Unhappy Help me start my first proper Retop?

Hey all, i'm new here.

While I have a fairly good understanding of topology, edge flow etc -I've not really done a lot of retopping in my time practicing 3d.

I'm in my final year at University studying computer games design and my 3D Character design module piece needs retopologizing so I can start to UV map, texture and render.

Basically while some parts will be fairly easy, there are subtools I literally have no idea how to approach in terms of retop.

This is a screenshot of the character so far, feel free to give advice & criticism but i'm primarily here for help with the topology. It is a WIP and much of the life-giving details and fine polishing aren't included yet. I have around a 35k poly budget for the whole character.

For example one subtool which I fear retopping is these thigh panels which are v.low poly and made in max. I originally started an attempt like this:

but I don't see how I can respect the edge flow I know I need without making many triangles etc.

If anyone could help me or maybe upload an image showing how they'd go about the retop that would be great.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThighPlates.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	437189