New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sculpting Anime WIP

Just felt like sharing a few WIP I've been working on since I've started learning to sculpt anime characters in zbrush.
    It was quite a lot of trial and errors trying to get the proper anime look down to point but I am quite happy with the progress I've made thus far. Still have a lot more tweaking to do before I can say I'm confident enough to sculpt any anime characters I want but for now I'll just share what I have.
    All of these are rendered in zBrush BPR using a few different custom skinshade4, Blinn and Basic Material with some adjustments and edited in PS.

Default Sculpting Anime WIP (cont.) - Inubozaki Fuu posed and extra bits.

Worked on this fanart a bit.Quite happy with how the pose came out despite not being able to use transpose master (keeps crashing zbrush
    for some reason) Had to pose each subtool one at a time, though I seem to now prefer doing this rather than relying on tranpose master,
    maybe due to having more control or something. I'm sure there're many ways I can improve this sculpt but for now I feel that I lack the knowledge
    and experience needed to take this further and if I keep nitpicking I won't move on to the next character. So for now I'm leaving it here and will come
    back to it again in a few weeks or so after doing some more studies.
    For the time being, please enjoy your visit.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I like how dynamic this pose is. Really captures the anime figurine style well. You also capture the head silhouettes very well.

What is your approach to starting an anime style head / face? Specifically:

- What are the pitfalls you avoid when creating them?
    - Do you start by doing: Dollface? Polished realistic face? Classical anime blocking?
    - Personal rules for eye scale?

Sorry for many questions, but you seem to have a technique and firm understanding that appears pretty fluid. If you have the time or want to reveal that would be awesome.

Wow thats amazing, I'm trying to make flowing clothing like that
    and clothing in general. Could you post a small tutorial on how to make the folds
    bend in the air like that? I'm trying with Move elastic but it still doesn't look very natural...

Thanks

Default Sculpting Anime WIP

Hey there guys, sorry for the late reply. Just got back from a short break and been a bit busy with applying for jobs at the moment.

I've been pondering on doing a tutorial for how I did the anime style look, though I feel there's still a lot more I can improve on before doing any complete how-to. Although I could give a few pointers as to how I got this far.

First of all, to answer Takai's question regarding the head: I tried to use as few brushes as possible. I find that the ClipCurve, TrimDynamics, sPolish, Inflate, Move Topological works best to get the best flow and consistent curves of the face. I start with a plain dynamesh ball and use the clip curve and move brush to get the basic shape of the face and trim dynamics to work the planes of the face. Work in parts and every so often check the overall silhouette to make sure it looks correct. I'd use a Matcap that can give me a clear highlight in viewport to make sure the face is smooth. Use the lights in zbrush to help get a better angle on the shadows. As for scale of the eyes, that's really open to interpretation. I mostly use observation to judge the scales of the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc. but like every anime, there are different styles and proportions to each of them so there's no direct answer to that question.

To Zeriel00, I'm still figuring that out myself. I'm no expert on cloth so I rely on a little bit of imagination when coming up with the flow, but I'll do my best to help. I'm assuming, of course, that you were referring to Fuu (the blonde one) and the flowing cloth around her legs. I'd use Mask Lasso to mask out the parts that I want to work with first (you can polygroup them if you want but since it's a couple of big parts that are easy to mask I didn't bother with that) - After I masked that part, I'd use the Rotate ruler/transpose line tool to move and rotate the cloth in the direction that I want. A low intensity smooth brush helps to fix some of the errors from moving and rotating. Once I've got it in the direction that I want, I'd use a combination of move and a large standard brush to create the effect of flowing cloth. Dam standard is also great for getting some of those creases in as well.

I know this isn't a proper tutorial, and I have no idea when I can finally do a proper one since job applications, interviews and what-not, but if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities. If you have friends or people that are interested in 3D anime or anime figures in general, do pass this along. I'd love to get their opinions and feedback.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up

Fantastic works, great style. I especially love the second picture of the girl with long orange hair, yuukiyuuna.jpg, has a lovely movement and flow, and a very solid stance.
    The way you have created their faces is excellent, really like the expression and eyes of ShinobuEDIT.jpg girl

Cheers :]

Thumbs up

AMAZING ANIME SCULPT
    which part is made with dynamesh first ? Does the hair use dynamesh ?
    did you make them all in zbrush ?
    And sorry for many questions
    Hope you make another beauty sculpt more .

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the kind words. Had a huge joy sculpting Yuuki Yuuna. Went through quite a few different iterations before finally settling on that pose and flow. And yes, I am planning to do more and have started on a new one that is proving to be quite a challenge. I'll post some WIP shots up once I've got a good direction for it. I do try to stay in zBrush as far as workflow goes, trying to master all the little tricks that zBrush has to offer and for hair I block it out using CurveTube brushes and once the hair shape is final I use dynamesh to make it one solid piece.