Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Morbius Having fun, Glenn!

Just to let you know your efforts aren't wasted, but much appreciated!

I Greebled and generated the displacement map, and got this far in modeling tonight:
    Looking Good Morbius. Keep it up. One Note on the Top and Bottom Ring isnt capped off, might of accidentally deleted it. I would just delete those extra edge loops and you should be fine.

It's going a bit slower for me, since I'm working with the default UI rather than your custom one,
    and sometimes takes awhile for me to locate things like 'Double' and 'Delete Hidden', etc. I thought if
    I used your UI, I'd wouldn't be locating things for myself, and I really need to find my way around.

Anyway, it's great fun, and just thought I'd post a little progress! Looking forward to getting back at it tomorrow.

You're an excellent instructor, too! Look what ya got me doing!

Thanks!
    I should use the Default Menu and show everyone where these tools are instead of using my UI, I'll remember that in the Future. May to do a quick Tutorial on Building a Personal UI.

GNP1993,
    when I fire up SP, it says my GPU driver is out of date (but SP seems to run Ok)

Do you use a driver updater or the Device Manager?
    SP should run Fine, but is always recommended to have a updated Driver, usually I use GeForce Experience to update my Driver.

Any idea why I get all the way thru the uv's(and tweaked), texture, displace, subdiv...
    But on export - import it loses the displace?

It is like it don't export as 1 to 1 uvs, reimports with uv's as 2.6 to 1.8 ish as before.

ps, thanks for the tutorials and sharing your process, maps and knowledge
    Allegorithmic's rocking the texture world, cant wait for your tut on that one

Cheers,
    ~Tung

Tungerz
    Any idea why I get all the way thru the uv's(and tweaked), texture, displace, subdiv...
    But on export - import it loses the displace?

It is like it don't export as 1 to 1 uvs, reimports with uv's as 2.6 to 1.8 ish as before.

ps, thanks for the tutorials and sharing your process, maps and knowledge
    Allegorithmic's rocking the texture world, cant wait for your tut on that one

Cheers,
    ~Tung
    With my Experimentation in the Past, I've found if you use Solid Numbers in the Tiling i.e. 2,3,4 and not 1.235 2.95 4.5214 and so on the Export Trick will work on Displacements. Sorry I never mentioned that in Tutorials, its why you always see me using Solid numbers with no decimal points on my Tiling.

Here's Hoping Zbrush 5 fixes the UV system

Cool, that worked, weird that it does that (ô¿ô)...
    but cool that your trick works

Thanks

Tungerz
    Cool, that worked, weird that it does that (ô¿ô)...
    but cool that your trick works

Thanks
    Your Welcome! Glad it Worked

Looking Good Morbius. Keep it up. One Note on the Top and Bottom Ring isnt capped off, might of accidentally deleted it. I would just delete those extra edge loops and you should be fine.
    Oops. Did not notice that! Thanks! I'll see if I can figure out how to do that! Probably because I didn't 'Grow' the selection when deleting the top and bottom of the sphere? Couldn't find the Grow button, but I know where it is now!

One other question. I noticed when I was scrubbing the random seed when I was working on the greebles, it was scrubbing REAL slow, and was all jerky - unlike yours moving nice and smooth. I did some research, and found the 'Mem' slider under Preferences, but can't find an explanation (even in the Docs!) for usage. I'm on a Mac with 16 gig ram, and run HUGE multi-million poly models in Modo with no problem. In ZB, it was working fine when modeling. Smooth as silk. But working on the greebles was slower than heck.

The Mem slider goes up to 4096, but I don't know what that means, and can't find an explanation. It was set at what I guess is default @ 256. Is the slider supposed to represent a percentage of available Ram? I have no idea. Doesn't seem like 4096 would represent a percentage, but I can't find a single piece of information about it. I'm assuming that means 4 gig Ram?, in which case I should crank it all the way up? I'm running the 32-bit version of ZB btw.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh boy, that radar dish is a bear!

Nothing like a good challenge to brighten the day!

One other question. I noticed when I was scrubbing the random seed when I was working on the greebles, it was scrubbing REAL slow, and was all jerky - unlike yours moving nice and smooth. I did some research, and found the 'Mem' slider under Preferences, but can't find an explanation (even in the Docs!) for usage. I'm on a Mac with 16 gig ram, and run HUGE multi-million poly models in Modo with no problem. In ZB, it was working fine when modeling. Smooth as silk. But working on the greebles was slower than heck.
    It still slows down on my PC. Greeble 1-3 run pretty smooth, but 4-6 have more geo so it slows down a bit and I have 16 GB of RAM on my PC, so its not just you.

The Mem slider goes up to 4096, but I don't know what that means, and can't find an explanation. It was set at what I guess is default @ 256. Is the slider supposed to represent a percentage of available Ram? I have no idea. Doesn't seem like 4096 would represent a percentage, but I can't find a single piece of information about it. I'm assuming that means 4 gig Ram?, in which case I should crank it all the way up? I'm running the 32-bit version of ZB btw.
    I believe that is the Compact Memory Slider, which Zbrush will compact the memory every once in awhile and store on hardrive to free up space for RAM. You should try 64Bit its really stable and itll use all your RAM instead of 4 GB.

