ZBrushCentral

Artist Anatomy Figurines

Hiya all at ZBC,

I have been trying to develop the concept of having my own range of artist anatomy figurines.
Below is the first attempt at a half Anatomical muscle tone and half skin tone zbrush model. A full skin tone zbrush model. A full Anatomical muscle tone zbrush model. None of which are 3d Print ready, but they are down to around 33k polys at lowest sud-d.

Turntable with wireframehttp://youtu.be/AhAX6eKBjPk

All Critique is welcome im looking to get these as accurate as possible at the level of detail i am aiming for.

Thanks

Attachments

artist anatomy Figurine Comp.jpg

Anatomy Figurine-Full Muscle Tone.jpg

Anatomy Figurine- Full Skin tone.jpg

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AhAX6eKBjPk?list=PLXKOoWnqhhz76Z6WQxDOHPAMzgMHvUFQX" frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Turntable

So far i have discovered this website in the States selling anatomy figures for artist at a ludicrous price
http://www.anatomytools.com/anatomy-c5.php range from $199-$399 + $60 to ship UK
famfv2-1-6scale_000.jpg

And in the UK there is this one which i have ordered to get look at my price ranged competition.

3d_product.jpg
https://shop.3dtotal.com/figures/male-figure.html Priced at £60 + UK P+P

Compare the gluteos area from Anatomy tools (the painted one, that is think is clearer, around 150£)
Image 472.jpg
With this one from 3dtotal. I have both but I think that having in consideration the photos you can guess what I think.
Image 473.jpg

Hi, I think this is because of the inconsistent quality of the 3d total models, I am looking to produce one, to the standard of anatomy tools but at a fraction of the cost***128522; I have seen some awful examples of bad cast of the 3d total models ***128542;

Hi James.

Nice study, and one which as I know all to well will go on for years. Things to watch for is getting volumes, proportions correct, and not get too much into the details just yet. When doing such a study I highly recommend working on individual parts of the body as a study, this way each part gets it attention it deserves. I can see you have gone for the above average, a hero of 8 heads tall, in which id be inclined to put the 5th rib, the bottom of the pecs below the 2nd head high down, at the moment its above it which gives the whole torso a elongated look. Look at things like the Skeletal land marks, and make sure they are correct before adding muscle.

Does the clavicle angle back with a S curve in it?
Acromiom process sit in the correct place, and is the right size?
Look at the placement of the pit of the neck to that of the 7th cervical vertebrae, they shouldn’t line up, 7th should be higher…
Look for the 6th,7,th,8th, ribs, and costal cartilage, they are important because the 5th is almost in like with the bottom of a male chest, the 6th, 7th. 8th are where the visible portion of the Serratus Anterior, and Thoracic portions of the external oblique are.
Look for where there is plane changes in the rib cage.
Look at which order the insertions of the Latisimus Dorsi, Teres Major are, as well as the order in which the back muscles lay. Also include the arms in this.
The Extensors of the forarm, look at the origin and insertion of the brachioradialus in relation to the ridge of the humerus.
Locate the three positions of the pelvis, Anterior superior Iliac spine, Posterior superior iliac spine, and peek point of the iliac crest.
Look for the correct location of the Greater Trochanter in relation to the pubic bone.
Define the different forms of the patella to the patella ligaments, to the Tibial Tubuerocity.
How does the Patella relate to the location of the three heads of the quadriceps.

What to take from this is go back to Skeleton, and really look closer at portions, and relationships from bone to bone which includes the angle, plane changes, scale, length. If the Skeleton is correct, then the Origin and insertions will be correct, then you can look at forms, plane changes, and relationships between the muscles. Keep going, and keep enjoying it. its a huge subject, and gets more involved as you go. I dont normally reply to these threads as it can take forever, but I wish I had someone comment on mine years ago in which could have saved me some time. I highly recommend joining https://www.uartsy.com/ there is a Artistic Anatomy in Zbrush course which will take you a long way, and is priced very fair. I also recommend Scott Eatons Anatomy class, its not cheap, but its very comprehensive.

Danny.

Hi james.

I just ordered my own copy of zbrush and Pixologic are selling those anatomytools.com figure in bundle at discount price with zbrush.

A good deal I think is the ecorché from Raphael graseti. Only 16$ for the zbrush model on gumroad (a website that allows to buy directly form the artist): https://gumroad.com/grassetti It is not a figure you can hold in your hand but you can load it in zbrush and look at it from all sides. His whole anatomy and design class is only 22$.

The 3dtotal figure is a good price and still 11 inches tall but a lot less detailed than the anatomytools.com’s one.

About your own figure, there are many proportion problems you would have to fix to make it a perfect reference. The most obvious that I see are: the knees are too big. the arms are too short and forearms too long. The rib cage is a bit too protruding in the abs part. The silhouette and pose too stiff. the muscle look like they were just drawn on the skinned version. I’m sure if you just work a few hours in all of those areas it will rapidly improve a lot.

Good luck!

Wow Danny, now that’s what I call a concise critique of my study :slight_smile: thank you so much for the detail you have gone to to describe some of the issues and some really good tips for resolving them.

I just remember Raphael Graseti is also making a figure with his écorché, we can pre-order on his website: http://grassetti.wordpress.com/ecorche-statue/

Thanks strob, I’ll have to look at that model by graseti. I’ll take those points on board, the same as Danny’s. I plan on spending a little time tomorrow on this project so ill look at proportioning and scale. My main reference has come from one book ‘zbrush digital sculpting: human anatomy’ By Scott Spencer with Eric Keller and Paul Gaboury.

Heyya Guys,

Didn’t get hardly anytime to Zsculpt this week, so far. I have manage to sit down and change a few of the glaringly obvious errors i had made.
I think i had been looking for just way too long at nothing but anatomy.
Here is my current WIP
Critique and tear it up guys ill be waiting :smiley:

Thanks James