Default Anisoptera

My "little" dragonfly, created entirely with Zbrush. A great deal of trial and time went into this one, and I learned so much!. I have a new fascination and respect for these fierce little creatures; the further I got into this project, the more I realized I couldn't cut corners or stop short. The wings were a particular challenge, and required many attempts... each wing was meticulously constructed one vein and cell at a time; rather than being 2D planar elements, the wings are fully realized three-dimensional models. The compound eyes are made of 24,000 components. I'll post another image sometime to show how the legs, head and wings move freely. I made allowances to animate this model in the future. The anatomy may not be perfect, but it contains elements of truth and detail that startle me nonetheless. For me, drawing is a process that ocurrs mainly in the mind; it requires a conception and awareness that goes beyond "mere" reproduction. Coordinating images in the mind is as important as coordinating the hand with the brain. Uniting those faculties in images like these gives me a great sense of accomplishment. In addition, it opens the door to increasingly difficult challenges.

New Member Follow User Gallery

I love this!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks very much!

Amazing

Thank you!

Perfect

Thank you, kecaj!

Amazing Art! How did you get references for the work? Were you able to create this with just images from the internet? The fact that each cell of the wings are individual is amazing. I personally think it adds more realism to the model than anything else. To me, the majestic wings are the focal point and center piece of the compilation. Keep it going!

Thank you Jon, I really appreciate it! I did use references mainly from my own photographs (I have a lot of dragonfly friends hanging out by the back pool) but I'm also proud to say that almost all of it was drawn from memory. I spend a lot of time with my reference images, but then I put them away and sit down fresh. After finishing my initial models, I revise them for accuracy again. I made 5 different wing prototypes, two heads, and a few different sets of legs. I make note too of the names of all the relevant parts, and that helps my recall of the object as well. I had a heck of a time trying to make a 3D wing with such delicacy and detail. It gives me some great ideas for other winged things in the future!

That is a ton of work! Nice job.

Thanks very much, Lynne!

Amazing.
    RAH

Thanks, Rachel!

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast