New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Assignment #2: Herbivore Sculpt

For our second assignment, we had to make a herbivore; Though my teacher gave us demos and tutorials for a rhino base mesh, I decided I HAD to be different, which was time consuming, difficult, and frustrating on multiple levels.

So I made a freakin' deer. Which seemed easy, but having only touched Zbrush once before hand, which was a rock sculpt, and then moving to a full blown deer...needless to say, it was hard.

I had trouble with the antlers, they got weird, warped, and didn't quite look right. That and the tail, fiber mesh is the devil. I tried really hard, but I just could not get the tail to work. I did however get the fiber mesh around the ears, so that worked well.

This was really fun to do, but I think I got a little over excited, and bit off more than I could chew :( .

Here's the reference:

Here's the result:

I feel like I never have enough time to finish these; But they're assignments so I have to get them in by when they're due.
    I don't really know how I feel about this one :(.

-Linds

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Well, there are some anatomy issues for sure but for a second try at sculpting in ZBrush, it's good work and shows promise (if I can say that without sounding condescending). I think if you were to attempt the same thing again with a wider range of references, you'd immediately notice an improvement. That said, keep at it and don't get discouraged. Expect only to learn and you won't be disappointed in the end.

For an animal that seems to be rather simple a deer is actually quite complex.
    I do not know how much time you had to get this in so critique on quality is not possible.
    I would really like to see you try it again when you have more time.
    Keep plugging away. It only gets better!

Default Great start

Great progress. I would take a deep look and understanding of the bone structure as well as the muscles of the deer. Your silhouette is almost there but the underlying anatomy really helps you set down sick details later in the game. I'll follow your thread. Keep up the great work.

Post often, reply. Help others and give back to the community, this is how zbrushcentral will stay alive.
    http://micahmyerov.com/portfolio/ - Portfolio
    https://vimeo.com/103362994 - Demo Reel 2014

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thank you guys so much, your feedback really, really helps!
    Keeps me motivated!

I'll try it again when I'm on my school break!

-linds