ZBrushCentral

Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN V Fan Art (WIP)

Hello everyone!

For those who have not seen the news, Neill Blomkamp revealed several concept art images on his instagram account for a project he was working on which looks to have been a potential Alien 5!

Check out the link to his account below to see his work:

http://instagram.com/neillblomkamp/

I am huge fan of the Alien series, and of Neill’s film District 9. When I saw these images earlier today on Facebook, I got incredibly excited and started sculpting as soon as I got home from work.

I’ll try to update at least once a week until it’s finished, but definitely not going to rush it- I really want this to be very polished; plus, this is going to be very fun for me, so might as well savor it. =)
My goal is to recreate these concepts faithfully, but also add a little bit of my own artistic license to them, so I’m in no rush.

If you happen to see this Mr. Blomkamp, thank you for sharing your work! I hope you like my homage to it.

Kicking off this first post with the start of Neill’s Ripley concept alongside my work-in-progress sculpt.

About 2.5 hours in so far and a lot more refinement to be done, but hope you guys dig it so far! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

NB_ALIEN_V_01.jpg

NB_ALIEN_V_02.jpg

Fantastic work really ! i love it and wait to see your output :+1:

TomatoVFX: Thank you! Glad you are liking it so far!

Put some more time into it today and roughed out the rest of the suit. Roughed out Ripley’s proportions as well. I am going to be basing the rest of the suit heavily off of various H.R. Giger paintings- I definitely want to bring a lot of Giger’s visuals and themes of procreation/birth into this. Ripley is a survivor whom has endured much horror and violation by the Alien, and is also more a part of the Alien than ever, as told in Alien Resurrection (avoiding spoilers- those who have seen it know what I mean), so I want that to be apparent in the rest of the suit.

I can only speculate why/how Ripley comes to be within this Space Jockey/Engineer Suit for Neill’s vision, but I would imagine being in this suit would be, and should be, a nightmare in and of itself, the Alien literally and metaphorically being wrapped around Ripley, hence why the part of the suit design we do see in Neill’s concept seems to emulate the first Alien, especially the helmet.

I am also incorporating some design cues of the Alien Queen into the suit, particularly the legs- definitely going to experiment more, but I am liking the direction so far.

Critique is always very much welcome; I’d love to hear what people think and how I can improve this design. I have always found it a bit intimidating to share my work in such early stages where things are “blobby” and proportions and anatomy are not yet solidified, but I think by sharing from the beginning I get to show you all the whole ride; the good, the bad, and the ugly. I hope to learn much from this project as well as have some fun along the way. I hope Neill gets to make this movie some day- Ripley deserves one more chapter. I will do my best to stay true to Neill’s concept while adding the rest of the suit. At this point all I can do is infer what the rest of it might look like, but that’s part of the fun after all. =)

Jason signing off. =)

Hi Everyone!

Worked a bit more on Ripley’s face; I think she’s looking a lot closer to Sigourney Weaver now than my previous iteration. Gonna fix up the body a bit next and then I think we are ready for ZRemesher and refinement work in Sub Ds. Once her overall anatomy is solid, I can get back to working on the suit. Gathered a ton of reference, so I’ll be ready to rock on getting that further along soon.

I’m still working with symmetry on at this stage- I want to get as close as I can to getting the likeness/proportions accurate with symmetry on before doing all the natural asymmetrical features. It will definitely take more than a few passes though to get her likeness just right. =)

Thanks for looking! Jason signing off.

I just found out about Neill Blomkamp’s concept art. Nice Fan art, keep it going!