ZBrushCentral

Anatomy for sculptors

Hey guys,

me (Sergio Alessandro Servillo) Uldis Zarins and Sandis Kondrats and a bunch of other people are working very hard on hour new book: HEAD AND NECK ANATOMY. I will post some images of our work in progress here from time to time!

Take care and hope you will enjoy our work!

Attachments

As always Zbrush is our tool of choice for all the sculpting and texturing work! With the new Keyshot bridge is even more awesome!!!

no perspective.jpg
10925501_744525582313260_1743203745266548036_o (1).jpg
10911345_742827729149712_1378083061430323109_o.jpg

Great work ! My only crit would be that the temporal line is too sharp.

Hey Ouran,

thank you very much! The head is a little stylized to help people understand forms and major planes. It will also follow a planar version. This is why some areas are more planar or sharp.

cheers.
Sergio

looks great so far!! :slight_smile:
but shouldn’t the forehead be a bit bigger? now the eyes aren’t around the middle of the head anymore
but I’m not an expert I’m just curious^^

Thanks fynn! :slight_smile:

As I wrote those are work in progress images. The eyes are at the center and the forehead for shure need more work. I will post future updates soon!

I like planar style models – even human forms. :slight_smile:

Very interesting thread – excellent work!

Thanks a ton!

Great project!

I love the anatomy4sculptors book, but these images are making me doubt the head book will be any good. The example sculpt’s proportions are way off track, the poor guy’s brain is being squished. This is detrimental marketing, guys.

Do you all have an ETA for the Head and Neck book’s arrival date?

thanks guys! I will post more images and an eta asap! I will keep this post updated.

@marczwan: As i wrote before those are work in progress images and as you should know zbrush has no real camera so there is lot of distortion here. This is not marketing, this is the will to share with the community, who loves our works, what’s one of the future projects.
The book will me awesome as the first one or more, we learned a lot during that process. Please if you have better images on heads sculpt by you it would be more than cool to see them and possibily use them in the book. You’re gallery is empty.

Sergio

Hi
:slight_smile:
Firstly, as a proud owner of the first book I’d like to say I’m very much looking forward to this second volume.

@Eidan
marczwan’s message may seem harsh (that’s online communication for you) but it’s not without merit.
I have to agree that the proportions of the presented head sculpt are somewhat off. The cranial part is too small compared to the facial part.
To put it in other words: in terms of idealized proportions the eyes are too high making the face too tall and the forehead too short. It is emphasized by a very strong jaw (large jaweline and very tall chin). This leaves the cranial part too small (too short and too narrow).

I took the liberty to browse through your sketchbook Eidan and I have to say your other works seem much better proportioned. (apart from maybe the sketch skull on page 2, but it’s clearly a work in progress)
One of the other images you posted - the one with two skulls - shows a bit of the problem:
11043183_733332600099225_5092707432187980905_oab.jpg
As you can clearly see the orbits of the block-out are too high making the face too big.
From looking at the image with the head sculpt overlaying the skull it also seems to me (but please take this with a pinch of salt as I’m no expert like Uldis) that the eyeballs are placed a tiny bit too high in the orbits which further emphasizes the distortion.

As for the camera in zbrush I’m not exactly sure what you mean. You have perspective view turned off. If anything the orthographic view should only make the cranium seem bigger (sometimes it might seem too big as compared to photos or real life observations) which is definitely not the case.

Lastly calling marczwan out for his empty gallery seems a bit uncalled for. For all you know he might be a master sculptor… :wink:

I have high hopes for this book (as I’m sure many others as well) so I’m hoping you won’t mind this critique.
peace

Attachments

11043183_733332600099225_5092707432187980905_oa.jpg

this looks good eidan!

i am really intrigued to buy the book.

-r

thanks guys! I will post more images and an eta asap! I will keep this post updated.

Thank you. :slight_smile: I checked out your first book, and it gets wonderful reviews! :slight_smile: Congrats.