Senior Member Follow User Gallery

WHO SAYS DISPLACEMENTS AREN'T FUN

Minute or 2 of Modeling with Dynamesh, quick Zremesh, Apply the Displacment Map from a few Post above, Render in Keyshot, some Photoshop Love, and Viola! Something Unthinkably Cool. Enjoy ;-)

Cool...

Awesomeness!
    Impressive render.

Some comments on the last video tut:
    1. The use of inflate deformation. You don't really need to do so.
    Under displacement panel, there is a mid value slider. It determines how the grey scale (displ map) will work.
    By default it's 0.5. Grey will be neutral, black carves deeper, white extrudes. Value 0 mean black will be neutral. Everything will work as inflate deformation. You may preview how it works (mode displ On). Fortunately it works when applying displ. Oh yeah, lol.

2. The use of tiff displ maps. Tiff 16 bit. JPG adds noise of course, it is also 8 bit, will produce nasty scale effect on gradients.
    3. To upload maps, my suggestion is dropbox. Zip (compress these tiff files and upload / share in dropbox.
    Example, using IMM greeble brush, seamless (in Pshop), tiff B&W 16 bit, 2044x2044 ~ 8.5 Mb. Zipped ~165 k only.
    Dropbox download link

BTW, michalis = Michael.

Love that last one! Wish my minute or two turned out results this well!
    Custom Jewellery Design - Third Dimension Jewellery

michalis
    Awesomeness!
    Impressive render.

Some comments on the last video tut:
    1. The use of inflate deformation. You don't really need to do so.
    Under displacement panel, there is a mid value slider. It determines how the grey scale (displ map) will work.
    By default it's 0.5. Grey will be neutral, black carves deeper, white extrudes. Value 0 mean black will be neutral. Everything will work as inflate deformation. You may preview how it works (mode displ On). Fortunately it works when applying displ. Oh yeah, lol.

2. The use of tiff displ maps. Tiff 16 bit. JPG adds noise of course, it is also 8 bit, will produce nasty scale effect on gradients.
    3. To upload maps, my suggestion is dropbox. Zip (compress these tiff files and upload / share in dropbox.
    Example, using IMM greeble brush, seamless (in Pshop), tiff B&W 16 bit, 2044x2044 ~ 8.5 Mb. Zipped ~165 k only.
    Dropbox download link
    Thanks Michael, you are Truly the Master of Displacements. Guess I should of Talked to you bout Displacements before I started the Tutorials, but its sometimes better to learn through Trials and Errors I guess. I thought about doing the Dropbox thing, but then I thought I want people trying to create there own displacements then just use mine, I've been using your for years and I have gotten more satisfaction out of using my own knowing that its my displacement, I did that, if you know what I mean. Big Thanks Again.

lensman888
    Love that last one! Wish my minute or two turned out results this well!
    Thanks! The more you play with Displacements the More you understand you dont need super complex Geometry. All I did was Pull out some shapes with Snake Hook brush and use the move a bit on a DynaMesh sphere, then Zremeshed at the Defaullt values to get a 5k mesh then start exploring with uv's change the tilling till I saw something I liked, did all the displacement process, and finally took over to Keyshot did my little lighting trick with reapplying my Depth Map as a Bump Map, Viola something Cool and Unique.

paleo3d
    Cool...
    Thanks

Thanks for all the shared work.. still trying to retain the workflow but rinse, wash, repeat will eventually get me there..Thanks again for the tutorials and greebles.

dolphinius
    Thanks for all the shared work.. still trying to retain the workflow but rinse, wash, repeat will eventually get me there..Thanks again for the tutorials and greebles.
    Your Most Welcome. Thats the Trick, keep Practicing and Experimenting, you'll Always Succeed if you do that.

Whoa! Let's party!

Super cool stuff happening here!

paleo3d, michalis on board.......where's mealea??? I expect doing something to blow everyone
    out of the water.

Great dialogue between you guys.....I'm taking it in and working on it asap....haven't even had much time for
    ArrayMess/NanoMesh yet.

But just following your ZModeling to make the cube frame was very
    helpful just to get my feet wet.

GMP1993,
    great modeling & renders! Is that an "OK" sky in the background in image above?

BTW, been shooting RAW today to make a "pseudo" HDR with one image.

Also upgraded to Octane v2.....lots of hoops to get it up, but working fine now.
    I'll see how it handles ZBrsushed greebled meshes.

Also will try your maps in Blender UV editor.

One nice thing about KeyShot is how easy it is to use. But the Octane Standalone
    plus Blender plugin was still ~$100 less than KS, and gives me a way to animate
    these amazing creations via Blender.

So much coolness!

Here's my tutorial result in C4D (animation to follow)

But just following your ZModeling to make the cube frame was very
    helpful just to get my feet wet.
    Took me a Minute to figure that one out. Tried Qmesh on all 6 sides at same time and Qmesh said Nope Not Today, then finally with trial and Error I got it. Qmesh can be a little Stubborn, but I beat him back into shape lol.

great modeling & renders! Is that an "OK" sky in the background in image above?
    No its just a KS environment, but I might start looking to do some of mine in a Backplate

BTW, been shooting RAW today to make a "pseudo" HDR with one image.
    RAW is the way to go, havent shot in JPEG since 2004 and never looked back. Much more info in a RAW file.

Here's my tutorial result in C4D (animation to follow)
    Cant wait to see the Animation.

I thought about doing the Dropbox thing, but then I thought I want people trying to create there own displacements then just use mine, I've been using your for years and I have gotten more satisfaction out of using my own knowing that its my displacement, I did that, if you know what I mean.

I very well know what you mean, I'm using mine for years too.
    Some thoughts on seamless displ maps.
    They are OK, however not really necessary in such workarounds. Having all these UV islands placed randomly on the map…
    Today I tested the unofficial GoB(lender) plugin. Impressive work, I wonder why not official yet.
    Now, I can jump directly into blender UV editor.
    Pixologic tried to protect people from doing really messy nasty things when baking displacement maps from multiresolution. This may explain why the "bug". Just saying.

Some thoughts on seamless displ maps.
    They are OK, however not really necessary in such workarounds. Having all these UV islands placed randomly on the map…
    True they aren't really necessary, someone asked if there's a way to do it so I explored it. Did find that its nice to be seamless when applying UVp and UVtile on lowres models it'll wrap seamlessly around a edge. With PUV/GUV not Necessary.

Today I tested the unofficial GoB(lender) plugin. Impressive work, I wonder why not official yet.
    Now, I can jump directly into blender UV editor.
    Pixologic tried to protect people from doing really messy nasty things when baking displacement maps from multiresolution. This may explain why the "bug". Just saying.
    Been following that Thread. Still havent played enough with Blender to be comfortable with it, the program gets Better by the Day.

Here's Another Crazy Displacement I threw together this morning. Enjoy ;-)

WOW, Love it!

Thank You. For my next Trick try to get some Maps out of Zbrush for one of these Models to Play Correctly in Substance Painter and Element 3D. That may take me a Minute or 2 Lol

GMP1993,

Really like those "things"! Would love to see them animated, turning their "heads" to search...
    for humans??!! Maybe they're just a family on a holiday outing exploring a world far, far away (?)

What do they look like??? Where are they from??? =O

For my next Trick try to get some Maps out of Zbrush for one of these Models to Play Correctly in Substance Painter and Element 3D.
    And AfterEffects. (all of which I wish I had!).

I uploaded my video that came out of your open cube tutorial to YouTube, but it looked so bad, I deleted it on YouTube.
    Here the 8.8mb MP4 "Time Machine1" ....(right click, "save as") if anyone wants to see it.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 456789101631 ... LastLast