after I flesh out the upper branches. I also plan to add texture to the cat donuts and pyramid.

The tools I've begun learning on this pass over the weekend include: 1. Curve Tube Brush 2. Transform editing 3. Initialize editing 4. Deformation editing. I'm still struggling to understand the transform editing- seems to take forever to scale or rotate something off and on. I'm also learning masking dos and don'ts, though I'm definitely still struggling there. I've glanced, but not read, the tutorial that ArtBot shared on rendering- some of which seems to sport methods I've seen in a YouTube video, but much more advanced photoshopping/passes, which I REALLY love, and look forward to learning.

Anyway, my love for this is pretty severe. I might even migrate from concept to character artist here, at work. I've talked to both leads already and it's nice knowing I have that option. I just need to get a solid grasp before I jump in. Fun stuff.

Please, if you don't mind, have a look and call out any issues you might see so far. My big struggle right now is layout and profile. I might share the concept drawing I did for this soon, which is a starting place, but I've already deviated from somewhat. Ah, hell... I'll just add it now lol.

Here's my original concept drawing:

Oh man. At first I couldn't tell if you were THE Mike May "Feeb" or just another pretender... until I saw the sketch. I used to be such a big fan back in the day. I guess I still am. This is awesome!

Wetterschneider, you officially made my day with that comment... and HOLY HELL, I love your work!! I'm honored and humbled. I've been pretty anxious about response on this, as no one has given any indication of whether or not I was doing well... this place is intimidating!

So were we on an art forum together back in the day? I've been pretty much a ghost on art forums- whole new crowd now. We all used to know each other, and now it's a blur of names, it seems.

Thanks again so much for the reply. Really means a lot. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast