New Member Follow User Gallery

Video Dragon Ball 3D Sculpture - Fan Art

Yeah!!! I have been featured by CGSociety!!!! Hurraaa!!!! I feel so happy and proud as Goku jumping over everything!

I have done this Dragon Ball 3D sculpture to celebrate this great privilege and pay homage to Akira Toriyama’s stories and to my childhood’s favourite cartoon. I grew up drawing Dragon Ball characters, collecting comics, all kind of merchandising.. a completely fan of Goku’s adventures. This was the main cause that boosted my imagination and my wishes to draw, improve and evolve. I remember drawing gokus and vegetas since I was 7, everywhere, everytime.

I have based this 3D work on an original drawing by Akira Toriyama, trying to match the original looking as much as possible. I think this was the latest drawing I copied from him, before searching another styles and challenges, and it was the first idea that crossed my mind when I read the notice of being featured. I wanted to close the circle and redraw again this great artwork, this time in 3D.

So this is a complete ZBrush 3D sculpture/render, starting from simple 3D spheres and dynamesh, done in 60 hours. I have tried to achieve a 3D/2D/cartoon feeling, with a little bit of posterization in one of material channels, but keeping the 3D volumes and lightning.

This is dedicated to my family and all my school friends with whom I grew up and shared my passions. Thanks for everything!

Check out my youtube channel for the turntable and Making of this sculpture:

Thanks for watching

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Spot on... Great!

Very effective rendering techniques for your desired finished look. Well done! nice sculpting too!

Member Follow User Gallery

nicely done. It work be better if u use a flatter material with a deeper setting with the cavity, it would give it a more cartoon feel. It still look awesome right now.

nicely done. It work be better if u use a flatter material with a deeper setting with the cavity, it would give it a more cartoon feel. It still look awesome right now.
    I would agree if this would be a cartoon but it isn't. Dragonball is an Anime and Anime is a0 different style compared to Cartoon. But indeed it looks awesome.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them!

About the cartoonish/anime feeling, I played a lot with all types of materials and properties, but although I wanted some kind of cartoonish effect, I didn't want it to be extremely hard or visible, just a little bit of it blended with the 3d volumes and shapes, with also a bit of wax effect, as it were a 3D printed model or a wax sculpture painted over. In fact I lowered all the mixing values of cavity/outline/posterization til I was satisfied. Take a look at Goku's boots or at Boo's skin, how that posterization blends together with the wax effect and polypaint. Maybe it would work with a very hard cartoonish material, but it was not what I wanted.

Thank you anyway ;-)

Video Dragon Ball 3D Sculpture Making of

Hey again! Finally it's available the whole making of process of this Dragon Ball Sculpture done completely in ZBrush! Thanks for watching!

Thumbs up

cool job!
    My Email : b.zszsstudio@qq.com
    My TOP ROW work:The Rape Of Proserpina
    My works: artstation

Video

Thank you!! Now it's also available the complete process in a shortened video! Check it out!

amazing work