New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sprite Sheets in Zbrush

Ok, I have been working with Z brush for years now as a student. I took a break from pursuing my bachelor's in game design to up my level of art and research workflows. One cool thing I found out you could do is make sprite sheets. It's real simple.

The first thing you want to do is come up with a model or you can use just a simple sphere to test this out. (I don't have zbrush in front of me right now so bare with me. I'm currently working over the road, but my mind is still in the zone of games/art )

Now that you have a sphere or model, you can go a couple of different ways with this depending on how complexed the model is and how you want to animate it. If you have a biped type model, you can rig it using zsperes, which is farely simple and there are tutorials all over on how to. If you have a sphere, you can use the brushes to manipulate and animate.

The next thing you want to do is to set up the camera in zbrush. You can do this using the texture pallet and the imageplane sub menus. So go to the texture menus, then imageplane, and then set up the camera to where you want it. Click the view you want to save it as and click store view. Now you have it set to where you can always go back and get this particular view for you sprite to be made.

Now that the camera is set up, manipulate the model, go to the stored view, go to document, and export. Save the file name so you can import them as a series in Photoshop.

In Photoshop, it's easier to setup the guides as a grid first then import and resize your jpegs afterwards.

This is just another way that zbrush can be used as a really power piece of programing genius. It's limitless the things you can do from here as far as sprites.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sprite Sheets cont.

You also want to have the view port color as a solid color. That color depends on where you're going with the sprite sheet after Photoshop.