Morbius
    Oh boy, that radar dish is a bear!

Nothing like a good challenge to brighten the day!
    Had to Challenge myself with that one to see if I could get ArrayMesh to do what I wanted it to do for me.

Thumbs up nice

hi Glenn , wanted to drop you a note to say am enjoying your tuts. .. as a new user i am somewhat lost and am watching a lot of the ones out there ,a good portion of which move way to fast , yours slow things down quite a bit and explain things a bit more than a lot of them ... as someone who generally doesn't go for most tuts due to the speed of them its nice to come across some that i can find useful for a change ...thought you might like to see what i managed to come up with on my first try out ... i sent it over to daz and used it .... thanks a bunch for making this a bit easier to learn ..... Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gotta-go-.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	494.7 KB 
ID:	447648  

msm903
    nice
    hi Glenn , wanted to drop you a note to say am enjoying your tuts. .. as a new user i am somewhat lost and am watching a lot of the ones out there ,a good portion of which move way to fast , yours slow things down quite a bit and explain things a bit more than a lot of them ... as someone who generally doesn't go for most tuts due to the speed of them its nice to come across some that i can find useful for a change ...thought you might like to see what i managed to come up with on my first try out ... i sent it over to daz and used it .... thanks a bunch for making this a bit easier to learn ..... Mike
    Your Very Welcome. Thanks for Stopping By and showing us your Results. Keep it up, the more you Practice with Zbrush, the Easier it gets.

Well, Glenn, I finally got all the modeling done, and I think it turned out pretty good - although I cheated on the radar dish!

I went ahead with the greebles and displacement, but by the time I got the SubD up to around 11 million polys, I could barely turned the model on the screen. It would take a minute or so just to turn a tiny increment, so I thought I'd rest my brain for the night. I also think I'm going to rework the greebles. It just seems to be too much. Too busy, if that makes any sense. Not nearly as nice as yours turned out. So, I'll get back to generating some new, less 'busy' ones tomorrow, and have at it again.

Great fun at any rate!

I went ahead with the greebles and displacement, but by the time I got the SubD up to around 11 million polys, I could barely turned the model on the screen. It would take a minute or so just to turn a tiny increment, so I thought I'd rest my brain for the night. I also think I'm going to rework the greebles. It just seems to be too much. Too busy, if that makes any sense. Not nearly as nice as yours turned out. So, I'll get back to generating some new, less 'busy' ones tomorrow, and have at it again.

Great fun at any rate!
    Looking Great! Glad your having Fun. I think your sluggish performance issue might be the fact that quick 3d edit is disabled, after you displace go to Transform Pallet and click quick 3d edit, you might get some better performance. Have you tried the 64 bit Zbrush, your memory issues might clear up for you.

...after you displace go to Transform Pallet and click quick 3d edit, you might get some better performance. Have you tried the 64 bit Zbrush, your memory issues might clear up for you.
    Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow!

No, I can't run the 64-bit. I'll have to wait for ZB5 on that, assuming they still support my OS in the next release.

When 4R7 was released, they had to write a patch specifically for my Mac Pro1,1, as some part of their coding was not recognized by my hardware. The fix for that was incorporated into the first update they released, but still not for the 64-bit.

I really need a newer Mac, but being retired and on a pension kind of prohibits that, at least for another year or so. In the meantime, I just have to make do. You'd think 16 gig of ram would handle anything ZB could throw at it, but if ZB only makes use of 4 gig, well, that's that. Strangely though, I can run multi-million poly models in other 3D apps with no problems, so it may just be something I'm doing wrong, or a setting somewhere.

Anyway, onward and upward! There's always a work-around lurking 'round the corner.

Thanks, Glenn! I'll be back when I re-Greeble to my satisfaction!

Morbius! Watch your "6"! Something is approaching from the southwest! =O

ps- it's a Krell

Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow!

No, I can't run the 64-bit. I'll have to wait for ZB5 on that, assuming they still support my OS in the next release.

When 4R7 was released, they had to write a patch specifically for my Mac Pro1,1, as some part of their coding was not recognized by my hardware. The fix for that was incorporated into the first update they released, but still not for the 64-bit.

I really need a newer Mac, but being retired and on a pension kind of prohibits that, at least for another year or so. In the meantime, I just have to make do. You'd think 16 gig of ram would handle anything ZB could throw at it, but if ZB only makes use of 4 gig, well, that's that. Strangely though, I can run multi-million poly models in other 3D apps with no problems, so it may just be something I'm doing wrong, or a setting somewhere.

Anyway, onward and upward! There's always a work-around lurking 'round the corner.

Thanks, Glenn! I'll be back when I re-Greeble to my satisfaction!
    I'm sure they'll take care of you on the Mac, they've been getting better at it. Hopefully they'll get that work around for you.

megacal Morbius! Watch your "6"! Something is approaching from the southwest! =O
    Looking Good. Cant wait to see that one animated.