Default Hello - First Post, first WIP piece with ZBrush

Hi,
    Apologies if I posted this incorrectly, I'm new to both ZBrush and this forum.
    I'm from London England but now living in Montreal Canada.

I started with ZBrush just a few days ago, inspired by all the amazing work here. At the risk of embarrassing myself, I have attached my first WIP piece done with ZBrush (I still have much to do). I know very little about the app and have spent the last few days desperately trying to learn all I can about it but I'd love to get any hints and tips from the people here.

I just used dynamesh for the entire thing as I haven't figured out how to do much else as yet, but equally I have found dynamesh to be incredibly flexible.
    As you can see from my example, I am also experimenting with polypaint too.

I'm not a 3d pro, just an enthusiastic amateur artist but I'm obsessed with learning and ZBrush is so addictive I'm having a blast : )
    Thanx in advance for any feedback,
    Kev.

P.S If anyone has any suggestions for books on anatomy, or great sources for learning hard surface modelling ( paid or otherwise) please advise.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default sensational first effort

Congrats on a fabulous first piece. Keep the obsession !

Thanx for the encouragement : )
    I was wondering if newbie efforts would just pass by unnoticed when there's so much incredible work passing through the forum but everyone has to start somewhere : )

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the tools in ZBrush, I'm sure everything i do could be done much more easily if I knew more about the app but I'm enjoying the learning.
    Once again thanx : )

New Member Follow User Gallery

What a fantastic first piece! Seriously it puts my first and latter stuff to shame. I haven't even worked up the courage to post yet so congrats!

I don't have much experience with hard surface tutorials, but there is a nice getting started guide that opened up a whole new world to me which also happens to be free.

https://www.uartsy.com/course/learn-zbrush-getting-started

and

https://www.uartsy.com/projects# (Click on the free tab)

There are a whole slew of free projects on uartsy that cover fundamentals of the program taught by Ryan Kingslien. Be warned though he can talk and talk but is very thorough.
    Zbrush becomes totally different when you stop fighting with the program and can just create. I feel his tutorials provided me with the largest increase in understanding and work flow improvements.

If you're like me and have never studied anatomy before last year I also suggest the facial anatomy course he teaches. It's 50$ but in my opinion 50$ well spent. It improved my faces and skulls a lot which honestly isn't saying much though.
    I'm also wading my way through several things taught by Steve Lord and he's an amazing artist and worth looking into as well.

As for anatomy books I absolutely love Eliot Goldfinger's Human Anatomy for Artists. It's expensive but absolutely fantastic in my opinion. You can find it here.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I'm no great master just another beginner slogging up the slope with you.

Cheers,
    Tormented

Firstly, thanks for the compliment. I'm really just finding my way around the app, your feedback is very much appreciated though : )

Thanks particularly for the book recommendation, I have seen lots of people mentioning the Elliot Goldfinger book so it sounds like a really useful buy an the courses you referenced look great too. Exactly what i was looking for so thanks.

There's so much talent here it's extremely intimidating, some of the work is just mind-blowing, us newbies need to stick together LOL, thanks once again for taking time to respond.

Member Follow User Gallery

Very nice work as first post, for your question about tutorials. I am not sure if you saw the Zclassroom, here on zbrushcentral, it is under the Top Row section. I find it maybe two weeks ago (I know, I am an *******, plenty of incredible tutorials, explaining everything I was wondering about and it was right in front of my nose ...) so dont make the same mistake and check it : http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/home...ital-sculpting If you look, closer, click on the Helmet designing tutorial, so much great techniques And dont worry, there are many of us, who come to ZBCentral and feel bad when we see those excellent pieces But keep up doing good work, study as much as possible and alway try something new. Do not stuck on som style/techniqe. Zbrush is giant program with neverending possibilities

Hi,
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post and also pointing me to the tutorials, much appreciated.
    I am really enjoying zbrush and have started looking at more detailed anatomy books etc.
    Really like you latest piece BTW, has a very magical look to it : )

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks mate, I am glad you like it, it makes me really happy, if someone remember something from me, or enjoy the look on my work you have much more better first sculpt than I have, so I am looking forward for your next work