Member Follow User Gallery

Default 3D Prints

Hello All,

So, I got a 3D printer over the holidays and spent the last couple months testing and tuning it, and figuring out the workflow from ZB to the printer. Well, this month, I finally decided to stop doing test prints and go for a complete print, so here it is! Decided to prototype an approximately 1/9 scale (8 inch) print of my Connery Bond model as my first piece. I took my original model, dynameshed it, booleaned in some assembly guides, decimated it, then printed it in pieces. Then it was just a matter of sanding the pieces, gluing it together and faux bronzing it. Really happy with how it turned out. Hope you all like it. The printer is a CEL Robox, and it's great! BTW, considering doing a limited run of this as a model kit and looking into production costs, so let me know if there's any interest. OK, stay tuned for more prints... Thanks!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Beautiful sculpt and 3d print, well done!
    My updated portfolio
    My sketchbook
    My 3d prints
    Available for full time / freelance job

Thanks Aumakua! Your work is great! So detailed.

Thank you
    My updated portfolio
    My sketchbook
    My 3d prints

Hello All,

Here's my latest 3D print... my tribute to Leonard Nimoy. After his passing, I wanted to print a Spock bust that I already had, but thought it could use more work on the likeness. So I spent some time and got it to where I feel pretty good about it. This is a 1/5 scale test print. Gonna make a few minor revisions, then go for the final size... a 1/3 scale bust! Hope you all like it. Thanks.

Beautiful print and great likeness too!
    My updated portfolio
    My sketchbook
    My 3d prints

wonderful portrait, capturing his spirit!
    my fun with zbrush thread, my homepage riolama, and my zbrush blog

Nice! I do like the final look of your prints. They look like the finished product.

Thanks Aumakua, kokoro and digitalmax!

COOL... I got a great write-up about my Spock Bust over at 3DPrint.com!

http://3dprint.com/55043/star-trek-spock-3d-printed/

You use too much lens deformation on your camera.

I dont think you have that angle in the forehead. you need to share 3quarter view reference.

Hello All, wanted to share my latest print. It's just such a kick to be able to sculpt something in ZBrush, and then see it on my shelf a few hours later. Very rewarding! Anyway, it's supposed to be Humphrey Bogart. Printed at about 1/4 scale on my CEL-Robox printer. Hope you like it!

BTW, thanks Scote for pointing out the lens distortion on the Spock pics. I was just using my cell phone camera, and it never occured to me to check what the focal length was. Turns out to be about 25mm, so yeah, I was getting a ton of distortion when I filled the little prints in the frame. I didn't notice it so much on Spock, but when I went to shoot the pics of the Bogart bust, his hat looked gigantic. Haha, so I dug out my trusty old Sony Alpha 100 DSLR with a 50mm lens for these pics.

the printed pieces

Cool stuff, I think I'm going to purchase a 3D printer at some point soon. I'd really like to play with one again for personal art, haven't had access in quite some time and I don't ever get to see any of my freelance stuff as a tangible product until years later. Are you happy with the resolution coming out of your printer and does it require a lot of clean up? I've used a makerbot replicator 2 and it was a little lower resolution then I would like, but it doesn't require "a lot" of clean up and the PLA material was very affordable... seems to go drastically up in price when higher resolutions are concerned.
    Dan Mitchell
    3D Character Artist/2D Concept Artist
    Currently working at Hasbro, Inc as a digital sculptor and some freelance on the side.
    http://deathmetaldan.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks Dan. Hey, your stuff is great!

Yeah, I'm totally happy with the resolution on the Robox and I don't even print things at the highest resolution possible. Most of the stuff I print on the "Normal" setting (200 microns) because I rather just get things sooner and sand them as necessary. I can't seem to get myself to commit to a 20 hour print or whatever on the Fine setting yet (and the Robox can actually print as fine as 20 microns, which would probably be like a week or something to print out just the head!). But I'm working up to it though!

The automatic supports that the control software generates are a breeze to clean up. They come right off and the contact points just need a light sanding to remove.

As far as the material... it's about $40 for a reel and it seems to last a long time. Think I've gone through maybe 2.25 reels in the last 6 months. I print things with very little in-fill though, so that, plus printing on the medium resolution, helps stretch things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast