ZBrushCentral

FREE Tutorial - Making of the Uruk Hai Orc from scratch part 1/4

(Part 1/4)

here is the link: http://youtu.be/XKq69aWPsmE ( Version With Music )
Link to downloadable Version: http://youtu.be/u1gz7YRUZZw ( no music )

(Part 2/4)

link: http://youtu.be/c1i5flDKkPo

Hello everyone,

my name is Christopher K. and in this video i will take you through the process of making the Uruk Hai Orc you know from the Lords of the rings movies. I might give out the finished piece when done. Im a character artist but i do consider myself to be a 3d generalist because i tend to do mostly anything that inspires me in my free time.
Anyway I got inspired by the movie Lord of the rings, so i decided to make a tutorial on how i would aproach this and also explain what im doing. I really hope it will help someone out there who is new to zbrush sculpting but still knows the basics.
I will be also working with 3ds max, topogun and blender. It is important that you have a basic understanding inside of zbrush to be able to understand how to mask or use the dynamesh feature. Even if you are looking for anatomy sculpting, this might help you. This is by no means the only way to aproach this and you will see for yourself if it works out for you as i start this character from scratch. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm and i will reply asap.

btw I used the dynamesh features along with the masking tool and the insert meshes brushes. I am planning to start an online Portfolio soon now that i had some time to learn zbrush i feel i can now make use of this great tool.

let me know what you guys and girls think :slight_smile: and remember you can ask me anything if something is not clear to you. Also If you want me to improve my videos let me know and i will consider that aswell.

my best
Chris

Thanks for sharing. Your approach is very well rooted and so is your video. I particularly love the textul comments you added. Yes, it makes it necessary to watch the movie ore than once, but that is not a dreadful task at all. The text also makes the comment more concise and to the point. Some talking tutorials makers tend to improvise whilst they are working, and end up in the marshes of small talk that has nothing to do with what is shown.

Thanks again, and patiently waiting for the next parts.

congrats!

I only wonder wy downloading is disabled.

Meanwhile I know. Youtube blocks download because the video contains content from WMG>The music you used is copyrighted by Warner Music Group, and therefore Youtube blocks all possible downloads.

I would appreciate it a lot if you could upload a music-less version.
Your tutorial is too important, and people like me don’t have Internet access all the time.
:slight_smile:

Hey Heyninck,

thanks for the kind words. Im glad you like it. I reuploaded a new version. Let me know if you still have any issues with the download.

my best
Chris

Perfect.

I like the music, of course I do - I have the three cd’s - and although I find it a bit exaggerated, YT has to protect the copyright. So sorry but a huge thanks for this extra effort.

You show and explain things I haven’t seen explained before. Like the three edgeloops for the animators.

thanks again,

Erik

finally finished part 2/4 yesterday. Link above.

Thanks!

watching and downloading will start is a few seconds.

Part (3/4) Making of the Uruk Hai Orc -

heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRX8G02U8lg&feature=player_detailpage :+1:

Thanks once again.

Topogun looks like a good addition to ZRemesher, but then again I have Modo which also does the job.

One question though: you use Max for the helmet and Blender for the shoulder caps. Is this to widen the tutoriaal or do you really have a good reason for this choice?
I have neither - only Modo - so I have difficulties following you here in that choice.

The tutorial stays on the same level, and to repeat myself: the appearing texts work much better than the often improvized chit-chat of some talkies. Silent movies are the way to go!

Thanks once again.

Topogun looks like a good addition to ZRemesher, but then again I have Modo which also does the job.

One question though: you use Max for the helmet and Blender for the shoulder caps. Is this to widen the tutoriaal or do you really have a good reason for this choice?
I have neither - only Modo - so I have difficulties following you here in that choice.

The tutorial stays on the same level, and to repeat myself: the appearing texts work much better than the often improvized chit-chat of some talkies. Silent movies are the way to go!

Hello Heyninck,

no there is no real reason why i used blender to make the pad but you know im using 3ds max 2011 version and likely the viewport perfomance is not that great so it was just a tad faster for me to use blender that is all really. You can even go in using the masking method inside zbrush alone with panel loops to make nice clean bases. Just personal preference really. Thats the beauty of freedom for me that i can swap between different 3d packages of choice and blender is free:)

I forgot to mention why i use topogun. Its because by creating the topology manually i can control where to have my loop cuts precisly. Im sure you can use the frame funtion with zremesher to controll where to zremesh but honestly i have topogun for so long now and its been very usefull for me.

thanks for watching.

my best
Chris

Thanks. I assumed this but just wasn’t shure.
Indeed, like a guitar player picking up this Fender, then this PRS, or a painer choosing lemon yellow fron one brand and then viridian green from that other one.
The richess of being creative.

Thanks for replying.

Gues ill call this done. For now :slight_smile: Time to move along with other things.
link: http://youtu.be/d07kgcX2mto

Part 4/4 - making of Uruk Hai orc.

thanks for watching.

Thanks for this final part.
Downloading at this moment…

Hey there,

thanks alot for your support :slight_smile: Hope you enjoyed it. I am planning on making a 4R7 video, just not sure yet what kind of model i will be doing but thats the next vid ill make.

best regards
CK