New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Warframe Shadow: Character Model by Rag Premji

LATEST POST

More work in progress images can be found by clicking through this thread, Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm a big fan of Warframe and its art style and was inspired to create my own version. This character originally started as a concept sculpt that i decided to take further to completion, developing on the idea of organic armor.

I'm uploading some of passes i made to chart my progress and get some fresh eyes on it.

More updates to come!

Have a great day!

Rag.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Man this is really a great sculpt.love the details.keep it up.

Thanks very much for the comments, sculpting organic armour is really fun!

For the moment I'm mainly focusing on the shape and form to see if it reads well.

I will be updating on Sundays so check back for more pics!

Thanks again!

Hi All!

More updates! This week I was mainly focusing on establishing cleaner shapes for the back, legs and face. I am also creating layered armour for him as I think it would look cool to see this Warframe with different material/texture properties.

I also gave a small updates to his helmet, such as the orb located at the side of his head, and the spiked area on the back.

Thanks for looking!

Rag.

I really like the head design.nice details.

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Hi all,

In this weeks update I wanted to establish a colour scheme in the concept images shown. I also did a quick paint over/material render pass to establish some of the different texture properties that I want the final model to have.

I want this Warframe to blend into the surroundings, so I chose a palette of colours that would suit a jungle environment as well as fit the Warframe style.

Thanks for looking!

Rag.

Hi All,

This week i have been mainly concentrating on tightening up the over shape and sharpening up the details of the back armour.

Thanks for looking,

Rag.

As a (self-appointed) warframe super fan, I am going to give you some serious PROPS for tackling a super difficult style (guide) of Michael Brenon's futuristic ninjas.
    Seriously it is difficult, and your WF concept sculpture is looking great!

Here is some serious feedback you can apply to your current or your next WF concept (obviously if you choose, you already have a very deep insight into their design)

Its all about shape with these guys, you can see the progression within the game of how the forms were based in human anatomy then diverged as if to make the viewer question the space ninja's humanity.
    Like Excalibur initially, is very much a clear human male with a beetle's head. I do not know the full story of production's time constraints and or staff constraints but he was on a concept introduction level, acceptable and stable.

As they added more to the roster the shapes got more distinct and abstract. I believe the reasoning behind it was for the viewer to easily identify their player during intense moments. The shapes also were so predominant, that you can identify animal likeness over the human forms.
    Some viewers disdain that aspect, others embellish the unique silhouettes. I am in the latter camp, were the more alien the ninja looked, the better.

Right now, this guy looks unique but there are some things in the shape language that are hurting his design. The detail is nice, but there are few places to rest the eye. One of the tricks that I noticed they did with the frames was outline a secondary shape, sometimes they would use the Tenno language as the outline, and then detail the edges with organic lines. This guides the eye to reference points and I can see in some places were this is present on your model, and in other places it is a bit noisy and overwhelming. The secondary shape's silhouettes could be pushed alot harder on all the limbs.

One place you could take heavy advantage on enhancing this is the helmet and the feet. They have nice shapes initiallized that can just be made larger and more distinct.
    If you make a primary and/or secondary shape really crazy initially, you can always scale it back, but scaling it up is more of a challenge because there is the temptation to not break the foundation.
    To make this guy a hero he has to be distinct and not look like something you would commonly encounter, like a humanoid with organic looking armor; more like organic armor that looks slightly humanoid.
    A good example of the evolution of the shapes of the frames is Limbo. He is basically a large triangle, where the eye starts from the top and reads down (or vice versa).
    Think about what feature you want to be striking to the viewer, even the more contemporary frames had at least one striking feature that was in the "weird zone" (like Ash's upper and for-arm shape).

You are doing a great job so far and he looks cool, but there are things you could do to his concept that could make him really stand out as a important hero. Apologies for the essay critique, I honestly think you are doing a fantastic job so far but are things you can do to enhance him.

Also (here is the most difficult part!), what does he do? What powers does he represent?

I too want to tackle a WF concept sculpture (like many others) but I got stuck right there... and have been vigorously pen sketching designs to get a representative concept that can stick.

I see your guy in the jungle, and I am thinking, maybe he is like predator or a hunter. What is striking about a hunter? You could use that base idea (of what you want the Frame to do or what you want it to represent) and run with it, but it is the most important part of the frame's design. If you start there after establishing the WF is humanoid then the concept can take on a life of its own and sculpting him will flow without resistance.

@Takai: Wow thanks very much for the in depth feedback I really appreciate it! I did start off this model by looking at my favorite Warframe which is Excalibur as a basis for me to understand the design in its basic original form. From there I always intended to rework and evolve my design over time to make him more unique.

I am currently focusing on establishing a better silhouette for his head/body and making him feel that there might be a human underneath the frame itself as I still want the design to read well. This Warframe is a hunter in the jungle and his suit and weapons will reflect that (more updates to come on that!)

Thanks again for getting in touch and have a great day!

Rag.

Hi All!

In this weeks update I wanted to establish a new silhouette for Shadow as I felt it wasn't as unique or as recognizable as the existing Warframes. I focused mainly on the head for the moment, utilizing spikes as his signature design feature.

Also I was playing around with some ideas for Shadow when he is in 'battle mode' and came out with the idea of his head blades flipping out when he engages in combat.

That's all for the moment, and thanks again for looking!

Rag.

Hi all,

In this weeks update I mainly focused on establishing the base design for the kunai, it's still a first pass at the moment but I will add more details soon.

Thanks for looking.

Rag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warframe_ninja_ragp_web_pass_26_07_15.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	464531  

Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of updates recently. Here is the final look of the Kunai in Zbrush, its slightly wider that the original design as I wanted it to look a bit more threatening. These weapons will be slotted into a holster that I will be finalized later on.

Thanks for looking!

Rag.

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been busy working on various things!

In this weeks update I wanted to show the new arm blade armour for Shadow. I thought it would be cool to break up his silhouette so that he doesn't look too symmetrical and to establish the Tenno emblem.

Have a great day!

Rag.

Here is a closer look at the arm blades,

Rag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast